PDA

View Full Version : More Assorted Turnings

Seventh Wood
14th December 2008, 12:04 PM
Hi, all

Sorry to flood the forum with more, but it has been a while since I did any posts.
Attached are photos of a few more turnings.

I did a run of wine bottle stoppers for Christmas presents - I om doing matching coasters but so far only the red gum one is complete. They are swamp sheoak, drooping sheoak, olive and red gum L to R, in a mahogany coaster.

I have done a few small bowls in ash (still not sure - the same lot from the roadside in Adelaide), including one using Raffan's trick of gripping the groove inthe bowl to turn the inside. Both are about 100 -120 mm diameter.

I did a dumpy brown mallee burl bowl (hoping like hell that it would not disintegrate with those cracks). It is only about 100 mm diameter. I scored some 200 X 50 mm blackwood with a good figure and that bowl is included. As per the burl bowl, both have been done with the 50mm Nova jaws in expanding mode.

The Tassie myrtle bowl is my first nesting bowl, but I should use a flatter edge profile for the nesting bowl next time. I have enough for about 4 bowls from the piece of myrtle. I am also trying my first raised beads rather than recessed beads.

Finally I am doing some big rough turning from recent timber collections and have done a 350 mm liquid amber bowl. It sprayed sap all over the shed and my tools so I had to do a lot of WD-40 cleanup. Lots of lovely ribbons of turnings all over the shed.

Cheers,

7th Wood

benji79
14th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Some really nice designs and beautiful wood :2tsup:

Benji

wheelinround
14th December 2008, 02:41 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: Love the Blackwood and the rest

Old farmer
14th December 2008, 04:56 PM
Please never apologise. Your work inspires a newbie. Thanks for showing.

coffenup
14th December 2008, 07:03 PM
i agree I love looking at your work and it gives others ideas
Regards Michael

dai sensei
14th December 2008, 09:51 PM
Very nice assortment 7th Wood. Particulary like the grain on the darker first bowl :2tsup: