PDA

View Full Version : Apricot Jam Recipe

Burnsy
14th December 2008, 01:48 PM
Anyone got a good tried and true apricot jam recipe they would like to share?

Luddite
14th December 2008, 07:39 PM
Burnsy,

I love apricot jam. I have made this recipe often, and can guarantee it works. It comes out of a little book called "Classic Preserves" by Alice May...very 1950s.

1.5 kg fresh apricots
1.5 kg preserving or granulated sugar
300 ml water

Wash the apriciots and cut in half, remove stones. Put the fruit in a solid based pan and simmer for about 15 minutes until the fruit is soft and the water has reduced.Add the sugar slowly and stir until it is completely disolved. Bring to a boil and continue cooking rapidly for about 15 minutes, or until setting point is reached. Place into sterilised jars.

(My old Grand mother used to work out set point by putting some jam onto a saucer and seeing if it was "jam-like" when it cooled. If it wasn't she kept cooking....this is how I do it too, and it works). You can also buy a thermometer and keep cooking it until it gets up to temperature...but I can't remember what that point is, but it would be easily found on the net. Don't use over ripe fruit, most of the pectin required for setting has been converted into sugars.

I also have a recipe for dried aprocot jam. It is a cracking recipe, but not sure where it has gone. Let me know if you would like it, I will have a look.

Good luck. If you need more recipes I have them, but you just substitute the fruit mostly and keep the other 2 ingredients fairly constant.

Anthony

Burnsy
14th December 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks Anthony, will pass this on to LOML who is keen to make some this week, some of the recipes we found had added pectin, will have to wait and see what condition the apricots are in when we get some tomorrow.

HandyAndrea
11th January 2009, 02:29 PM
and the temperature to boil jam to is 105 degrees C

Luddite
11th January 2009, 07:44 PM
and the temperature to boil jam to is 105 degrees C

Hi,

The recipe was in my grandmother's collection of cook books. It is a nice link to my now departed grandmother. It is sort of a link to to her in a way. She had so many wholesome things to make. Shame pre-packaged foods have changed our cooking culture so much.

How is Hawkes Bay? I love that part of NZ.

Cheers,

Anthony

burraboy
13th January 2009, 07:51 AM
We used to add the seeds from the apricots (opened and peeled) at the softening stage to offset the usually low pectin content of the apricots. Adds a nice texture too!

HandyAndrea
13th January 2009, 08:33 PM
runny apricot jam! (Well, just give me the jar and a spoon... never mind bread!) :innocent: I harvested the apricots from my tree just before Christmas and I have fresh jam and more fruit in the freezer for later.

Hawkes Bay is just wonderful. I've only been here a few years. The scenery is beautiful,; the lifestyle is laid-back; almost anything grows here, given enough water; the people are friendly; good beaches are only 30 minutes away; the wine is divine. What more could I ask for? And why did I wait til I was almost 60 to come here?