PDA

View Full Version : i think my lathe burnt out.

weisyboy
14th December 2008, 03:25 PM
turning some chess pieces for a crisy present this arvo and thee was a pop then a lot of smoke coming from the little box on the side of the motor.

the lathe was still going intill i turned the power off so i dont know how serious it is until i pull the thing apart. fingers crossed it aint to bad.

what is the little box anyhow?

texx
14th December 2008, 03:45 PM
capacitor's
you may be able to get the number off them and replace them some are just plug in .
how ever i am not a sparky so i should not be giving advice on the subject.
so dont take any notice of me, just play it safe .
capacitors can store power i believe might be best to check with some one that knows before messing with it.

weisyboy
14th December 2008, 06:15 PM
ok so in the box was a black cylinder thing with plessey motor starter on it. and a white cylinder thing with half the numbers melted of it. and a heap of melted Styrofoam.

the white one reads.

PLESSEY (melted)
IEC252:1975 sh 40/085/(melted)
TYPE m444 m444008001D00A(melted)
Made in Australia ISO 9061 3693 (melted)

what is it?
what caused it to blow up?
where can i get one in brisbane?

flynnsart
14th December 2008, 06:35 PM
What brand is your lathe? The dealer may carry parts.

Donna

Vernonv
14th December 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi Carl,
Sounds like it could be a run capacitor has gone caput. You said that the was also a black cylinder in the box that said "motor starter", is that correct?

Can you see a value on the white cylinder followed by "uF" or "UF" or "Farads"?

weisyboy
14th December 2008, 07:30 PM
its a nova 1600 lathe.

You said that the was also a black cylinder in the box that said "motor starter", is that correct?

yer thats right the motor still ran after it had burnt out and i can start it up and run it with this one still attached but i don't want to as i might do harm.

Can you see a value on the white cylinder followed by "uF" or "UF" or "Farads"?

no luck the hole blew right in the middle of the numbers. what i wrote abova is all i can get from it.

texx
14th December 2008, 08:05 PM
carl i cant help you with places in brissy to take it , the one i used many years ago was hargraves dont know if they still there .
in toowoomba it would be donaldsons electric works.
anyone that does electric motor rewinds and that kind of thing would have what you need .
or industrial type sparky like richardsons .

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2008, 08:20 PM
Give Jim from CWS (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/) a call or send him an email, he'll probably have one in stock or will be able to get you one, it is a common problem with these lathes.

weisyboy
14th December 2008, 08:30 PM
hargraves is still there ill drop in tomorrow and see what they have got.

Ed Reiss
15th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Carl, it sounds like the starter capacitor has bit the dust. The only purpose the starter cap has is to apply an extra jolt of juice to the windings of the motor, a kick start if you would.
Without the capacitor the motor will still turn, but it will require a manual spin to get it up to speed.
Best to just snip the leads going to the cap (it should look like a small black cylinder) take it to an electronics store, like a Radio Shack, for instance to get a replacement.

Good Luck, mate!

weisyboy
15th December 2008, 05:05 PM
it was the run capacitor and i got a new one from A.C. hargraves for $27. all fixed.

woodwork wally
16th December 2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Carl Just done the one one my mc1100 and bought it at Jaycar for under $20.00 and works like a dream couldnt get a round one and used a square one instead no worries electrically but as DJ said email Jim for a genuine replacement . Common fault and they seem to go in batches when I was in electrics and electronics it seemed that age affected them and you would find that a given cap. value would sell several in a short space of time and then go dead for a while Cheers for now WW.Wally

texx
16th December 2008, 09:02 PM
told ya hargraves would have em :2tsup:

weisyboy
16th December 2008, 09:26 PM
i went it and put it on the counter and the girl said it must be capacitor day today so you may be right wally