PDA

View Full Version : grinder

Daddy3x
14th December 2008, 04:28 PM
Beaten to death topic, I searched the archives but did not find what I was looking for.

My dad is taking his mini lathe on vacation and would like to take my grinder with him (1750 rpm and a wolverine set up). I can get hold of my grandfather's grinder ( a Delta from the 1930's or 40's, 3450 rpm, cast iron pedestal base). If at all possible to use very carefully with lathe tools, moving quickly, what wheels should I be considering? My understanding is that I just need to be more careful with the higher speed, but that is should be ok. I am thinking I could get away with just buying two new wheels and a jig, rather that all three. Thanks

hughie
14th December 2008, 09:27 PM
Daddy3x,

Should not be a problem as long as your wheels do not have any faults etc, just check label for the speed rating to make sure.

At this higher speed you will generate more heat so perhaps lighter passes of the tool would be in order. Keep the passes at the same speed, also with faster wheel speeds you will remove far more material than before, another good reason to keep the pressure of the tool to the wheel light