PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate turning tool?

Frank&Earnest
14th December 2008, 11:54 PM
Hello and goodbye everybody. Woodworking is fun and will always have a spot in my heart but, as a new year resolution, I have decided to make an effort and pursue other activities where I am better qualified to make a positive contribution. So, my modest parting contribution in this field is the practical realisation of my theories about TCT inserts and the evolution of woodturning tools.
Conceptually, this tool is just an evolution of the Oland tool. The replaceable part is not the whole steel tip, is just the cutting bit, which nowadays is available in more durable material.

The basic idea is that by having a reasonably acute bisel (45˚) and the square insert mounted at 45˚ on the shaft the tool becomes able to perform both roughing and finishing cuts in virtually any position, including hollowing. The photos below show how a bowl has been cut completely using only this tool. The timber used, fairly representative of Australian timbers and rather prone to tear, as Harry 72 can attest, is the dry Acacia salicina he generously donated to those who attended the last <st1>Adelaide</st1>:C shed meet.
<o>
This is the first and only shot I have given to it, so you have to see it in this context. It is very easy to duplicate, so the real turners here will be able to test and further develop the idea to see how far they can take it.

Pics 1 to 5: the tool, made from a 500mm long piece of 1” drill rod, with top, side and bottom view of the tip shaped at the grinder and the insert (17mm square, 2mm thick, Leuco around $8-9) positioned. A drop of superglue stops it rotating.
<o>
Pic 6: the starting half log 160mm square
<o>
Pic 7: cut vith the flat edge, from the centre to the outside. The left corner cuts on the pull
<o>
Pic 8: plunge cut to round off the corners, pulling outward
<o>
Pic 9 finishing cut with the flat edge. The point cuts on the push.
<o>
Pic 10 the shaving of the finishing cut is less than 100 micron thick: the width of this shaving is 17mm. </o></o></o></o></o></o>

Frank&Earnest
14th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Pic 11 and 12 the external surface, off the tool and after sanding and EEE.

Pic 13, 14 and 15: hollowing with the point pushed following the internal arc like a bowl gouge, with the advantage that the whole of the “wing” is useable. A minor disadvantage is that care is needed at the narrowest part of the arc, where the point is at 90 degrees and only 1mm of the tip cuts. Nothing that a touch of 60 grit would not fix.
<O:p
Pic 16 and 17 the internal surface, off the tool and after sanding and EEE.

Pic 18 the finished bowl.

The great disadvantage of this tool is that it takes away a lot of excuses to buy new toys...
Enjoy.

robutacion
15th December 2008, 01:50 AM
Hi Frank,

I will discuss the first part of this thread of yours, privately, but I can notice you effort in showing us what you have been thinking and talking about in reference to this idea of yours.

No doubt a very good WIP of your tests, and the result is very good also, that bowl will complement your collection nicely.

Another new tool for me to make, and try a few other details if I will feel up too.

That bowl gouge idea tipped with a TCT, is on my design board already, actually waiting for some special soldering rods to continue my tests. Will see...!

Anyway, well done Frank for going this far with this tools of yours, hope that some other forumates can have a go at it and "experiment"...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

masoth
15th December 2008, 05:56 AM
"Hello and goodbye everybody."
Sorry you've reached this decision because I've enjoyed your insightful posts.
The latests pic series and accompanying explanation is a case in point.
I wish your a happy "retirement" from this long and very good contribution.:2tsup:

soth

Rum Pig
15th December 2008, 09:05 AM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 861367" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>Frank&Earnest</TD><TD class=alt1>

Hello and goodbye everybody. Woodworking is fun and will always have a spot in my heart but, as a new year resolution, I have decided to make an effort and pursue other activities where I am better qualified to make a positive contribution
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Well good luck with your new pursuit I wish you all the best. I hope you keep a finger in the hobby and the forum even if it takes a back seat, what ever it is you are going to do you must be good at it to better qualified:)

Thanks for the tip on the tool I have not tried anything like that yet but I must give it ago soon

:bye2::bye1::luck::luck:

Cliff Rogers
15th December 2008, 09:15 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting the pics. :2tsup:

robyn2839
15th December 2008, 09:24 AM
good luck in what the future brings Frank, hope you keep in touch with the forum..bob

rsser
15th December 2008, 12:09 PM
Good to see how this kind of cutting tip can be mounted and applied in different ways.

Thanks for sharing your work F&E, and best wishes for your other endeavours.

Caveman
15th December 2008, 11:12 PM
Hello and goodbye everybody. I have decided to make an effort and pursue other activities where I am better qualified to make a positive contribution. </O></O></O></O></O></O>

Well I'd say what you just posted was a positive contribution:U.

Thanks for sharing and if you've really decided to leave us, then all the best with what lays ahead:2tsup:.

TTIT
15th December 2008, 11:41 PM
I once ground a similar shape on to the end of a 1/2" round HSS shaft, in the hope of using it for fine detail work instead of swapping between skew and spindle gouge - didn't work as I'd hoped and haven't used it since. Never thought of using it for roughing down - might have to give it a spin :shrug:

Good luck with whatever you move on to Frank.

Ed Reiss
16th December 2008, 03:32 AM
Sorry to see you go F&E ...have enjoyed your posts. Best of luck in your new endeavors!:2tsup:

The bowl looks great!

hughie
16th December 2008, 09:26 AM
F&E sorry to see you go, I have enjoyed your comments. But life all about growing and going. All the best, I am sure you will do well in next endeavour. :2tsup:

OGYT
16th December 2008, 09:39 AM
I hate to see you go, Frank. You've definately been a good contributor to this forum. This post a case in point.
One question: The CA will hold the cutter in place by itself? or is it screwed down, too?
Good luck with your future endeavors, Frank, and like has been said, I hope you keep coming back here, if only, at least, once in a while.

Sawdust Maker
16th December 2008, 10:57 AM
You're not leaving because I threatened to drop in whilst in Adelaide, I hope:o
Thanks for your contributions, Frank. I enjoyed your posts. Don't be a complete stranger.
Good luck in your other pursuits
enjoy life

Frank&Earnest
16th December 2008, 11:24 AM
Thank you all for your good wishes, guys. You are all always welcome to visit, just send me an email first. I am not dying just yet (hopefully!), just changing priorities, and I thought that unless I stopped "cold turkey" my habit of sticking my beak into everything would creep up again.

Al, if the base is perfectly flat, the surface area is sufficient for the CA to hold the insert. Because I just ground it, I did not trust the surface enough and screwed it also.

I'll probably lurk later on to see whether somebody has picked up the idea and developed it.

Season's greetings to everybody.

robutacion
16th December 2008, 01:47 PM
Thank you all for your good wishes, guys. You are all always welcome to visit, just send me an email first. I am not dying just yet (hopefully!), just changing priorities, and I thought that unless I stopped "cold turkey" my habit of sticking my beak into everything would creep up again.

Al, if the base is perfectly flat, the surface area is sufficient for the CA to hold the insert. Because I just ground it, I did not trust the surface enough and screwed it also.

I'll probably lurk later on to see whether somebody has picked up the idea and developed it.

Season's greetings to everybody.

Me, Frank!:D

I will make sure your idea will not be forgotten, as I'm planning in develop the concept a little further, I bet you are not that surprised, huh?:U
Actually... is this the tool Craig have been trying to create for his special needs? one never know, I shall ask him...!:q

Jokes aside, I will miss your replies, comments, suggestions and "bullets":oo:, you provided to this forum.
Your contribution as an ideas generator and involvement with events in within the forum, has been of great value to all of us, so, on my behalf and on behalf of all other forumates that agree with me, thank you mate!

Best of luck.

RBTCO

woodwork wally
16th December 2008, 08:35 PM
Well now Frank or Ernest Or is it Mischievous I for one have enjoyed your inputs to this forum and we The other forumites are going to be the poorer at your loss I like the tool and the pics and will have to try that Cheers in what you take on to replace what you give up but hope you come back now and again WW Wally

NeilS
18th December 2008, 12:21 PM
Real sorry to hear that you are leaving us Frank. Your contributions to the forum have always been valued by me.

Understand that you have to give priority to whatever is most important to you. Life is just too short and valuable to muck about getting to what really matters to you. I'm sure you will do well in whatever endeavours you choose.

But, I'm most disappointed that you will not going into turning tool production ....my Frank Mk1 is working a treat....:U

Thanks and good luck!

Neil

robutacion
18th December 2008, 03:58 PM
Real sorry to hear that you are leaving us Frank. Your contributions to the forum have always been valued by me.

Understand that you have to give priority to whatever is most important to you. Life is just too short and valuable to muck about getting to what really matters to you. I'm sure you will do well in whatever endeavours you choose.

But, I'm most disappointed that you will not going into turning tool production ....my Frank Mk1 is working a treat....:U

Thanks and good luck!

Neil

Mk1...????????????????:o Neil, now you got me confused...!:?:doh::D
Hahahah, it sounds good, like a :minigun:

RBTCO

NeilS
18th December 2008, 10:32 PM
Mk1...????????????????:o Neil, now you got me confused.

Well.... this thread on 'The ultimate turning tool', is Frank's Mk2, coz Frank's Mk1, which looked a bit like the Ci1, came first.

Didn't intend to confuse others, but I was a most grateful recipient of one of Frank's Mk1s ...:U... and thought that at least Frank would get the reference.

So you see, I'm extra sorry that Frank is moving on from woodturning... and turning tool making :(.

Neil

Harry72
18th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Take care mate, see you around these parts!

robutacion
19th December 2008, 03:05 AM
Well.... this thread on 'The ultimate turning tool', is Frank's Mk2, coz Frank's Mk1, which looked a bit like the Ci1, came first.

Didn't intend to confuse others, but I was a most grateful recipient of one of Frank's Mk1s ...:U... and thought that at least Frank would get the reference.

So you see, I'm extra sorry that Frank is moving on from woodturning... and turning tool making :(.

Neil

I did understand the contents of you other post, as I understand what you mean on this one. What got me confused was the name you used to identify Frank's tools, I didn't know that they had a name. When the Ci1 discussions initiated and the copies started to emerge, I didn't wanted people to get confused about the original and our copies, and was when I decide to give it some other name (SIT) Square Insert Tool, just for this purpose, as I couldn't thing of any other better name for it at the time. I think that Frank did come up with a good name for his tools, and now I know what they mean, still not know what (Mk) stands for! :? Do you?:D

RBTCO

NeilS
19th December 2008, 08:30 AM
...still not know what (Mk) stands for! :? Do you?

Hi George - just my shorthand name for the tools, not Frank's. See following definition 7.c. for dictionary definition:

http://www.answers.com/mark

Examples:

Lee Enfield Rifle No.4 Mrk I
Triton Workcentre Mk3

I was not attempting to give the tools a new name, just trying to differentiate tool 1 from tool 2. Hope that clears that up...:)

Neil