PDA

View Full Version : First small bowl

efgee88
15th December 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi All,
I've just finished my first woodworking project on my DVRXP (purchased S/H from one of the forum members a few weeks ago) and having seen many fine examples on this forum, I'm wondering why I should show this beginners piece off to everyone.
I guess, thinking about it, it is a way of introduction into your community. So here it is - but don't laugh too loudly please!

BTW I finished this bowl (jarrah) and lid (vic hardwood? - taken from a roadside log) with a coating of Incralac laquer (actually for coating brass) and then burnishing lightly with Danish Oil. I found that the Incralac dried within minutes, penetrated into the timber (as it is very thin) and it left the surface quite hard for a final fine sand before applying the oil.
Has anyone had a similar experience and is this a good way to finish a turned piece?

I have a thousand-and-one other questions to ask about turning technique after shaping these bits of timber, but I'll leave that for another time!

Cheers,
FrankG

rsser
15th December 2008, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the turning madhouse Frank.

That lathe was a great score. Well done.

And for a first effort this piece is terrific.

Yeah, Incralac is for finishing metal.

DO on its own would have been enough.

OGYT
15th December 2008, 02:52 PM
Welcome, Frank!
I'm ashamed of myself. That box is bee-u-tiful! My first turnings went into the fire.
Good job. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th December 2008, 02:58 PM
Nicely done!

I like little finialled boxes... dunno why, but they've always appealed to me. For some reason what would look too busy on a larger piece looks just right on small scale stuff. :)

I dunno that I'd use Incralac on wood myself, but some of the "masters" use methods that give stunning effects which I would never even dream of trying.

If it works for you, it works. Whose to say otherwise? :;

Rookie
15th December 2008, 03:42 PM
And for a first effort this piece is terrific.

For a first effort!!

I reckon for a many more than first effort. Finial, wings, nice detail. Really really nice.

Sawdust Maker
15th December 2008, 05:38 PM
First effort or first effort on new lathe?
In any event damn nice piece and found timber as well:2tsup:

efgee88
15th December 2008, 10:07 PM
First effort or first effort on new lathe?
In any event damn nice piece and found timber as well:2tsup:

Yeah, first effort on any lathe (apart from form4 woodworking class 33yrs ago!), though I've played with other forms of woodworking.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

There was a fair bit of cursing along with this little project. Just when I thought things were going well, the skew chisel would climb up the turning in the opposite direction it should have gone! I've been trying to hold it at different angles to the job, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. So the project probably could have been a little bigger if I'd done everything right.

I also had a lot of trouble with using a gouge on the end grain of the lid. It kept biting and running to the outside of the job (what does one use on end grain?), so I used a round scraper there as much as possible. I also found if I kept to a speed of about 600-750rpm I could control the skew a bit better.
There is a lot to learn, and I should probably look into getting some lessons - especially on which tool to use where and planning the use of the various chuck fittings and drive bits before starting the project.

Cheers,
FrankG

TTIT
15th December 2008, 11:20 PM
Off to a brilliant start Frank - great looking little piece:2tsup:
Lessons would probably be the easiest way to catch up on some better techniques - teaching yourself takes too long and you end up with a few bad habits (DAMHIKT :B)

Yeah, first effort on any lathe (apart from form4 woodworking class 33yrs ago!),.............I'd love to know how many of us on this forum have the same beginnings - for me it was just 34 years ago :C

wheelinround
15th December 2008, 11:42 PM
welcome nice first piece

I hope my Jarrah turns out even half as nice

Ed Reiss
16th December 2008, 03:24 AM
C'mon Frank...first effort?! More likely number 8,345!!!!! lol

Looks real good:2tsup: ...and welcome to the forums.:U

hughie
16th December 2008, 09:19 AM
ooley dooley first effort where to next................:U

:2tsup: