PDA

View Full Version : Quick Spreaders for Chrissie

OGYT
16th December 2008, 06:28 AM
These are some mayo and jam spreaders that are quick and easy to turn. Even the short one will reach the bottom of a quart jar of mayo.
These are made from Mesquite (7 O'clock), Paulope (5 O'clock), Spalted Poplar (2:30, 8:30, and 11:30), and Silverleaf Maple (some with curl, and some spalted).
Her Majesty said she needed 14 of them for Christmas gifts for her Quilting Ladies.
They are fun to turn, so I'm going to make some for my DILs and married granddaughters, too.
There was a tutorial by Steve Schlumpf on another forum.

STAR
16th December 2008, 07:18 AM
I like those. They will go into my presents file. might be struggling to get some done by this Christmas but if all goes well today could nearly finish some weather stations and clocks to clear the deck to get a start on these.

Gives me an idea for honey sticks as well. They will all make good stocking stuffers and are small enough to give to friends who have enough pens etc.

Thanks for sharing

Rum Pig
16th December 2008, 08:38 AM
they look good:2tsup:

I have been going made on cheese knifes for my cheap little Chrisy gifts this year.

Ed Reiss
16th December 2008, 12:43 PM
Wow...another use for pen blanks:o lol

Nice turnings Al:2tsup:

Gil Jones
16th December 2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Al, real nice looking spreaders you made:2tsup:
I like yours better than Steve Schlumpf's.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th December 2008, 02:13 PM
Nice!

Do you cut the blades on a BS then glue on waste blocks for turning, or turn first and then shape the blade?

OGYT
17th December 2008, 02:40 AM
Gil, be nice. :D Thanks.

Skew; I turn first, then cut on BS. Then sanded to shape on a belt sander, and finished with RO sanders.

The finish is Mineral Oil/Beeswax. Smeared on, then heated near the open door of my shed stove, and rubbed in by hand. Buffed with a soft rag.

Stu in Tokyo
17th December 2008, 03:48 AM
Very cool, luvly wood, neat idea! :2tsup:

bowl-basher
17th December 2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Al, real nice looking spreaders you made:2tsup:
I like yours better than Steve Schlumpf's.

These are some mayo and jam spreaders that are quick and easy to turn. Even the short one will reach the bottom of a quart jar of mayo.
These are made from Mesquite (7 O'clock), Paulope (5 O'clock), Spalted Poplar (2:30, 8:30, and 11:30), and Silverleaf Maple (some with curl, and some spalted).
Her Majesty said she needed 14 of them for Christmas gifts for her Quilting Ladies.
They are fun to turn, so I'm going to make some for my DILs and married granddaughters, too.
There was a tutorial by Steve Schlumpf on another forum.

How about a link to the tutorial...:D I would like to try some of them
thanks
Bowl Basher

Gil Jones
17th December 2008, 10:39 AM
Al, I was being nice. They both look fine, just that yours looks more like a table knife used for spreading "stuff" on toast and crackers, so I like it more. :)

OGYT
17th December 2008, 12:49 PM
Here ya go, Bowl Basher.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97760

bowl-basher
18th December 2008, 04:38 PM
Here ya go, Bowl Basher.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97760

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Ta