PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah board room table and sideboards

Marginata
16th December 2008, 09:17 AM
We got this finished some months ago but I've only just found the time to post the pics.

The table is 5m long x 3m wide made up of six separate sections. Each leg sits beneath each of the joins between the top panels. Top and legs are tortion box construction using 5mm jarrah veneer on the top surface cut from 40yo chapel pews and 52mm solid jarrah around the edges. We used a combination of Fuma superlight ply and MDF to make the boxes. The legs are between 800 and 9050mm wide by 140mm thick. The top panels are joined with table top conecting bolts and 10mm dominoes to ensure flush joins.
It took two of us most of a day to install. The client spent over $8000 just on chairs to go around it. The table seats 18 very comfortably and up to 22 if needed. The room that it is in has unobstructed views over the Swan river across to the Perth City skyline.

LGS
16th December 2008, 10:00 AM
Stunning, simply stunning!

Burnsy
16th December 2008, 10:04 AM
Dave, that came up a treat:2tsup:. Is awesome seeing it finished is great as I had no idea what it was going to look like from just seeing all the parts at your workshop. Will drop by next week for a chat about catching up over Christmas for a BBQ and a spot of milling:D.

PS I though T&D teachers did photography - should have stood on the other side of the table with the window light behind you:p

Burnsy
16th December 2008, 10:12 AM
Did you guys do the sideboards as well?

Rookie
16th December 2008, 10:32 AM
I thought the 800 x 9050 for the legs was a typo until I looked at the picture. Stunning leg design though. Stunning table. Wish I could do that.

Marginata
16th December 2008, 10:33 AM
Yes we did the sideboards. We had to carry those buggers up two flights of stairs. It took six of us without the doors and drawers in them.

AUSSIE
16th December 2008, 12:16 PM
WOW:2tsup:

Now that is what you call a big job.
A wonderful job Dave

Marginata
16th December 2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the really positive feedback people:B

We were really glad to get the job finished after 5 months of working on it around many other things. There were a few moments where we thought that it was beyond our ability, but we got there in the end with a very happy client.

Howdya do that
16th December 2008, 01:37 PM
:o:o WOW

Swifty
16th December 2008, 06:29 PM
What a great table! Like the curved edges, must have been something to make! :2tsup:

masoth
16th December 2008, 06:41 PM
Beautiful board-room table and sideboard. What finish has been used, and what upkeep have you advised to maintain them?

soth

Nanigai
16th December 2008, 10:37 PM
Stunning, simply stunning!

Couldnt agree more LGS, absolutely stunning. :2tsup:
This is also FINE praise from someone who obviously knows a thing or two judging by the photos on his website.

Harry72
17th December 2008, 01:33 AM
Betcha that cost a pretty penny, awesome work.

Scally
17th December 2008, 07:55 AM
Very impressive project.

It must have taken a lot of thought to work out the design, not to mention pulling it all together.
Congratulations.

jackliveshere
17th December 2008, 09:07 AM
Now that's a table :o Very well done indeed!

rod1949
17th December 2008, 10:12 AM
Yep alright 8 grand for chairs by others. So what did the table and sideboards cost em?

Wooden Mechanic
17th December 2008, 07:35 PM
Stunning Craftsmanship David and crew!!!!

Very envious of the skill.

Thanks.
Harlan

Marginata
18th December 2008, 10:16 PM
Gee wiz thanks again for the praise people:B

After finishing the job I don't think we charged nearly enough. Just under $32k for the table. I think another 8 - 10 may have been appropriate. Once they saw it in place I think the client felt the same. Pitty they didn't feel compelled to pay a bonus. They didin't even pay on time.

We finished it with 25% gloss Beckers Acroma 307. Probably would have been better to have it done with a polyurethane two pack but I won't spray it in my workshop and baulked at the quotes for $180 per square metre to have it done for us.

It was a great project to work on but I won't rush into making something that challenging again. It did take many hours to design and re-design. Then of course there were the problems that we encountered along the way just to make things interesting. One thing I found so important was drawing the plans out full size on 3mm MDF.

Chris Parks
19th December 2008, 11:18 PM
One thing I found so important was drawing the plans out full size on 3mm MDF.

Something that I was taught and it allows you to see how it goes together, or doesn't. You can rub out the mistakes with an orbital sander if need be, but a pencil eraser works as well. I often wonder how anyone could possibly quote accurately for a job such as this. Well done Dave.

rod1949
22nd December 2008, 11:46 AM
I often wonder how anyone could possibly quote accurately for a job such as this.

Why? Its not that difficult.

Wongo
22nd December 2008, 12:24 PM
Marginata, that is good work mate.:2tsup: I hope the folks in the office respect them as much as we do.

Chris Parks
22nd December 2008, 09:46 PM
Why? Its not that difficult.

Maginta admits he got it wrong to some degree so it can't be that simple.

artme
26th December 2008, 05:59 PM
:o:o:o What more can i say?

The sideboards are really eyecatching!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

philf
26th December 2008, 07:09 PM
Just stunning a job well done, Maginta