PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry Hollow Form

Gil Jones
16th December 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Y'all,
This is a sorta dual purpose post. I finally got around to finishing my first piece on the new PM3520B lathe, and I am here to say that the Powermatic 3520B is one very fine, powerful, and smooth running lathe. It has done everything I have asked it to do with nary a complaint. I can truthfully say that I am exceptionally glad that I chose to buy it, and glad that I did buy it when I did as the cost has increased by $600 USD since then. Anyway, I can seriously recommend the PM3520B lathe! :2tsup:
The attached pic is turned from a 70 pound (31.75kg) block of green Black Cherry wood initially attached to a 3" (76.2mm) faceplate, and is 12" wide by 5" tall, with 1/4" thick walls. (304.8mm wide x 127mm tall x with 6.35mm thick walls). The collar is Holly, and I dyed it black with black ink, then gave it 6 coats of gloss lacquer over one coat of sanding sealer.
The Cherry was sanded to 4000 grit, polished with EEE, buffed with white rouge, and given one buffed on coat of hard wax.
The base is decorated with 4 beads of various diameters, one of which is the foot that it sits upon. My homemade Donut Chuck allowed me to work on the base with nothing in the way (I really like that tool).
Thanks for letting me wander around here verbally, it was fun, as was creating this hollow form. Any comments you wish to hurl at me are quite welcome as I do enjoy hearing your thoughts.
Cheers,

rsser
16th December 2008, 03:21 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Gil.

Ain't it satisfying having a quiet, stable powerful lathe. Best thing since ... (enter your own perverted analogy here).

That's a very schmick bit of hollowing you've done. I'm green with envy.

Not so sure about the line though; looks a bit squat to me. Would prefer more of an acorn shape. Just my 2c worth.

Gil Jones
16th December 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Ern. Yep, a well made, and amply+ powered machine is a joy to use.
You are quite right about my flying saucer being a tad on the squat side. My plan was for about 4 more inches in height (puffed up a good bit more), but I ran into a jagged, full width, crack that could have done double duty in the ice to your south as a crevasse. After I turned away the abyss, I had left what you see. Still, I am happy with it considering the wood was free.:)

rsser
16th December 2008, 06:49 PM
Ah well, we takes what the good lord gives us.

On the other hand, we've been known to improve on flaws in creation by using epoxy with coffee grounds or oxides or even turquoise (!) tint.

Ad de Crom
16th December 2008, 08:24 PM
Gil, very well executed, the shape as well as the collar.
Remind me to the work of Neal Addy, at least the form.
Must be a fun turning on your new baby, the Powermatic.
Glad to see not a single crack in the cherry, as it is tricky wood for me.
What is the swing of your lathe, as this hollow form is pretty big with a diameter of 305mm.
Keep em going.
Ad :2tsup:

joe greiner
17th December 2008, 12:00 AM
A large-scale version of your typical fine work, Gil.:2tsup:

And a nice recovery, too.:2tsup:

Ad, 3520 ~= 34.5" length, 20" diameter (876mm x 508mm) - from catalog data, still on my bucket list.

Joe

hughie
17th December 2008, 12:35 AM
Gil,

Well done as per..... :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
17th December 2008, 01:52 AM
A large-scale version of your typical fine work, Gil.:2tsup:

And a nice recovery, too.:2tsup:

Ad, 3520 ~= 34.5" length, 20" diameter (876mm x 508mm) - from catalog data, still on my bucket list.

Joe

Thanks Joe for confirming.
Ad

Gil Jones
17th December 2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for all of your comments and ideas. Ern, the slight remains of the crack (on the base) runs just above my name, and actually does have some Turquoise in it...try this pic. Plus, there are a few cracks inside the two knots (and they also have a bit of Turquoise in them). All hard to see in photos resized this small. Here is a pic of the 10" Donut Chuck modified to 20" and holding the Cherry HF, and a shot of the HF foot sticking out of the Donut Chuck (WIP---sorta).
Thanks Ad, I am sure that Neal Addy has influenced me some as I very much like his work.
Cheers,

Ed Reiss
17th December 2008, 01:00 PM
Gil....kinda looks like your into makin' flying saucers:doh::o
Maybe well see them in the National Enquirer:cool:

munruben
19th December 2008, 12:38 PM
Nice work. Looks good to me. :2tsup:

Gil Jones
19th December 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, John.
Good luck on living forever...:rolleyes::)

OGYT
21st December 2008, 03:15 AM
That's a really sweet HF, Gil. Well done collar, too!
I was going to add that I'd once seen something like that zipping around over Roswell once... but I won't. :D
Finish looks flawless, also!

Gil Jones
21st December 2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks, Al.
I saw what I am sure was one over Mendoza Argentina back in 1968.