PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your workshop

Dynamic Eng
16th December 2008, 05:22 PM
Hey all, Josh here, I'm new but i have question...

In your workshop whether its at home or on site, how do you clean up your area?

Old farmer
16th December 2008, 05:27 PM
Broom + brush and dust pan, Josh. Very old-fashioned, I know!

Dynamic Eng
16th December 2008, 05:29 PM
lol, ah yes... my mother had one of them some where,

how effective is it for cleaning? IE in corner and getting tough dust out of tight areas?

Old farmer
16th December 2008, 05:43 PM
Josh, first, toe of boot; if unsuccessful, screwdriver!; then 2lb hammer and cold-chisel !!!

How's that?

Dynamic Eng
16th December 2008, 05:49 PM
dude.... if you need a hammer my product isn't going to be enough for you. hahaha...

Gra
16th December 2008, 05:52 PM
clean?????

When I have lost sight of the floor (for a number of months) and have nothing else to do, I run the dust collection vacuum over the floor.

yowie
16th December 2008, 05:53 PM
First broom and dust pan, then hit it hard with the Backyard Blower out through the roller door.

Cliff Rogers
16th December 2008, 06:51 PM
There is an option missing. :D

DJ’s Timber
16th December 2008, 07:09 PM

There you go, you should be doubly happy now :; :q

Cliff Rogers
16th December 2008, 07:18 PM
:2tsup:

Sturdee
16th December 2008, 07:22 PM

Yes, like the option " I have an effective dust collection system where each tool is connected to a cyclone and have an additional three Sturdee mini cyclones permanently set up. :D "

Meanwhile I voted for Cliff's option.

Peter.

Papa
16th December 2008, 07:38 PM
I have very small shop so cleaning is an on going thing.

First I sweep the big stuff, then vacuum the dust and small
stuff.

I never blow, it makes more mess than it fixes.

My current project is a boat and it will take about a year so
now and then I just stop and clean for a day or so.

robyn2839
16th December 2008, 10:14 PM
First broom and dust pan, then hit it hard with the Backyard Blower out through the roller door.

what he said:2tsup:

jerryc
16th December 2008, 10:33 PM
I got a broom, removed the handle and replaced it with a length of plastic conduit. On the end of the coduit I fix my flexible vac hose. Then it's just sweep up like normal but don't raise fine dust as the broom head sucks it up and it's the fine dust that casues problems.

Jerry

blockhed
16th December 2008, 11:00 PM
dust pan and broom for bigger stuff, then i use an old home vac attached to my triton dust bucket or the Midi Festool vac if in use at the time.
the dust bucket is brilliant as it deposits all the dust into the bucket rather than the vac bag, you can vac all day at that rate. MY SHOP IS ALWAYS CLEAN NOW!!!! YESSSSS!:2tsup:
regards
the block

rhancock
16th December 2008, 11:06 PM
Every time I get the blower vac out to do the garden, I walk through the workshop and blow the sawdust out into the yard too. Yes, its messy - it leaves a layer of dust on just about anything, but the workshop is under a Queenslander, so its never dust free anyway.

Papa
17th December 2008, 12:26 AM
Weather permitting I do a lot of TS and planer work in the drive
in front of the shop. I use a B&D leaf vac to clean up the mess.

barg2757
17th December 2008, 04:30 PM
whaars my hammer?

3 toed sloth
17th December 2008, 07:07 PM
I wander around with the 100mm hose from the 2hp dusty. Shed's only small.:)

rgum
17th December 2008, 07:19 PM
Hmmmmmm ??????

Is this topic for your PHD? :; oink oink.

:2tsup:

jow104
17th December 2008, 07:35 PM
Well assuming it is all going to be wood dust (sawdust) why not collect it up and pour it into moulds with some solidifying agent and then turners could make new turnings out of it.

Sturdee has the cleanest sawdust that I know of. :)

weisyboy
17th December 2008, 08:08 PM
when my head bumps the ceiling

step 1. pickup all the blocks of wood they go into the fire wood bin

step 2. pickup rubbish into the rubbish bin

step 3. pickup all the visible tools and put them on top of the crap on the the bench.

step 4. rake the floor to uncover any further tools/rubbish wood.

repeat steps 1-4 up to three times depending on thickness of sawdust.

step 5. shovel the sawdust into the 4 x 6 box trailer normally about 1 huge load.

step 6. sweep the leftover sawdust into a pile in the center.

repeat step 5

step 7. blow out with electric blower.

i may get to step 5 before i find an interesting piece of wood or long lost half finished project and get sidetracked.:2tsup:

underfoot
17th December 2008, 08:51 PM
when my head bumps the ceiling

he he, good one weisy:D

I get the feeling that if I answer this poll someone will contact me flogging time share or something:rolleyes: or tupperware or amway or eternal happiness :rolleyes:

(sorry, just finished watching the news ,and feeling a bit cynical)

I'm going down to 'buy,swap and sell,' now ...to look for "eternal happiness"

horse123
17th December 2008, 09:57 PM
Just do what my hubby does & wait for the wife to clean it!
She has a 1/4 of the shed ,when she cant find her things she cleans up mine ,Bingo there,s her stuff in my side ,Hmm dont know how thats happens. Ha Ha

Cliff Rogers
18th December 2008, 09:41 AM
....I'm going down to 'buy,swap and sell,' now ...to look for "eternal happiness"

You might find a good 2nd hand one. :think:

Chris Parks
19th December 2008, 10:50 PM
I have a Victa Vac which is a yard vacuum cleaner on wheels and I tend to use it every day if I use the thicknesser or jointer. I reckon a 4" line from a dust collector attached to some wheels and a handle would be just as good and damned easy to use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2008, 12:54 AM
Doesn't anybody else besides me have a floorsweep attached to their dusty? Just open the gate and sweep everything in...

It's also a 100% foolproof method for locating those vitally important screws and other small doodads that you accidentally misplaced. There's nothing quite like hearing that metallic rattle running down your duct towards the DC to tell you "FOUND IT!" :rolleyes:

Ashore
20th December 2008, 01:02 AM
Doesn't anybody else besides me have a floorsweep attached to their dusty? Just open the gate and sweep everything in...

It's also a 100% foolproof method for locating those vitally important screws and other small doodads that you accidentally misplaced. There's nothing quite like hearing that metallic rattle running down your duct towards the DC to tell you "FOUND IT!" :rolleyes:
why don't you put a magnetic strip along the front of the scoop, just a thought :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2008, 01:04 AM
I've been meaning to get around to doing just that for... how long have I had the DC now? :-

Eowyn
21st December 2008, 01:55 PM
Sweep up the big bits with dust pan and broom
Use the blower on the workbench and shelves
Let the air filter clean the air.
Let the dirtdog loose to clean the floor

Fencepost2
21st December 2008, 05:36 PM
I sweep and dustpan, and then use my dust collector to reach all the awkward spots around the legs of machines and so on. A useful tip for finding important screws and washers that have been lost it to use your dust collector but tie (securely) some panty hose around the nozzle to collect everything before it gets rattled round the vanes of the fan and into the bran tub.

flynnsart
21st December 2008, 06:29 PM
I use a rake:D

Donna

Charleville
30th December 2008, 06:28 PM
Hey all, Josh here, I'm new but i have question...

In your workshop whether its at home or on site, how do you clean up your area?

Well, I do know that I don't use anything sold by "Jet Black" which is where you are taking this thread aren't you? :rolleyes:

Don't want anything sold by Jet Black either. :D

Sheesh! And I thought that is was only on my favorite fishing site that I would see blatant attempts at self product promotion! :oo:

artme
30th December 2008, 08:24 PM
I used to bark at the boy until he left home.:D:D:D

Expat
31st December 2008, 09:46 AM
Shop-vac connects to a Cyclone lid which connects to various 2 1/4" vacuum attachments including one with a duster fitting. It also connects to the various machines around the garage for now, at least until my new dc unit is wired up in the Spring. Still there's fine dust everywhere!