PDA

View Full Version : Building a queen size bed

scotty86
16th December 2008, 05:50 PM
Heya

Im going to try and replicate a queen size bed for my girlfriend, it's made from tasmanian oak and seems to be fairly simple in design

here's a pic:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q193/scotty_do_/random/byron.jpg

Im planning on using heavy duty bed bed brackets to attach the side rails http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=Heavy-Duty+Bed+Bracket (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=Heavy-Duty+Bed+Bracket)

I've decided this is easier than doing a hidden bolt setup like below
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q193/scotty_do_/random/bedrailfasteninghidden.jpg

Also i think im going to do simpler bed head and foot rest, none of the thin bits in between, you can see them if you look closely. I think i will just join the timber together.

I've measured it all up and sorted out a timber list if anyone wants it?

My major question is how i will finish it to give it a similiar look to the byron one? does anyone have any ideas?

Any opinions or comments are welcome

cheers

Scotty

ciscokid
16th December 2008, 10:28 PM
Hi Scottie, I made a king size bed for me and the missus last year and it proved to be one of the simplest projects I've ever done. I made it all out of Brazilian cherry and finished it with two coats of tung oil. I like the simple finishes on nice timber. Finishing the long straight sides were a piece of cake. I, too, decided to go with the heavy duty corner brackets because I didn't see it needing disassembly very often.

Never took any photos though.

orraloon
17th December 2008, 02:17 PM
I agree tung or one of the other oil finishes. Looks natural and future scuffs are easy to cover up with a wipe of oil. After a few weeks drying you can wax polish it if you want.
Regards
John

travisn
19th August 2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Scotty, what did you use for the slats? Making one myself and not sure whether to go with plain wooden slats or a 'Slatted Mattress Frame' that people like hafele sell.

Cheers
Travis

ColW
19th August 2009, 11:06 PM
It looks to be made from recycled material
really rough sawn, so the darker areas are
the original weathered sides of whatever was
cut down to make it, just lightly sanded.
you could get a similar effect by using floorboards
for the infill and cut down 4 by 2's for the framing
on the head and foot. tung oil finish definitely the
way to go

col.

ian
20th August 2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Scotty, what did you use for the slats? Making one myself and not sure whether to go with plain wooden slats or a 'Slatted Mattress Frame' that people like hafele sell.

Cheers
TravisTravis

When I built my queen sized bed, I bought some 100 x 25 sawn Tassie Oak which I dressed to about 95 x 22
It's quarter sawn and I've found plenty strong enough for the purpose

kekemo
28th August 2009, 03:04 PM
Ok... not exactly what your talking about here... however though I'd put my two penny's in....

Yes... I've made a few queen sized beds, double bunks single beds... quite surprised me when I stopped & remembered them all.... and hinges have been quite a learning curve..... worked it out about 5 years ago.... the only hinges I use now are my own brand.......

Every other hinge I see or have had experience with you can bet... the bed will move... wobble or SQUEEK or even sometimes the metal tears... depends on the activeness of owner... & for me that's NOT good enough.... LOL... my sons beds soon became the nightmares... they handed me the challenge to find the best hinges out....so decided to make my own hinge... of course the only draw back... it that they get bolted... so the tell tale round bolt head is always there... HOWEVER... these can be counter sunk...and plug put over it... Well its now been 5 years on & not one report back ...bed still solid & now think son's worn out....LOL

If you go to my post on queensized bed...you will see picture of brackets... easy... solid as hell... and strongest you can ever have.... the bolts I use are Zenith.. they have a square base around head of bolt that bights into wood when you tighten... fantastic on soft woods... don't know how restrictive they would be on hard woods... all I know it after 10 years now... all the beds I've made... I get the customers coming back & recommending me to there friends...
Some people don't like the fact that you have to bolt the bed together... but hey how many times to you pull a bed apart & shift.... ok.. probably for those who get posted lots.. it will peeve them...but you wont find stronger hinge or cheaper one on market.... its a DIY... best design out.....
cheers Kerry... hope not too far off track... thought you might like to read....
have a great day....
PS also see thinkness of slats....
Don't go less than 30 X 70... only need 14 ... still cheaper/ superior strength/ practically trampoline quality... OH other recommendation... think seriously about height above floor... age catches us quick... every single person I've make tall beds for cant believe the ease of getting in & out of bed now..... even the young ones..
KEKEMO

chowcini
2nd September 2009, 09:55 PM
i think its basically a rough sawn board(s) that have been skip dressed to give you the rough finish

artme
3rd September 2009, 04:33 AM
Hi Scotty, how goes the build?

I have made several beds using the same principles. Nice and easy to do and the great part is iit is easy to disassemble and stack in a small space.