PDA

View Full Version : Rolling toy FREE plan... BE QUICK!

Chipman
18th December 2008, 12:52 AM
If you would like a free plan for rolling toy for 1-3 year olds,

Try this link

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ww...cfm/free.plans (http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/wwj/index.cfm/free.plans)

BUT BE QUICK.... THEY CHANGE FREQUENTLY
(you could subscribe to their ezine)

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
18th December 2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks.... downloaded my copy - something easy enough for me to try
Looks like it would be one of those toys you love to give to your grandkids.... to take home so they can drive your kids crazy with the noise! :)

Ken and I used to always look for noisy toys to send overseas....... lol

Juvy

Charleville
18th December 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have downloaded the plan also.

:)

Old farmer
18th December 2008, 07:33 AM
And many thanks from me, too.

AUSSIE
18th December 2008, 08:37 AM
And many thanks from me, too.
What oldfarmer said
:aussie5::way2go:

wheelinround
18th December 2008, 09:03 AM
same here ty

munruben
18th December 2008, 04:51 PM
Great link, thanks.:2tsup:

Ruddy
18th December 2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Chipman for the heads up.......always looking for new ideas.

Ruddy

unicorn1
18th December 2008, 05:47 PM
Great link, thanks!

Chipman
19th December 2008, 12:18 AM
Here is mine!

Cheers,

Chipman

Old farmer
19th December 2008, 07:05 AM
Chipman , thanks for the pics.

I notice you do not appear to have painted the sides. I have been wondering about a safe paint to use since the babies would suck the sides, I imagine.

keju
19th December 2008, 07:07 AM
Looks good..... I'd like to know how it sounds? Is it nice and loud and noisy?
I do like that there is no paint.... if at all possible I really much prefer natural wood. Looks better and is safe.

Wondering.............could it be made into some sort of foot massager?

Juvy

Chipman
19th December 2008, 08:41 AM
Chipman , thanks for the pics.

I notice you do not appear to have painted the sides. I have been wondering about a safe paint to use since the babies would suck the sides, I imagine.

I haven't finished it yet.... I will not be painting it. Either I will leave it natural but more than likely stain it with Ubeaut's non-toxic water dyes finished with shellac. (the dye is effectively food colouring and shellac is used to coat tablets and other food stuffs. At the moment, I am usind this finishing method for a wheeled pull-along toy.)

As for sound, it is just a gentle click clunk when you roll it or shake it.

Size: in metric 90mm diameter by 100mm across. Rods 75 mm long

Cheers,

Chipman

(Thought of a new one..... a cage with a rolling balls inside).

The Bleeder
19th December 2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks Chipman. Uploaded mine and now there are going to be some very sorry parents out there:U:U. Should get a few made over the weekend.

Chipman
19th December 2008, 01:21 PM
(Thought of a new one..... a cage with a rolling balls inside).

Here it is! and the other one stained and lacquered (shellac)

Made but not finished if you know what I mean!

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
31st December 2008, 03:45 PM
As of Today 31/12/2008,

This plan is no longer available from the link in the first post.

Should you require it, you can:

do a search on the net.... you may find one or

pm me and I will email the pdf to you.

Cheers,

Chipman

(Current plan is a curio clock and a workshop carry all)

bpj1968
12th January 2009, 10:30 AM
I saw a variation yesterday at Ikea, basically a tube with coloured rods that slide through the tube. Maybe the pins had slots that the axle went through to retain them inside.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/26094_PE111080_S4.jpg

Chipman
19th January 2009, 07:56 PM
I have split the file so it can be posted here..... hope this helps.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91831&d=1229696419

It is now in three pages.

Chipman

Old farmer
19th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks very much for all of that, Chipman.

Galaxy 9
22nd January 2009, 02:47 PM
Ta Chipman, I needed some inspiration. Ive never made a wooden toy before, and I have a 5mth old boy. But he'll have to wait until Ive finished his highchair and childproofing the house!

Charleville
3rd April 2009, 03:40 PM
I finally got around to making mine which is due to be handed to its new owner for her first birthday tomorrow.

I made mine from that ever popular Bunnings variety, Tasmanian Oak, and coloured it with food dyes from the kitchen and coated it in a few coats of Shellac. My wife will add a few elephant stickers to the sides to make it a bit more visually appealing to a one year old.

http://img.skitch.com/20090403-1f5pdic2ahi3jdrrxdnesyg34p.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/charleville2/bkpd3/skitched-20090403-143726)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/charleville2/bkpd3/skitched-20090403-143726) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

I also made a six second video of it in motion which can be seen at Youtube...

YouTube - Rolling toy

I hope that the one year old will be as fascinated with it as my wife and I have been this week. it makes a nice sound as it rolls. :)

Charleville
26th April 2009, 11:47 AM
For those who might be thinking about making one of these and wondering if the kids will like it...

I was delighted to learn from my son a week after giving my grand-daughter this little toy for her first birthday that it was her toy of preference from those that she was given on her birthday, including the flash electronic gizmo that her other grandparents gave her.

Of all of her new toys, this was the one that she played with most on her birthday. :)

The kids these days are deluged with toys that I could never dream of when I was a kid in the 1950's and so many of them. It is kind of reassuring to see that quality wooden toys still make their mark.:)

Old farmer
26th April 2009, 01:37 PM
Good on you, Charleville!

keju
26th April 2009, 09:20 PM
That's great .... there's hope for our grandkids :)
Sometimes I think the kids have to get tired of all the flashing and noisy toys they have now.... must be calming to have a toy that is simple, basic..... and FUN.
And corny as it may sound.... I always wonder if maybe they can pick up on some sort of hmmmm...... not sure what to call it... but something that surrounds a toy made with love - oh ok guys.... I know a lot of you aren't fond of 4 letter words.... so let's call it toys surrounded by a lot of positive feelings. na.... still too corny is it? lol

I'm dribbling..... better shut up....

Juvy

Chipman
26th April 2009, 10:00 PM
I agree... the parents of the little girl who got my one said she has lost it! No, not "LOST" but rather her older sister has "BORROWED" it as she loves it so much too. So another one is on the way! Actually I think I get more enjoyment out of making it for the kids than they get playing with it!

Simple toys are often the best but as they get older, especially for boys, computer games seem to take over. When I make wooden toys, I always try to make something that actually moves or does something.

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
26th April 2009, 10:06 PM
I totally agree with you..... I have a ball making the toys.... whenever we have people over they get to try out the new ones and we all have a lot of fun. Another good thing about wooden ones is that after the kids are done with them they still look nice on / in front of the fireplace - gives a house a cozy atmosphare.... and if they really have had it... they'll still be useful IN the fireplace to warm the heart! lol

I also agree with the " things that move" ...... doesn't even have to be a toy.... I just played with making wooden hinges.... that was really fun - and again.. when we had friends over they just picked them up and sort of played with them... anything that moves is good. :)

Juvy

Charleville
27th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Actually I think I get more enjoyment out of making it for the kids than they get playing with it!

I made a template out of MDF for mine so that it becomes a quick and easy job to make new ones with bandsaw, router table and double sided tape and drill press.

I suspect that I might also make one of two more in the future at some time.

keju
27th April 2009, 11:18 AM
lol....... can you believe I never even thought of the bandsaw? I'm sooooo into scrolling... thought it would be great to do on the scroll saw! :)

Juvy

Ruddy
27th April 2009, 02:29 PM
Juvy, Charleville....
I agree, the kids love things that move, make a noise, or make them think.
A few years ago I made a basic toy that had about 6 levels of falling marbles that cascaded down from one level to the next. Just a series of round discs with a hole in the centre. All different colours and mounted on a base that collects and stores the marbles.It is the one toy that kids will always get out and play with.
Charleville, I do like the rolling toy you made, especially the colours and the finish.

great stuff

Ruddy

keju
27th April 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm curious Ruddy.... over 30 years ago my Dad send a marble tower to my boys from Germany. I have never seen one like it again.
It had a base disk ( no storage compartment tho) with a long stick, not unlike a paper towel holder. Then it had several disk.... can't remember how many..... each had a routed "road" for the marbles to roll in and each had a hole so they could fall to the next level.... each had a hole in the center drilled in from different angles and the boys had to make sure they arranged them right.. holes down etc for the thing to work. There was no colour, just plain solid, unfinished wood. He had not made it, he had bought it in a store.
Not sure if this drawing helps... lol

Juvy

Ruddy
27th April 2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Curious......
and Juvy......
Here are some pictures of the marble run I was talking about.It is a little different than your sketch but works on the same principle.......
All pretty simple, just have to position a piece of stiff plastic that acts as a flap when the marble falls through the centre hole. The flap determines whether the marble goes clockwise or anticlockwise when it drops to the next lower level. The flap also directs the marble to the outside rim of the next level.It can take about 40 to 50 seconds for the marble to go from the top the bottom.
The really hyper grandkids tend to have about twenty marbles going flat out!

Ruddy

keju
27th April 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh that's so neat! I can see how that would be a lot of fun.
If it's waterproof I can see water being poured down it too!!!!!

Juvy

crowie
18th July 2010, 09:33 PM
G'Day Chipman, I know it was a little while ago but would you have a copy of the plans available please. Thank you. Cheers, Crowie

Chipman
18th July 2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Crowie,

You are almost there!!!! Go back to page 2 of this threa and look at the 3 post. You should be able to download the plans from there.

Have fun making toys!

Just wish I had the time:((

Kind Regards,

Chipman

crowie
19th July 2010, 06:44 PM
Thank you Chipman, I've found it & downloaded the 3 and yes I will have fun making it, as it's something I can do at my own pace when the health is at it's poorest. Again thanks, Cheers, Crowie