PDA

View Full Version : Tea Light Inserts

Shane Watson
4th January 2001, 03:42 PM
Anyone out there in their dealings every come across a supplier that sells the little metal inserts that the tea light candles sit in? I have checked all my usual suppliers and noone even knows what I am on about - so thought I would run it here and see if someone here has seen what I am after...

Cheers....

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Jeff
5th January 2001, 04:01 PM
may sound silly but.....a lot of the packages with the tea lights come with the metal included here in the states...have you checked the retailers...?

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

Shane Watson
5th January 2001, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jeff,

Yeah they too are supplied here with a very thin metal surround. What I am after is a kind of cup the same shape only a little bigger made from a heavier grade metal and this in inlayed in oil burners etc for the tea light to sit in safely.

I have checked with all my suppliers/retailers and had no luck, my other option I have is to source them in Asia, but I would prefer to spend local..

Cheers..

RFNK
5th January 2001, 11:41 PM
What's a tea light?

Iain
6th January 2001, 09:16 AM
It's a bit like Fosters Light but for teetotallers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif
Tea lights are the squat little candles that are about 1/2" high and about 1 1/2" wide and are used in a stand to keep teapots or coffee pots warm after the brew is made.
I am at present ratting around and looking for a catalogue. Found Lets Make Time catalogue, nothing listed but probably worth a call anyway on 0266215040.
My wife said she thoughtSpotlight have them (if you have one near you, they are a large fabric and art and craft supply house).
Carbatec is anoyher possibility but I would be targetting local art and craft stores or suppliers.
Don't know how many you need but could you fabricate a cross out of two pieces of flat metal and suspend the tea light in this? And... automotive supplies who may have a pressed steel cup for mounting instruments in dashboards. There could be several options here, and bear in mind, neccessity is the mother of invention. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 06 January 2001).]

Shane Watson
6th January 2001, 11:51 AM
The most common use for tea lights today is for oil burners and just plain decorative candle holders etc. Quite popular with the new age hippie wannabees.

I never thought of checking in Spotlight Iain. Probably cause I hate going in there, all the women stare at ya as if to say what the hell is a man doing in our store http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif But they do stock some gear I use that I can't get anywhere else.
Will have to muster up some pride, stick out my hairy chest and go raid the womens store.. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

Thanks for the link as well Iain, but for some reason it didn't work, but I managed to get to the main site although was unable to find anything. Will have another look latter on.

Cheers........

Iain
6th January 2001, 12:35 PM
Know what you mean about Spotlight, I am a fly fisher and when I go in and drool over sparkly little beads etc I get some strange looks. The odd assistant, usually 40 years + often realise that I am a fly fisher and guide me to what I am after, I often find out their husbands are also fly fishers and they sympathise with me for this incurable affliction.
With holders I suppose that ceramic is also an option and could command a higher price, a medical supply house may have somethiing along these lines, the opportunities seem almost endless.

RETIRED
6th January 2001, 01:06 PM
Gooday.

Shane, what about using welsh plugs. have a choice of brass or steel?

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Shane Watson
6th January 2001, 02:26 PM
Now , call me stupid - but whats a Welsh Plug? Sounds rather promising though, and I would much prefer Brass than steel, to add a more classy touch to the project...

Iain, if I wasnt going fishing in the Whitsunday's tommorrow, you would have me drooling at the thought. Its actually amazing what they stock at spotlight, although it reminds me a little of a $2 shop, but with more expensive prices.

Cheers......

Iain
6th January 2001, 02:54 PM
When an engine block is cast there is a hole (or two) that is left where the sand used in casting is allowed out, this hole is then sealed with a pressure fitted plug called a welsh plug. They have a habit on the odd occassion of letting go and making the car overheat and wetting the road.
As there are a variety of sizes you may have to crawl under a lot of cars to find one that fits, I trust it will not be a BMW or a Porsche. Any spare parts dealer should be able to assist in finding what you are after.

RETIRED
6th January 2001, 08:04 PM
Well said Iain, couldna said it better meself http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 06 January 2001).]

John Saxton
6th January 2001, 08:07 PM
Hey, Iain wasn't fly fishin' a commonly called term for those that, in their innebriation fumbled with fly buttons in the dark ages when trousers were adorned with same.
In my adolescence I remember the dastardly things and of Mum asking where all the buttons disappeared to much to my discomfort!!
The zipper was a blessed relief for many a man until he parts of his anatomy compromised!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Iain
7th January 2001, 06:55 AM
R M Williams and Morrison still use buttons on their moleskins as they reckon that stockmen cannot sew on a new zipper, I still recall the problems with buttons, especially the tight ones on new pants which seemed to become proportionally tighter with the degree of urgency of relief, I also recall a nasty incident with a zipper after said relief. There is also velcro which could eliminate all these problems or the tube that pilots use (although a well known rally driver talked of one he rigged up but the tube was a bit long and got caught under the back wheel....ouch). Back to pea....sorry, tea lights.