PDA

View Full Version : Reinventing the Wheel?

LiliB
18th December 2008, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone

Dave has just finished his prototype redgum wheel for the wool truck. I think it's not bad, but a lot of work, and for those who are interested, this is how it was done. You're welcome to use any ideas from this that you want.

1. Determine size. Cut out blank with hole saw
2. Determine no of spokes. The template has 12 points of clock face on it. The outer circle is made up of two protractors, making it easy to use degrees when calculating distance of spoke from next spoke. (e.g 8 spokes = 45 degrees)
3. Make up template for individual wheel and paste to centre of wheel
4. Scroll spokes
5. Hub is turned on micro lathe and shaped with bench grinder wheel to form the nut.

Personally if I were into selling models I think it would be easier and cheaper to buy the wheel, however, for people like Dave, it's a challenge that has to be met.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

keju
18th December 2008, 06:31 PM
That wheel looks really good...... think the extra work was well worth it

Juvy

Ruddy
18th December 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Lily.....
The wheel looks great. I know it is a lot of work but understand why he prefers this to buying them..
a great job and thanks for posting

Ruddy

mick59wests
20th December 2008, 12:59 PM
Lili,

I will show my ignorance (and I would love to make spoked wheels).

How were spokes scrolled? Do you have to do the initial scroll saw cut for each spoke through the centre hole? I do not know how to start a scroll saw cut except from the outside or through an existing hole?

thanks

Mick

keju
20th December 2008, 01:21 PM
Yep..... we scrollers drill a lot of holes :)
that's why it's important for the clamps to be easy to open and close.

Juvy

LiliB
20th December 2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Mick

If you look at the sketch for the spokes, forget the centre circle. Look at the triangles formed by the spoke lines, and drill pilot holes through each triangle section and then scroll saw the triangle out. So you do this twelve times to produce the look of spokes.Once the triangular piece is gone from between each section, you get spokes.

Ordinarily when you draw a scroll saw pattern, you show the bit to be cut out say in one colour or shading, and the bit to keep in another. Use say two different coloured highlighers

Hope that helps to understand the process.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

munruben
20th December 2008, 01:47 PM
Nice work. Looks good

mick59wests
22nd December 2008, 10:34 AM
Lilib,

thanks very much. A very good explanation (it must have been as I understood it first go). One day I will work out one of these things for myself! For now, thank goodness for this forum as it has taught me an enormous amount.

cheers

Mick:D

LiliB
22nd December 2008, 02:36 PM
My pleasure Mick. If I understand it myself, I can easily explain to others.

Cheers
LiliB