PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mallee

orificiam
18th December 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Everyone does anyone know where one can buy Mallee wood in Melbourne?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Tony.:?:(

masoth
18th December 2008, 09:02 PM
G'day Tony,

I presume you want it for working and not burning, eh? How much do you want and are you after the white/yellow or the red , or both? It'd bl**&$# hard to work and reasonable size chunks are not that easy to find because the locals burn it. Do you know its properties and how it grows? We might be able to arrange a delivery by some transport company out of Mildura (there are plenty of trucks back and forth).

soth

ps: Actually, a couple of years ago I was going to donate a burl for the monthly draw - simply haven't seen anything suitable.:-

orificiam
18th December 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi Soth Yes it' for turning I would need 4 pieces to turn some reasonable bowls Yellow and Red If possible could you PM me and we could work out the price and delivery.
Thank you for your help. Cheers Tony.

bowl-basher
18th December 2008, 09:26 PM
Hey Soth
I would also be interested in a couple of bowl sized bits happy to paycost and freight to Sydney
Regards
Bowl basher

masoth
18th December 2008, 10:53 PM
Tony and Bowl Basher,
I don't get out to the 'bush' very often but I will promise to look, and ask others too. You both realise it's mainly the root bole that has any size, I hope. Mallee is mostly thin-ish branch like wood and the bole is not usually cut with axes and chainsaws.
I'm not trying to put you off - PM me every now and then to keep me on my toes, but don't expect any effort till after the end of the approaching 'silly season'. I will do my best.

soth

wands
18th December 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi, my cousin has a wood yard - firewood, and he was unable to get any mallee roots this year - just none left. You may try some other wood yards, but apparently they are pretty hard to come by these days.

Cheers, Steve

rsser
19th December 2008, 05:55 AM
Have bought several lumps of burl, if that's what you mean, from www.thewoodsmith.com.au (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au)

orificiam
19th December 2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Ern That is exact.. What I'm after I will give them a call.

Thank you as well Soth. At your lesure mate there's no hurry.

OK. guys Happy Xmass.
Cheers Tony:)

bowl-basher
19th December 2008, 12:21 PM
Tony and Bowl Basher,
I don't get out to the 'bush' very often but I will promise to look, and ask others too. You both realise it's mainly the root bole that has any size, I hope. Mallee is mostly thin-ish branch like wood and the bole is not usually cut with axes and chainsaws.
I'm not trying to put you off - PM me every now and then to keep me on my toes, but don't expect any effort till after the end of the approaching 'silly season'. I will do my best.

soth
:D:D:D:D
As & when you can Thanks Heaps and have a great holiday season
Bowl Basher

Ed Reiss
19th December 2008, 01:49 PM
Pat should know where to get Mallee!!:U