PDA

View Full Version : Made my Rattle Tonight

Chipman
19th December 2008, 12:15 AM
You may have seen the post about the rolling toy/rattle.

Well I made mine tonight... will stain it with water dyes and shellac it tomorrow and deliver it Saturday.

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
19th December 2008, 07:11 AM
Was wondering how big would be too big.... am picturing a hmmm.... basketball size.... would that be fun or maybe that wouldn't work anymore or make it dangerous?

These rattles really look good..... bummer we have no little ones in the family at the moment

Juvy

Charleville
19th December 2008, 08:14 AM
What a bewdy!

Now, we need you to use your digital camera in movie camera mode to made a 20 second picture of it rolling and load that up onto Youtube with an address on this thread.

Not asking too much am I? :D:D:D

I shall make mine after I finish the hobby horse that I just started. You ought to see the pathetic quality of hobby horses to be found in the shops - if you can find one at all, that is.

Anyway, "well done!" on this little novelty. It looks like fun. :)

Chipman
19th December 2008, 08:45 AM
Was wondering how big would be too big.... am picturing a hmmm.... basketball size.... would that be fun or maybe that wouldn't work anymore or make it dangerous?

These rattles really look good..... bummer we have no little ones in the family at the moment

Juvy

Would just have to watch that fingers or hands did not get stuck in the gaps. So why not scale it up with say 6 cross dowels and 6 clackers or a rolling cage with wooden balls inside?

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
19th December 2008, 08:48 AM
What a bewdy!

Now, we need you to use your digital camera in movie camera mode to made a 20 second picture of it rolling and load that up onto Youtube with an address on this thread.

Not asking too much am I? :D:D:D

I shall make mine after I finish the hobby horse that I just started. You ought to see the pathetic quality of hobby horses to be found in the shops - if you can find one at all, that is.

Anyway, "well done!" on this little novelty. It looks like fun. :)

Thanks, love to see your horse when you are finished (if you look in the toy forum for "WIP: sit in rocking horse" you will see what I have done recently).

As for movies and youtube.... a bit beyond me!!!!

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
19th December 2008, 09:38 AM
if you don't want to make a movie.....how about recording the sound :)

Hmmmmmmm..... if made from scraps it would probably even make a fun dog toy? My dog used to go after anything that moved.

Juvy

Chipman
19th December 2008, 01:17 PM
Just off the lathe!

Here is a different version of the rattle with a wooden ball inside...

Sounds different and quieter

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
19th December 2008, 02:16 PM
everything old is new again! lol My Dad bought a rattle looking just like that about 5cm high about oh..... 33 years ago!!!!!! lol
He always loved all wooden toys and bought several different interesting wooden rattles.. have to say... they "clunk" differently when babies hit themselves in the head with them! lol

Just had to go have a look..... they are still being made..... well the simple ones... there were lots of others.... you're not going to believe this! lol

Chipman
19th December 2008, 02:35 PM
You are right about babies hitting themselves in the head. I reckon kids need to be nearly one before I would give them one of these. Even then some one year olds are not exactly well coordinated either.

I doubt that there is much we do that is truly original...either we are doing stuff similar to what we may have seen somewhere, even forgotten about or it is original for us but someone else has come up with something similar quite independently. As for the one in the free post, I had seen comercial versions of it on the net and actually collected some photos of it to make. It is so basic, you don't need a plan anyway.

As for my family, when we were little, my parents were quite poor and struggled just to do the basics...most toys I had were ones I made myself or "had" while I was making them for my friends.

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
20th December 2008, 01:17 AM
Here it is completed... stained with Ubeaut non-toxic dyes (food colouring) and coated it with white shellac.

I am getting better at using this finish but I still have quite a way to go yet with it. I am sure I could do better with paint.

Cheers,

Chipman

Charleville
20th December 2008, 01:47 AM
It looks awesome to me!

Well done! :)

munruben
20th December 2008, 01:53 PM
Very nice. :2tsup:

LiliB
20th December 2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Chipman

They're lovely !! Love the stains and final finish look. Transforms them from a craft to a little piece of art.

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

LiliB

Buzza
27th December 2008, 09:51 PM
Is white shellac okay for kids to chew on Chipmsn? It certainly looks good to me. :cool:

Chipman
28th December 2008, 01:14 AM
Is white shellac okay for kids to chew on Chipmsn? It certainly looks good to me. :cool:

Yes, that is what I have been told...shellac is used to coat tablets and sweets.

For any interested, here is my latest 2... Given to the great nephew on Friday. These were coloured with undiluted dye.

Cheers,

Chipman

keju
28th December 2008, 09:27 AM
They look perfect to me... makes me want to be a kid again.... or at least start my own collection. :)

You said you had a way to go with shellac yet.... the finish looks really good to me.... I have never used shellac... what would you say is the biggest problem with it? Or what's the best reason to use it?
I've tried mirror tone and like it when I'm in a hurry because it dries so fast , but the smell is overwhelming..... same goes for estapol and it doesn't dry quick enough.... not happy with either of these finishes.... like putting a plastic coat on things...

Juvy

Charleville
28th December 2008, 10:03 AM
Yes, that is what I have been told...shellac is used to coat tablets and sweets.

For any interested, here is my latest 2... Given to the great nephew on Friday. These were coloured with undiluted dye.

They positively glow in the photos. A lovely job. Well done! :)

Chipman
28th December 2008, 10:17 AM
Colouring.... yes you can either leave it raw or seal it with a clear but kids do like colour.

The last lot I used diluted dyes. What I found was that the pale blue (diluted) looked a bit funny over pine as the darker grain areas don't go blue sort a a weird colour.

Shellac is easy to use... can be sprayed, brushed or wiped on with a cloth or pad. The good thing is it dries very fast and can be recoated every 10/15 minutes. Once the methlated spirit solvent has evaporated, there is no smell (unlike polyurethane) and it is kid safe. Only draw back is that it does take lots of coats to get a good gloss.

In the past, I have used spray enamels and can get a good finish....you would never know it was even wood but that sort of defeats the purpose of making wooden toys! and then there is the safety issue of little kids chewing on the paint (but should be safe)

Anyway, thanks for the comments and if we can help or give each other ideas, then it is a good thing:2tsup:

Regards,

Chipman

artme
28th December 2008, 09:12 PM
lovely work Chipman!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I wonder how they would sound in a house built on piers with a timber floor, 10ft ceilings and VJ walls.:D:p

woodyathome
28th December 2008, 09:33 PM
You may have seen the post about the rolling toy/rattle.

Well I made mine tonight... will stain it with water dyes and shellac it tomorrow and deliver it Saturday.

Cheers,

Chipman
Well I am new to this and this is my first night, But I think the rattle looks great and I have a 6 month old grandson so now i have to work out how you made it .

keju
28th December 2008, 09:41 PM
Woodyathome - chipman gave a link to the rattle plan in this thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=85886

Juvy

Buzza
28th December 2008, 10:12 PM
:DWell I never knew that about shellac! Yummy stuff. :D

Chipman
28th December 2008, 11:17 PM
The one with the ball inside is one of mine but really easy to do. Make the disks or side wheels 90 mm diameter. Space out six 8mm dowels at 60 degrees (or one radius) at a diameter of 70mm and put a ball inside. I turned the ball on the lathe but you could use any suitable ball such as a golf ball or ping pong ball etc.

Cheers,

Chipman