PDA

View Full Version : Festool 1400/2000 routers

fraserbluff
19th December 2008, 10:55 AM
Any thoughts on these two routers for use on a leigh Dovetail (D4R) jig. The 2000 is $300 more for the extra power. Are they both comparable other wise. Do the copy rings go on concentrically every time, and does the leigh adapter set concentrically every time.

Is the plunge mechanism easy to use when the router is at between belly button & nipple height. Is there another thought out there?

The other difference is the layout of the (plunge) handles.

For the money I dont want a regret, either too big or not enough power. If the 2000 does not feel cumbersome then I would probably go that way. I assume the bases on them are effectively the same.

Cheers

Donald (On the Rock)

Groggy
19th December 2008, 11:00 AM
You do not need the 2000 for the Leigh jig. the 2200 would excel at heavy work and under table use but would be wasted if you only intend to use it for a Leigh jig application. The dust extraction is definitely a plus though, very nice.

fraserbluff
19th December 2008, 12:57 PM
Groggy

Don't they both have dust extraction?

Donald (On the Rock)

Groggy
19th December 2008, 02:43 PM
Groggy

Don't they both have dust extraction?

Donald (On the Rock)Oops. Donald, the 1400 (http://www.idealtools.com.au/festool_router_of_1400) and 2000 both have a shrouded pickup. I was thinking of the 2200EB (http://www.idealtools.com.au/festool_router_of_2200) which has a new design that completely encloses the bit; with a good vac you get next to no dust at all.

I'd be happy with either router for the Leigh jig work. I suggest you ask Anthony at Ideal Tools for specific purposes and differences. Here is a link to their support page (https://www.idealtools.com.au/support.php).

LGS
19th December 2008, 03:38 PM
Depends on which jig you mean.
If you mean a Dove Tail jig, I would imagine that an OF1400 would more than suffice. If you are wanting to use the router on a Leigh FMT jig, I think I'd still want the power of a 2000. You can find yourself removing quite a bit of stock at times.

Regards,

Rob

timwilk
14th January 2009, 12:51 AM
I had the same question as I recently purchased a Leigh jig and over Christmas wanted to buy a Festool router. The router will ultimately be used with a router table as well so my considerations were a bit wider than yours perhaps.

The question I had was the same as yours - the 2200 or 1400. I looked at both and was certainly impressed by both. In the end I went on gut feel and the advice of the shop assistant who had thoroughly tested it and a friend I was with - the 2200 is a heavy beast which which will cut through anything you throw at it. The dust extraction was as advertised i.e. over 90% according to the shop assistant.

My needs were a bit more basic and I opted for the 1400 which is a comfortable weight to move around and I believe should have sufficent power. I've done some basic tests on some softwood offcuts since getting it home and it works beautifully. Not had time to test it on the Leigh or on any hardwood yet. First job it to build a router table for it!

Not sure about your comment on the price as there was approx $900 difference between the 1400 and the 2200 which was another big factor in my decision. I did not see the 2000 on sale anywhere I looked in Adelaide or on the Festool website.

fraserbluff
14th January 2009, 12:31 PM
Tim

Look in the Festool Forum. I have posted a longer thread about the Festool OF1400 and the Leigh Jig. I hope that the Router doesnt disappoint you as it did me.

Cheers

Donald (On the Rock)