PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar Platters

BazzaDLB
19th December 2008, 05:01 PM
Well here goes!!!

First post of some of my work - my excuse is that I've only worked out how to use the camera!! Haven't work out the lathe yet.

Some time ago I went up to Bob Whitworth at Cedar Creek and purchased some red cedar and also got a few logs as well. Finally got around to splitting one into blanks and this is the result of the first attempt with it.

The dear wife decided they are good enough to give as Christmas presents to some of the rellies - not sure about to friends!!

Anyway here goes - hope it works.

dai sensei
19th December 2008, 05:33 PM
Looks great baz :2tsup: Great variation to the cheese board idea.

Are the central tiles bought, or did you hand paint them?

tea lady
19th December 2008, 05:52 PM
Hey! Not bad. The bickies go round the outside.:2tsup: Next xmas you can make them cheese knives with turned handles. (The country style tiles aren't QUITE my taste, but .....:shrug: Well done.):cool:

Caveman
19th December 2008, 06:57 PM
Very nice:2tsup:.

I like the look of that cedar!
Any idea what the botanical name of the tree might be?

TTIT
19th December 2008, 07:04 PM
As TL said, the tiles are a personal taste thing but you've done a great job on them anyway. The finish looks spot-on and the red cedar works great with the tile colours :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
19th December 2008, 07:28 PM
Baz, great work!!
The round tiles are a very nice add.
I would keep one for myself...!!!
Ad:2tsup:

rsser
19th December 2008, 08:29 PM
Hate to rain on your parade ... doesn't look like Aus Red Cedar to me.

Put twenty bucks on it.

Andy, Toona Australis was one term for the real thing; there are others.

robyn2839
19th December 2008, 10:45 PM
Hate to rain on your parade ... doesn't look like Aus Red Cedar to me.

Put twenty bucks on it.

have the same timber from the same place as bazz some of it is a little pale but i beleive it to be australian red cedar,the older dry slabs are red as red could be, who knows, may have to get conformation for you from bob whitworth., he grew and cut the stuff............bob

marter1229
20th December 2008, 03:59 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Great!

Terry

bobsreturn2003
20th December 2008, 07:14 AM
have the same red cedar ,from young trees- toona cilata-new name after discovered growing elsewhere. no longer toona australis, very pretty figured cedar , nice work , bob

Ed Reiss
20th December 2008, 01:03 PM
Bazza...friends, relatives, no matter who receives them they should be proud of your work. They look great!!!:2tsup:

rsser
20th December 2008, 03:06 PM
Its the strong diff in colour between the spring and summer growth rings in the pale section that has me doubting.

Happy to cough up if I'm wrong though.

Gil Jones
20th December 2008, 03:22 PM
Well, Bazz, no matter what species wood it is, you did a great job turning them:2tsup::2tsup:

new_guy90
20th December 2008, 05:30 PM
very nice i like the idea of the tile just not if the paints going to come off ............the woods very nice good job :2tsup:

Caveman
20th December 2008, 05:43 PM
... doesn't look like Aus Red Cedar to me.

Thanks Ern - that's what I thought - but having never seen it in the flesh :shrug:

have the same red cedar ,from young trees- toona cilata-new name after discovered growing elsewhere. no longer toona australis, very pretty figured cedar , nice work , bob

Yep - now toona ciliata.

We have one growing out here that is known as Cedrela toona - quite confusing:?. I had always assumed it was Toona ciliata/australis.

Caveman
20th December 2008, 05:50 PM
Just done some more googling - am now officially confused:?:?:?.

Cedrela toona /Cedrela australis / Toona ciliata/ Toona australis
Seems it maybe one and the same thing - lots of synonyms etc....?????

(Native to India, Southeast Asia, Australia
Introduced range: Invasive in southern Africa, Hawaii and Tonga. Introduced but not considered invasive in tropical Africa, tropical Central and South America, Seychelles and many Pacific Islands.)

NeilS
20th December 2008, 11:40 PM
Just done some more googling - am now officially confused:?:?:?.

Cedrela toona /Cedrela australis / Toona ciliata/ Toona australis
Seems it maybe one and the same thing - lots of synonyms etc....?????

(Native to India, Southeast Asia, Australia
Introduced range: Invasive in southern Africa, Hawaii and Tonga. Introduced but not considered invasive in tropical Africa, tropical Central and South America, Seychelles and many Pacific Islands.)

Toona australis is what they called it when they were still pulling it out in timber jinkers loads when I was a boy up on the Far Nth Coast of NSW, but as we didn't have a monopoly on it the botanists started to later play around with the name. I still call it Toona australis for old time sake!

Just in case you think I was exagerating about the timber jinker loads, that old photo attached is of my grandfather and older brother next to a load of cedar logs from our family property at Alstonville back in the late 1940's. Just wish they had kept a load for me :(.

Neil

OGYT
21st December 2008, 02:44 AM
Whew!!! I'm glad you all mentioned the tiles... I was so disappointed that none of my trees have ever had a piccie inside! I was just heartbroken. :D
Baz, truly nice work! And they'd do well for friends, too. :U

wheelinround
21st December 2008, 10:32 AM
Impressive Bazza :2tsup:

robyn2839
21st December 2008, 02:41 PM
so is it red cedar or not??? bob whitworth will be disappointed, fancy growing the stuff cutting it down ,having it milled, shedded and dried ,advertised it on the forum , only to find out it is not red cedar, lucky a forumite picked it up....bet bazzas disappointed as well...........bob

bobsreturn2003
21st December 2008, 03:08 PM
Its red cedar toona cilata -australia . look at the grain, and the smell of it ! does it smell like red cedar? quite distinctive ! reading bob whitworths writings i think he may just be right ! timbers vary greatly due to genes and enviromental factors . looks young and good soil to me .cheers bob

Caveman
21st December 2008, 04:14 PM
Just in case you think I was exagerating about the timber jinker loads, that old photo attached is of my grandfather and older brother next to a load of cedar logs from our family property at Alstonville back in the late 1940's. Just wish they had kept a load for me :(.Neil
Cool picture Neil:2tsup:.

robyn2839
21st December 2008, 06:12 PM
Its red cedar toona cilata -australia . look at the grain, and the smell of it ! does it smell like red cedar? quite distinctive ! reading bob whitworths writings i think he may just be right ! timbers vary greatly due to genes and enviromental factors . looks young and good soil to me .cheers bob

sure has that cedar smell,and the grain is definitely cedar,will find a pics of some of the slabs baz and i got , it all came from the one tree..............................bob

prozac
21st December 2008, 10:39 PM
Great looking bowls/platters/cheese plates Bazza! I like the timber colour and figure.

BazzaDLB
22nd December 2008, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated.

I forgot to mention in my haste to get the post up before I chickened out that they were finished by sanding to 600 grit and then EEE followed by Traditional Wax.

Neil, the tiles were purchased from Vermec at Redcliffe. My painting ability stops with stick men and that is a bit of exaggeration.

I was looking for some marble tile or something similar but couldn't source any.

Any ideas where one can get them for future reference?

Now Ern, which one of us has to donate $20.00 to the others charity of choice??

I'll go with the growers opinion.

I'll get in first and suggest you make an extra platter/bowl for David's CF charity auction!!

rsser
22nd December 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the education all :- - which charity do you want me to donate to Bazz?

BazzaDLB
22nd December 2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the education all :- - which charity do you want me to donate to Bazz?

Hi Ern,

I'm sure David's CF Charity drive will be more than happy to receive an extra platter or bowl from you as payment of your 'bet'!!

Its value will be far more than $20.00 I'm sure.

Well done on getting some info to all on 'Red Cedar' and variations thereof!!

Thanks again.

rsser
22nd December 2008, 03:32 PM
There's a chance that I'll be involved in the judging and certainly in the popular vote counting so I won't be entering Bazz.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2008, 03:48 PM
Very nice, Bazza! :2tsup:

My only concern is that you used a silastic to glue the tiles in and NOT a glue? [fingers Xed] It'd be a crying shame if you went to use 'em one day and at the first cut... *CRACK*

DAMHIKT. :-

There's a chance that I'll be involved in the judging and certainly in the popular vote counting so I won't be entering Bazz.

So you'd be disqualified from the judging but that doesn't mean no-one will buy it... :;

rsser
22nd December 2008, 06:18 PM
Geez you're a technical b*gger Skew ;-}

Happy to donate my time and hospitality. And 20 bucks for a poor call :-

BazzaDLB
23rd December 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Skew,

Thanks for the comment and advice - used sikaflex to bed them so should be ok.

Ern, sounds good to me and thanks

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the comment and advice - used sikaflex to bed them so should be ok.

Good choice. I only mentioned it 'cos you didn't, and it can be a trap for those who don't know.

(I learned the hard way. :sigh:)

munruben
23rd December 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi mate, Only just noticed your thread. Wow that is great work. I am looking forward to the day I can do something like that. Absolutely beautiful.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: