PDA

View Full Version : Pull along toy

Chipman
20th December 2008, 01:33 AM
I made this for a christmas present (2 yr old girl)

It is a pull along toy (90mm x 165mm)

It is made to be symmetrical.... works either way with no upside down so it still works even if it turns over.

Wheels were cut from Jarrah with a Carbitool wheel cutter and I put a steel sleeve in each one (6.5mm "bundy tube and used 50mm x 10 self tapping screws. Wheels spin really well and strong.

You will see the base has two 8mm holes 45 mm apart... this is so animal cutouts or other shapes simply "plug in" using the dowels. It is being supplied with a blue elephant. Other animals to follow . Now it will be just a matter of choosing what to put on the pull along.

Finish is UBEAUT non toxic water dyes and white shellac.

AUSSIE
20th December 2008, 10:51 AM
I love your rattle and this (pullalong) :2tsup:
They look great,and work as well.
Do you really need to put a top coat on the food dye?
It looks like it might look better with age,giving it a vintage look.
What do you think
Aussie

Chipman
20th December 2008, 01:36 PM
I love your rattle and this (pullalong) :2tsup:
They look great,and work as well.
Do you really need to put a top coat on the food dye?
It looks like it might look better with age,giving it a vintage look.
What do you think
Aussie

Thanks Aussie... from what I can see, the dye will bleed out if it is not sealed. I am really thinking that next time, I might just shellac the pine directly with no colouring. I have another 2 made and waiting to be finished right now.

Cheers,

Chipman

Charleville
20th December 2008, 07:22 PM
T I might just shellac the pine directly with no colouring.

Why? The colored ones look pretty good. Is there a particular reason for not coloring them, please?

Chipman
20th December 2008, 09:58 PM
I guess I am a bit fussy! the dyes don't come out as even as I like. I can do better with paint but it is not as safe.

Cheers,
Chipman

Charleville
21st December 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I am going to steal your idea for a present in April.

My two year old grand-daughter has always spent heaps of time when visiting us sitting and putting little connectable plastic cup things together over and over again so I reckon that a pull toy with animals that fit into the holes and can be swapped around will be a great thing for her little sister. Obviously little kids like doing that sort of thing. 'Tis too long ago for me to remember. :D

keju
28th December 2008, 09:49 AM
I love your idea of making more animals ..... that's going to give this so much more play value.....it will be played with for so much longer! What a great idea..... makes you wonder why nobody thought of it before! You could have a whole zoo or circus.... a farm.... hmmmmm might have to design a trailer? lol

As for painting.... I do like to leave most wood natural, but kids do love colour. I've never used dyes..... but I think if you use sanding sealer first your dyes would come out more even? I do that with watered down acrylic paints.... even without using sanding sealer.... just brushing it on and wiping it off right away gives a bit of colour and doesn't look too blotchy...
Or even watering down the dyes and doing several coats might work?
I'm happy with the acrylics because there's less mess , they wash off my fingers. Knowing myself... if I were to use dyes I'd be walking around with very colourful hands for a while.....

Juvy

Charleville
28th December 2008, 10:01 AM
but I think if you use sanding sealer first your dyes would come out more even?

What is sanding sealer, please?

Chipman
28th December 2008, 10:21 AM
sanding sealer is a thin coat of shellac or lacquer. It "sets" the wood fibres (or "fur") so that with another light sand, you cut them off and get a really smooth flat surface.

Some do that before using the water dyes too to make the stain absorbtion more even (I do that sometimes)

Cheers,

Chipman

Charleville
28th December 2008, 10:27 AM
Ahh - many thanks.

There is so much for us beginner boofheads to learn! :wink:

keju
28th December 2008, 05:01 PM
Chipman, I was soooo relieved to see you answered that one.
I get my sanding sealer from Ken and he of course buys it from UBeaut... but I'd have been hard pressed to explain what it is! I just know what it does.

Juvy

artme
28th December 2008, 09:09 PM
Well done! Should be a happy little girl!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Old farmer
1st January 2009, 07:24 AM
Have just now discovered this thread and thank Chipman and Juvy especially. This year, all well, I hope to make a couple of pull-alongs, these simple ones, and all this information is invaluable.
Thank you.

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 03:15 PM
great pull-a-long :2tsup::2tsup:
where's the rest of the menagerie?

Chipman
1st January 2009, 05:50 PM
great pull-a-long :2tsup::2tsup:
where's the rest of the menagerie?

Working on it at the moment!

1st one..... the little girl's name..... luckily it only has 3 letters! (already cut out)

2nd one.... a duck

then a whale

then?????

Will post the pics when they are done.

Cheers,
Chipman