PDA

View Full Version : been playing

lubbing5cherubs
20th December 2008, 01:52 PM
Hi This is just a couple of bits I been playing wtih a couple of bits of corian and just learning this lathe bit by bit these are todays work. The flower very happy with the bubbles not so happy but that plenty of room for improvement. I thought I would make it on nothing so if it buggered up oh well throw it out. so here we go. Gees I thought pens were hard to photo graph these patterns are worse. This was taken on a window sill I think my camera settings are all buggered up because this an auto focus jobby. :(
bye Toni

wheelinround
20th December 2008, 04:06 PM
:2tsup: Thats the way Toni first one is how I did the sun burst on the Cedar Bowl (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/SMufNPD8QaI/AAAAAAAAABs/6p4GyKsuhK8/s1600-h/IMG_2230.jpg) a while back.

:no: No dont toss them reface them if you can and you should be able to and try something else or again.

The circles on the other look like they would work out well a little more planning and checking prior cutting.

As you can see from your efforts if you want even cuts on flat surfaces it has to be flat and cutter has to be square to the face. Slightly off angle and you get sun burst.

To make the cuts stand out wipe some dark dye across the cuts and sand the rest off.

lubbing5cherubs
20th December 2008, 04:41 PM
what kind of dye is that?
Toni

wheelinround
20th December 2008, 04:46 PM
it depends on the surface corian may take to even heavy texta or paint or shoe polish dark of course food dyes for wood or U-beauts experiment and see.

prozac
26th December 2008, 03:53 PM
That's really neat Toni. Is this done on a metal lathe with screw-cutting ability?

lubbing5cherubs
26th December 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Prozac I did this with a cutter that cuts circle on an Ornamental lathe the one in my avatar. I had a man from proserpine come and give me some tips it was a great day and he helped me heaps
it always nice to learn off another turner
bye Toni