PDA

View Full Version : from TURKEY Wooden Gear Clock

fatih
21st December 2008, 05:29 AM
Hi everyone;
I am new to this forum from Turkey. I 'm a teacher and designer. I wanted to show my work. I also have many interesting and unique clocks. You can see my other clocks in YouTube if you search as " fatih abacioglu dişli wooden gear iskenderun" Some presidents has got my clocks.
Greetings from Turkey
Fatih ABACIOĞLU
[email protected]

masoth
21st December 2008, 06:51 AM
G'day Fatih - welcome to the forums. You might be the first member from Turkey.
Beautiful work on the clock.

soth

Yeebla
21st December 2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Fatih

I love your clock. It's very special. Impressive. Could we see a photo from the back? I am assuming there is a battery tucked away somewhere. That's quite a unique design with the movement of the gears displaying the time instead of hands. Hope I've got it right. Did you design it yourself? Look forward to seeing more of your clocks.

Yeebla

steck
21st December 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Fatih,
Very nice work indeed!:2tsup:
How long does it take to make a clock like this?
What timbers do you use?

munruben
21st December 2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, thats incredible fatih, well done:2tsup:

prozac
21st December 2008, 03:12 PM
Fantastic looking clock fatih. Do you make them from an available design or do you design them yourself? Where do you wind it?

Welcome to the forums.

Hobbyhorse
21st December 2008, 04:44 PM
Fatih, it is great to see a different take in wooden gear clockmaking. Can you show us more of the mechanical aspects of the movement?

Also, which part of Turkey are you from?

Rhys

Big Shed
21st December 2008, 05:28 PM
Beautiful work Fatih, I have take the liberty of putting up a link to your Youtube video

YouTube - gear clock

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:01 AM
Hi Fatih

I love your clock. It's very special. Impressive. Could we see a photo from the back? I am assuming there is a battery tucked away somewhere. You might be interested to know that there is a clock section on this forum. Just scroll down the forum list to find it. That's quite a unique design with the movement of the gears displaying the time instead of hands. Hope I've got it right. Did you design it yourself? Look forward to seeing more of your clocks.

Yeebla Hi !
You are right there is a quarts mechanism at the back of clock. You know that power is nearly zero so to transmit is very difficult from one gear to another. Gear that shows second takes its power from quarts clocks pivot.
Design is belong to me also patent of this clock is belong to me.

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:06 AM
G'day Fatih - welcome to the forums. You might be the first member from Turkey.
Beautiful work on the clock.

soth Hi masoth
I am also glad to be the first member from Turkey. I am very glad to be here that you 'll see my other interesting clocks that patents are belong to me and unique clocks in the future. Loves from Turkey

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:14 AM
Hi Fatih,
Very nice work indeed!:2tsup:
How long does it take to make a clock like this?
What timbers do you use?
Hi ! steck.
I am glad that you liked my work.. It takes my four weeks and some times it depends on my free time. I am a teacher . I make them in my spare times. If my wife helps me it can finish shortest time that she always helps me :). I'll send some of my clocks later.
Loves from Turkey

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:18 AM
Wow, thats incredible fatih, well done:2tsup:
Hi ! munruben
I am really glad that you loved my work. I think youl be very surprise if you see my other works.:). That is a world clock that shows 4 countrys times in one clock. Thats design is also belong to me. I exebited them some symposiums.
Loves from Turkey

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:21 AM
Fantastic looking clock fatih. Do you make them from an available design or do you design them yourself? Where do you wind it?

Welcome to the forums.
Hi ! prozac
Patent of this clock belong to me. Youl see my other works in future that patents belong to me.
Sorry that I can't answer late. You know that time differences. I am from Turkey.
Loves from Turkey

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:25 AM
Fatih, it is great to see a different take in wooden gear clockmaking. Can you show us more of the mechanical aspects of the movement?

Also, which part of Turkey are you from?

Rhys
Hi ! Hobbyhorse.
Thanks that you liked my clock. I think you'll be glad too when you see my other clocks.
I am the eastern point of Mediterranean . But I used to live in İstanbul long time.
Loves from Turkey

fatih
22nd December 2008, 05:50 AM
Hi. everyone
I am realy glad to be in this from from Turkey that I want to show you my Wooden Gear World Clock. Patent of this clock is belong to me. All parts of this clock were made by me and my wife. I used walnut, hornbeam and lime as timber. They are very old timbers the thickness of gears are 5 mm.
Clock shows Turkey, France, England and U.S.A (ny) times as hour, minute and second in one clock. I only made this clock two pieces. Mistakes on showing time is nearly 5 second in a year that it is very normal.
I use a quarts clock movements as a power that its pover is nearly zero. So transmit is very difficult from one gear to another.
You can show TRT TV feature in YouTube if you search as Fatih Abacioglu Dişli Saat Wooden Gear.
I also have some interesting clocks.
Loves from Turkey
Fatih Abacıoğlu [email protected]

Hobbyhorse
22nd December 2008, 07:32 PM
Fatih I was a the Captain of a freighter that worked into your home port in 1980s and got to know the area fairly well hence my question.

Rhys

artme
26th December 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Fatih and a big welcome to the forums!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your work is truly wonderful! Do you do other types of woodwork?

LOML and I spent 9 wonderful days in Turkey in August. Spent time in Istanbul then did a tour down to Gallipoli and along the west coast through Troy, Pergama, Ephisus, Pamukali, Kusidasi.I must say that we were impressed by everything from the quality of the fresh produce to the countryside, the archeological sites and the warmth and friendliness of the people.
Would love to return some day.

fatih
27th December 2008, 03:31 AM
Hi ! Artme
Thanks that you liked my clock. I usually make wooden gear clocks. Sometimes I make different style clocks. But I like wooden gears. I have many kinds of clocks. In fact I want to make many interesting clocks but I 'll retired next year so I can make clocks easily. I am a teacher in Turkey.
I am glad that you liked my country. I have been living in İskenderun. But I lived in İstanbul for a long time. This year I also visited west part of Turkey you visited. I wish you could visit south costs of Turkey like Side, Antalya, Kemer, Kaş, Fethiye and Gocek. I hope you can be in my country again.
Loves from Turkey

1964deano
17th December 2010, 04:02 PM
Hi all
Looking for some info on what species of timber to make wooden clock gears from. Most suppliers like Matthew's and Anagote are not experienced in what species of timber to use. I do have a short list but would which is best and available in 300 wide?
I know that I need :
Medium to Hardwood
Fine grained
Retains detail when machined and sanded
Resists splintering
Low distortion after machining.

Apple Beech Birch Boxwood Cherry Holly Hornbeam Maple Pear Sycamore Tupelo
Walnut
Any ideas would be welcome!

cheers

Dean.