PDA

View Full Version : my now log dogs

weisyboy
22nd December 2008, 06:58 PM
had a day of today after a cancellation so i got my slabber working and found on the bottoms of the light logs i needed something better than the blocks of wood i had so i made these up.

they sit over the 8x3 i have as bolsters and i knock them into the log and screw them in place.

i will try them out tomorrow before i make the other 2.

derekh
22nd December 2008, 07:24 PM
Nice one Carl.

johnnyroberts
22nd December 2008, 07:55 PM
Good one, gonna have to make a set, thanks

Burnsy
22nd December 2008, 07:56 PM
Good one Carl:2tsup:, am in the process of sourcing some ally to make similar ones myself, complete with pin to drive into the log like you have. I think forom a safety perspective the pins are great as there is no way the log can jump out. Watch your blades on those when swing milling - there is a reason Lucas make theirs out of cast alloy:o

Sigidi
23rd December 2008, 09:19 AM
Good stuff Carl, Aluminium is the go though. Also if you just tack a nut on the side (drill out the plate on the side obviously, then you can put a bit of threaded bar into it with a handle tacked on the end, (pic)this will make it really easy to tighten them and hold them in place without using any tools.

Like Mike (we've been talking about an idea or two) I'm doing something similar so I don't have to batten screw mine in with the cordless all the time. IT works fine, until the battery goes flat:(

Arthur Dyason
23rd December 2008, 09:24 AM
Carl

Just make sure the pins nock into timber not just bark. Good to have the horizontal pins, makes it easier to judge where you can mill down to.

Just a thought for improvement - weld a chain on one and a hook turnbuckle on the other. This means you can tighten the dogs onto any size log from below but still be a fast way to dog.

arthur

weisyboy
23rd December 2008, 09:56 AM
i will just knock then into the log with the hammer.

i will put a turn bolt on them once i know they work.:2tsup: