PDA

View Full Version : 18th birthday present

campbellton
22nd December 2008, 11:22 PM
just though id post this one as it got quiet a few requests for more of them. he was one of the hard to buy for people so i though id make him something fiting for an 18th. and it was a bit late also made it on the day of his birthday.
it was made from 3 pieces of different timber the top was mango stem was macadamia and the base an unknown gum.
it holds about 800mls so its quiet big and does what its intended for.
finished with bees wax to make sure its food safe.any sugestions for other food /liquid safe finishes cause i think i will have to do quiet a few more of them
let me know what you think.

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Campbellton ..welcome to the forums.:U

Going on the assumption that your relatively new to woodturning, you've put forth a good effort on turning the goblet. However, the overall design is somewhat off. The base and stem are not "in relation" to the cup ...the base and stem need to be thinner in order to bring it into balance.

A couple of suggestions:

Google "bowl design" and woodturning design" ...Mike Darlow has a good book out on the subject.
Join a local turning club (if there is one in your area).

Wishing you the best in your future turnings....it only gets better!:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2008, 01:55 AM
G'day and welcome to the asylum.

I like to use Rustin's Plastic Finish inside the bowls of my goblets, for the outside I tend to just use Danish Oil, although I've recently had a couple returned for refinishing on the outside after going through a dish-washer. :-:rolleyes:

Although I agree with Ed about the shape, it's not like you're entering it in a competition. And getting requests for more is certainly a good sign you're doing something right.

Miranda
25th December 2008, 07:32 AM
G'day and welcome to the asylum.

I like to use Rustin's Plastic Finish inside the bowls of my goblets, for the outside I tend to just use Danish Oil, although I've recently had a couple returned for refinishing on the outside after going through a dish-washer. :-:rolleyes:

Although I agree with Ed about the shape, it's not like you're entering it in a competition. And getting requests for more is certainly a good sign you're doing something right.

Indeed, keep at what youre doing, its a nice job. I have heard that Danish Oil is not the best, as it gets removed after being washed.

artme
25th December 2008, 08:08 AM
Good workmanship mate! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Agree with Ed on design elements but that will come with time.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2008, 04:21 PM
I have heard that Danish Oil is not the best, as it gets removed after being washed.

Agreed. Sort of. Danish oil, if properly applied, penetrates into the surface of the timber, similar to using a Mineral Oil. With washing the gloss wears to a dull matte, but the timber itself remains sealed. Unless you wash very aggressively and remove the outer layer of timber. :D

A PolyU, on the other hand, only sits on the surface like a layer of paint but is way more durable in that it will keep the gloss finish for much, much longer. However, I don't like the plasticky feel it tends to give a piece. Just my personal preference although I do use PolyU at times as, of course, "the customer is always right."

(I'd like to point out that many so-called commercial "Danish Oils" are, in reality, just PolyU's with a teaspoon of Tung Oil waved over the can - a marketing gimmick. Some - I won't name names - fail dismally at being either. :rolleyes:)

campbellton
30th December 2008, 11:51 AM
i have been turning for about 2 years now but with senior year just finished i havent had much time in the shed. so it was my first turning in a while. i should have spent more time planing it out. thanks guys