PDA

View Full Version : Olive timber galore...!

robutacion
23rd December 2008, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Finely, and after a 3 year wait and lots of social cordial visits in between, I finely got the green light to cut these 3 olive trees that were in the wrong place now, that he wants to expend its vineyard. According to the property owner, those olive trees were already very mature when the "big fires" run through all that area in 1958. On the larger stump (highest from the ground), near the fence is still visible a large ring of burnt wood that obviously had to be cut right down as it was burning inside, after the fire ended. This particular ring were the chainsaw then, did cut the trunk lower to the ground, is about 3 feet diameter, there is, only half circle is visible, as the other half has had a regrowth since. These trees were never trimmed as olive producers, even tough, the olives were picked every year by and old Italian couple. Either due to the fire or to the excellent rich soil where they were growing, the huge root system have shut-up lots of multiple branches that become considerable size trunks. The thick canopy and the number of trunks to be removed, had become the volume of dozen and a half single trees. I/we believe (myself and the owner), that all this growth has develop after the 1958 fires, as from the size of the roots, it certainly indicate that the original ones were all burnt and were cut down. The way the trunks have developed (multiple branches) from the root system is also a good indicative that this was really what happened. That also explain why is not a lot of heartwood in the small and medium logs, this is an indicative that the trees are not very old (about 50 years) and the whole tree become a muck quicker grower then normal. The number of trunks allowed to grow, has triggered the root system to use most of its nutrients to feed the quick growing and demanding new shuts.

Today (yesterday, Monday) I manage to finish cutting all the trunks into transportable sizes, some of then will be requiring a winch to get them into the trailer. I started this job, last Friday, cutting all day, and brought home 4 loads already, one each day, but I was asked not to use the chainsaw on the weekend so, whatever I didn't manage to cut last Friday, I cut it yesterday - Monday. For what I can see, I will need at least another 5 to 6 loads to get it all home. After that, a bulldozer will have the job to rip those huge roots out of the ground. They will be pulled out , pushed into a pile and allowed to dry a bit for a few months, before I have to take them home. Hopefully by then, most of the soil and weigh, are lost, making transportation less of a drama. It has been lots of offers made to the property owner when people has found out that these olive trees were coming out but, we already have a deal made last year, of $1,000 for the lot, including the stumps, without him moving a finger, appart from the fact that he was to pay for the bulldozer time. This is the same property and the some owner, that near 4 year ago I cut 2 other olive trees, this ones with only a single trunk but very mature, for which we had an "verbal" agreement that would allow me to do the job and keep half of the timber, as he then (the owner) was using himself some firewood in the house. I only kept a couple of small logs and I requested permission to store my timber at one conner of the paddock, away from being on the road. At that time also, I was living next to him (200 meters) so I felt that the timber and the 2 roots also were safe while they were drying, as I hadn't enough room to store them.

Before I moved a few miles up, I spoke to him and ask if the timber could stay there until I was ready to take it home, and according to him, I could live it there as long as I wanted, as it was not in anyones way.
In the beginning of this year 2008, after I manage to get the timber storage paddock here next to the house, I rung him to let him know that I was going to pick it up, in a few loads, only for him to reply saying that the timber was no longer there, he have sold it as firewood, after he decided to remove the wood fireplace in the house and replace it with an electric system. According to him, he had an offer for all the firewood he had for himself at the other end of the paddock, and decided to sell my pile, as he thought I didn't needed it any more...!:((
What happen to honesty and keeping your word? what in the heck are phones made for? I was never offered a reimburse for the value of the timber that he sold of mine, as to him was still his timber.:o:no:
So this time, and as soon as he decide to sell it to me, a written agreement was made and sign. I know that he had a lot higher offers than mine recently, but he knew that he had already done the wrong thing to me once, and this, is greed would cost him dearly, and he knew that so, we rejected the other offers, which of some of them I knew from whom they come from.
I'm working as hard as I can to get all the timber out of there, unfortunately, I only have a small trailer 6x4 and quite honestly, that is all my old waggon can cope coming up the big hills! with round trip at close to 90km.

I'm going to mill some of the largest and longest logs (left for this purpose), on my new GB44" mill and the 105cc chainsaw with a 36" bar for now, arriving in the next day or so, well I hope. So, at the moment folks, I've got plenty of olive wood, if anyone wants some, you should know by now, what to do...!:wink:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

OGYT
23rd December 2008, 05:17 AM
Color me green. Really, really, green. :D
Nice haul!!

cornucopia
23rd December 2008, 05:56 AM
wow what a haul- nice to see someone using some saftey gear. :2tsup:

Tankstand
23rd December 2008, 06:42 AM
Glad to see you have been kind of compensated for his earlier discretion!

PM sent!

hughie
23rd December 2008, 08:56 AM
...........................sigh

wheelinround
23rd December 2008, 09:20 AM
George :o thats a haul you'll have to show us some colour when ready

Time for a small truck me thinks with a lift like DJ's got would save on fuel and running costs and you could take it home to mill then.

Ray

Andy Mac
23rd December 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi RBTCO,
I'm envious, olive is a beautiful wood. That should keep you in the shed making furniture, or turning, for years!!

Well done, your patience has payed off.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2008, 01:31 PM
Good find RBTCO!!:2tsup:

robutacion
23rd December 2008, 03:12 PM
George :o thats a haul you'll have to show us some colour when ready

Time for a small truck me thinks with a lift like DJ's got would save on fuel and running costs and you could take it home to mill then.

Ray

Thanks everyone, I'm surely happy to be the owner of this lot, but I will sleep a lot better after I get all the stuff out of there. As we speak, the best logs are still there due to their weigh and the need to use a winch that at the moment needs repairs. You can actually see on the background of some pics, the gum stumps left from the same spot where I also cut the 2 other olive trees. I only took my 2 stumps and my half olive timber away from that spot, to another area seen in background of one of the pics, definitely out of the way for any possible work needed to be done in the are where the tree were. Funny, how things come together when you're telling the truth!, as some of the forumates that read the very beginning of this "story", some time ago, would recall...!:roll:

In regards to that small truck with a lift system on it, where are you, DJ's from this area?:U
What a nice Christmas present would be, to have all that timber picked up by one of those and taking to my storage paddock, unloading also...!:( my wife Merissa and myself, wouldn't need to take as many pain killers, our backs are killing us:C!

Oh, Oh, Oh, my 105cc chainsaw with 2x36" bars & 2xnormal chains, were delivered this morning at 8:30 am by TNT. Money transfered to the Chinese Company on Wednesday morning 17/12/08, parcel from China arriving at my door on morning of the Tuesday 23/12/08 :o, now... that's what I call "service". Australian Post, can you ear...????:no:.
My mate Laurie from Sawchain has send me the 44" GB lumber mill last week, and the 3 specially made skip chains, has arrived yesterday so, it will not take long before I have it all together and making some noise...!:doh::D oops, I need to get something to make a couple of "rails" for the mill's first cut!:C:q.

I will give a little more info on this 105cc chainsaw model, soon...

RBTCO

dai sensei
23rd December 2008, 10:17 PM
Great score :2tsup: Those roots are going to be the gems though, please post more picks when you get to cut them apart.

Mobil Man
24th December 2008, 03:01 AM
Lot's of good wood there. Olive wood in these parts is junk. Not worth cutting. That'll last you for years to come. Check those wheel bearings on that trailer & be careful of overloading. Hate to hear about it loosing a wheel half way home.

robutacion
24th December 2008, 01:28 PM
Lot's of good wood there. Olive wood in these parts is junk. Not worth cutting. That'll last you for years to come. Check those wheel bearings on that trailer & be careful of overloading. Hate to hear about it loosing a wheel half way home.

Hi Mobil Man,

Thank you for you good advice on the trailer wheel bearings condition. The trailer looks a bit worth for ware but, the main frame is very sound and it was built in the old days when metal was thick. The tyres are for small truck type, the springs are the size on what they put now on a trailer double that size and the bearings are in perfect condition and re-greased just a month ago. The trailer doesn't seem to mind a decent load (just about the legal weight of 500kg) just on the front half...!:q, the poor old waggon is the one that doesn't like towing it up these big hills...!:no::doh:
Precaution No.1- secure you load properly.
Precaution No.2- Drive slowly
Precaution No.3- Every 20km or so, stop and check things, ropes, tyres, feel the temperature of the wheel bearings hubs(caps), if too hot, the bearings are stressing(dry, damaged, lose, too tight, etc).
Precaution No.4- Make sure at least the indicators and brake lights work properly and in the right order, allowing people behind to become aware of your intentions!.
Precaution No.5- Drinking "grog" while loading and/or driving with the trailer, will not reduce the load weight, nor the distance home, but will give you a good chance to reduce your life expectancy...!
Precaution No.6- If you're religious, do lots of praying...!
Precaution No.7- If you're not, kiss the missus and the kids good-bye, just in case!

And, if you and the load gets home sound and safe, remember to enjoy working with that timber as if was your last load...!:o:wink::D

PS: I sell part of my woods so, this lot being olive, is not going to last long...!:no:

Season Greetings everyone!

RBTCO

NeilS
24th December 2008, 02:37 PM
Good haul Robutacion.

I found, as you probably did from your previous haul George, that large pieces of olive can spilt very badly due to its high shrinkage rate when cut green.

Hope you manage to retrieve it out of the sun, mill, seal, store and green turn most of the haul before any splitting sets in.

In my case most of the splitting occurred right through the best coloured and figured heartwood, just where I didn't want it to happen. The olive that I was working with came from the lower Adelaide Hills, a still relatively wet area, so your experience may be different as it sounds as if yours has come form the drier Adelaide Plains. You probably have more experience dealing with green wood that I have, so may manage this better than I did.

I'll follow how it goes for you with interest, George.

Happy Christmas

Neil

robutacion
25th December 2008, 12:07 AM
Hi Neil,

I make no secret of the area from where this lot come from, McLaren Flat.

There is no easy answer for the splitting/cracking problem, I hope I can minimise the damage by introducing a 22' container, stainless steel inside at my storage paddock for timber drying. The container itself in summer time will reach enough temp. to Kiln dry what is inside, I have also at the paddock a 1.5 cubic industrial wood-burner, which I will connect to the container motor vents with some heat resistant flexible pipe. The burner will use all my left overs, saw dust, shavings and some extra firewood if necessary. The container will be filled with metal mesh shelves all around, making hot air circulation easier. I have not yet worked out how long the timber has to be inside, as that will depend of the temperature that can be reached, with and without the burner. Just by simply storing the timber in mesh shelving in an dark & enclose environment, can only help the timber to stabilise quicker and better, so I hope...!

I can understand perfectly well, the way you feel about that olive of yours, I have lost far too much good & unique timber, irregardless you much work I put into it, with the conditions I have. There are, far too many variants, that can make certain timbers to react the way they do, and that has to do more to where you are than what you do, unless some sort of "dramatic" steps are taken to create the right conditions. I'm having some unexpected reactions from timbers that I thought I had under control, so I'm doing something about it. If it is going to work the way I want to, not sure, is it going to be an improvement, yes it will!:D

I just have to work out a muffler that doesn't let fire sparks come out of the burner, that will be priority number one!:~:doh:

Cheers
RBTCO

Miranda
25th December 2008, 07:12 AM
That is a nice haul! In my area, olive isnt that good. But that load is just great!

artme
25th December 2008, 08:11 AM
Oh, love it!!:D:D

robutacion
27th December 2008, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone,

Hope that you all had a trouble free Christmas!

It was not intended yet to turn any timber from this last lot of olive, and I haven't got any more from there yet, but in the first few trips, I selected a side a few pieces and took them home for preparation. Those were part of a large branch that has snapped some time ago, even tough still attached to the trunk, it was completely dry as a bone, large cracks/splits, the lot...!. Together with these dry pieces I had cut a couple of "lumps" round burl look a like, at the root base, these are quite common of some olive trees!
Anyway, late afternoon yesterday, and after a hot day, I decided to start cutting those dry logs and other odd bits I had covered with a tarp. My first piece was green piece that I had to cut from one of the large branches (tree fork joint), which I cut 2 usable small slabs to round later at about 10". My second piece was this round "pimple":D cut from the root base, and looking at it a bit better, I decided to try to turn it as one piece, after I marked and remove the corners. Using a 67mm forstner bit, I cut a chuck recess and mounted it on the lathe, using the tail stock as support for all the initial cuts. This piece had a hole on one side of this natural round olive (de)formation, so I wasn't expecting much, as I knew it would get in the way sooner or later. I decided to get dirty and make shavings fly, new TCT tools in hand, the mosquitoes that by then were starting to get hungry and bitting like hell, all disappear in a hurry, those wet shavings where hitting like bullets in all directions, they didn't like that..!:o

After a change of speed up from the lowest setting used initially, I could see that this one was going to be a "lost cause", shape was getting all wrong trying to remove the bad bits, the hole now was becoming a large chunk missing on one side with some bark still attached. I finished the turning for the day, leaving the piece on the lathe unfinished and not very promising...!

I haven't comeback to it yet, as I'm looking at it every time I go passed, but this one is not talking to me at all, strange...! did it went away for the holiday, or is me with blurred vision:?:doh:. I think I will try to finish cutting the dry logs I've got in front of the shed, not much, about 5 wheel barrows of dry olive timber cut in all sizes from 1' to 3'.

What you're reckon...! do I finish this "lump", or just stop there and put it aside into the "specially shaped firewood basket"?:(:no:

I will be slicing/slabbing some of the larger green logs soon, so pics of the grain will be available also soon!:wink:.

RBTCO

Brendan1152
27th December 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi George,

I think you have the beginnings of a unique and distinctive cheese platter there, I vote for you to finish it:D

PM sent on the subject of saving me some olive:U

Have a good New Years Eve.

robutacion
28th December 2008, 02:51 AM
Hi peoples,

Well, I decided to get it over and done with, free the lathe for a good clean and some other stuff. Anyway, it lost 2/3 of its original size (nearly!), not anything too special but will do. Now, the problems is going to be, how it is going to look in 6 months time?. The timber was/is green and I finish the piece already, I left if tonight with a good coat of timber stabiliser, and i will give it a succession of 6 coats, one per day. After that is going to be let to dry in a dark and isolated place (under the bed) special home kiln.:D

Not a piece to present in competitions, or art gallery displays, it's only what come out of that "lump" that was sticking out on one of the olive tree roots I recently cut. Being olive, is good enough for me...!:;

RBTCO

dai sensei
28th December 2008, 11:36 AM
Nice :2tsup:

What are you using as timber stabilizer?

Ed Reiss
28th December 2008, 12:49 PM
RBTCO....when that puppy starts talking to you, let us know so that we can recommend a different type of forum!:o:doh:

Lookin' pretty good so far!

robutacion
28th December 2008, 01:20 PM
Nice :2tsup:

What are you using as timber stabilizer?

Neil

I use the Fungishield from Feast Watson, it has become my "life guard" sometimes. If working with pine or similar woods, and you want the timber to maintain its "new/fresh cut" look, a 50% mix with Prooftint with Funfishield is an excellent and efficient option.

Ed Reiss,

"RBTCO....when that puppy starts talking to you, let us know so that we can recommend a different type of forum!:o:doh:"
Sure mate, what, the "mad house" psychological award?:D

RBTCO

dai sensei
28th December 2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks

Hmm, more stuff to buy :(:D

keithkarl2007
29th December 2008, 12:25 PM
nice one. i'm cutting down a yew tree in the next few weeks. gonna be fun, haven't got a chainsaw or a means of getting it home :oo:

robutacion
29th December 2008, 01:42 PM
nice one. i'm cutting down a yew tree in the next few weeks. gonna be fun, haven't got a chainsaw or a means of getting it home :oo:

If you were closer, I would get it down and cut it into manageable sizes for you at least but, "the getting it home"..., well, you do the lifting...!:o:q:D

Can you get a pic or two of the tree you are going to cut?

RBTCO

keithkarl2007
29th December 2008, 10:50 PM
yeah i can do that, the tree is actually growing up against a moate wall at a castle near us. i went in to enquire about a large burl growing on a tree as you enter the castle and they said the yew tree has to be taken down as it is damaging the wall. its quite a large estate and am going to go for a walk around it maybe today to see what else i may obtain. as for the burl the roadway in to the castle is someone elses property and thats where its growing, i just don't know how to find out who owns it

robutacion
29th December 2008, 11:29 PM
yeah i can do that, the tree is actually growing up against a moate wall at a castle near us. i went in to enquire about a large burl growing on a tree as you enter the castle and they said the yew tree has to be taken down as it is damaging the wall. its quite a large estate and am going to go for a walk around it maybe today to see what else i may obtain. as for the burl the roadway in to the castle is someone elses property and thats where its growing, i just don't know how to find out who owns it

Hi keithkarl
Thanks for your reply.
It would be great to actually see where and how that tree is located. Being of European background myself (Portugal), I look forward to see a real castle. If possible, take a couple of pics also of that tree with the burl (what species is it?). The people that live in the castle should be able to tell you who own the roadway. Is strange that the roadway is not own by the castle owner, and in that case it has to be a close neighbour. I would ask to the castle owner, what sort of rights he/she has on the maintenance and tree trimming on the access road. You find that if he/she is responsible for the road access maintenance, removing a tree burl from it, can be authorised by this person. This is obviously, in "generic" terms, as the area can be covered by all other sorts of arrangements, so I would recommend for you not to touch it, until you know where you stand.

Good luck

RBTCO

keithkarl2007
29th December 2008, 11:50 PM
i think the tree with the burl is oak, i'll bring my camera with me today as i'm heading there soon. i wouldn't cut the burl off anyway as its huge and would stand out like a sore thumb. thats another question i had, how do you slice off such a large burl, i don't want to damage the tree too much if i do get it

robutacion
30th December 2008, 12:57 AM
Hi keithkarl2007,

Well, how big is big to you?

One of the best practises to remove burls, is to use a chainsaw bar length that can remove the burl in one go, if possible, like if you were slicing it from the tree with a big knife. To repair or help the tree to re-grow the bark on the cut area, there are a number of things that you can use but, the best of the lot is to ask to your local tree/plant nursery, what they recommend for that particular tree species, taking into consideration that they will have the knowledge of what is use locally for skin/bark graft. If this information in not available to you, the simplest, easiest and most effective thing to use is some water base white timber glue, some local soil and a little bit of olive oil. You can make the mix on the spot, using the soil from under that tree and the olive oil to dilute the consistency to a brush paintable condition. Like any other tree/plant crafts, the crucial secret is to protect the flesh from drying, by creating an artificial skin (wood glue & soil). The olive oil works as a oily protecting under layer, stimulating the growth of the new bark. So make sure you take a bucket and a 3 or 4" brush with you!:D

RBTCO

keithkarl2007
30th December 2008, 01:07 AM
i'd safely say its about 3' high 3' wide and protrudes 3' from the tree if not more, i'll bring a measuring tape along with me

robutacion
30th December 2008, 02:12 AM
Wow, that is definitely a big burl.
There was another day someone posting on this forum the removal of a very large burl also, but I can't remember who, maybe if you do a search something will come up it was a good example of what to do also.

This next few pics are from my mate Sawchain, he's got lots of experience with removing large burls, and he explains how its done! I will not mind me showing them...!

RBTCO

robutacion
5th January 2009, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone,

That my olive bowl turned out of that green root "lump", has had the 6 coats of the Fungishield (1 per day), and is now drying very quickly, I may say...!:oo: I become out of round after the last stabilizer coat but, I notice something very interesting...!:q

When I first started turning that lump, was no visible signs of cracks, as the timber was green, and was cut recently from the root. I rough it out in one go (evening), when I decided to fill the big voids/soft bark/hole with 2 part epoxy (araldite type) and some shavings, and let it dry overnight while on the lathe. When I cut the base/chuck recess, were no cracks at all, nor any cracks of any nature anywhere in that piece, that evening but, when I returned the next evening (hot during the day) to remove the excessive glue and give it another light cut all over, I notice some cracks forming at the lip edge of the bowl, reminding me that I should have finished what I was doing and give it a coat of stabiliser, that same evening. When I removed the bowl from the chuck and turn it, I've seen also a couple of long nasty cracks (not through) at the recess point area, moving out-wards! Again, all of that happen in the 20 hours or so, the bowl was mounted in the lathe's chuck. Most of the times, when this happen, the cracks continue growing as the timber loses moisture (dries), and is not a lot that can be done to stop them, sometimes. My first thought, when I saw that, was to try to stop the cracks growing further but, green timbers and glues are normally a bad combination, but I've fill them with thin CA, until it will soak no more. Obviously, the "gluing/filling" had to be done and let dry before I would coat it with Fungishield, which I did. Being green timber and very dense the olive wood, the soaking process of the stabilizer was slower and less evident. I've checked every time (day) I would give it a new coat of stab., for any extra movement of those cracks, and surprisingly, they have not moved since (so far...!:doh:). The bowl has been on the "work bench vise" for a few days now, giving it a little bit of adjustment every day (haven't move much so far!).

So, the moral of this story, (so far...!:D) is, if green turning, start and finish the piece in one go and coat it (seal, etc.) IMMEDIATELY!!! . "it will be alright, mate!" on these situations, doesn't work...!:no:

What's going to happen to it in a few days/weeks/months? I don't really know for sure but, stopping those cracks after they appeared, was strangely good, after all, we are talking about olive timber, huh?:roll:

RBTCO

robutacion
10th January 2009, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on this last olive root lump I've turned. The bowl is no longer on the vise, and these last few days and as it is drying, is forming lots of "lumps" and "corrugation" type forms all around the bowl. This is in part due to the "curly" grain on this piece, very much like a burl type. I have the feeling, from hand handling this piece that the wood become "rubbery" and some how pliable. I'm also getting the evidence of what I always though about the capabilities of the Fungishield to penetrate the timber and "lubricate" the fibres, making it softer, therefore less prone to cracking. This has been seen and experienced on nearly every piece I use this product as a timber stabiliser, regardless of timber species. This was the first time I coated a green piece (olive wood in this case) with 6 consecutive "generous" coats, (1 per day), and this has gave me a good indication that actually the product does soften the timber tissues and if used to timber "saturation" point, the timber become softer and therefore "unable/difficult" to crack. This piece has incredibly, shown no other signs of cracks appart from those started from my mistake of leaving the piece unfinished on the lathe overnight. Green olive wood from burl type from the root, not cracking everywhere after disturbed (turned) is something rare, reason why most people wait many, many years before they touch/turn olive. This is a interesting test, and my next step is to use the Fungishield (100% - straight first, diluted maybe later) as the soaking liquid, instead of the liquid detergent or metho or others. I shall report the results...!

I have also manage to get the last trailer load of the olive timber I cut from this spot, yesterday. Has been a many trip event to get all that wood on a small 6x4 trailer. I am not sure when those roots are going to be pulled of the ground but, I will most certainly wait (maybe a year) with lots of expectation to see that larger root totally exposed and of the ground. The amount of wood on it from the ground level up is just phenomenal, I wonder how much of it is buried? yeah...!:doh::o:D
I can't wait...:((

RBTCO

robutacion
23rd January 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this sounds a bit repetitive but indeed, there are never 2 trees the same. I got a call yesterday from the fellow (property owner) where I got my last lot (actually, lots of) olive timber, asking me if I could see him today at the property, with the chainsaw and trailer! he only said, "some branches had to come down...!":?

When I got there this morning with all my gear, he took me to the most precious spot in the whole property, the horse paddock:oo:. This family are all horse mad, the wife and 2 daughters go everywhere with them, shows, races, etc. In the middle of this paddock are a number of olive trees (sisters of those I remove recently), forming a nice shaded area, like a big mushroom, very dark and very cool, where the very expensive horses (6) rest, and spend lots of time, mainly in summer time. This "big umbrella" or "tree pocket" was never to be touched, there is, the trees were never going to be cut or even trimmed, as this was the horses "paradise", according to the owner! All this was a no go for me and my machines (chainsaws) until today so, what did change? Well, one of the horses cut his eye (lost it, blind) on one of the sharp dry overhang branches, on that magic umbrella...!:no: so, "those all going to come down", said the owner, in a very upset tone...!:((. "No more trees" he said, "WE are going to build a tin shed for them...!" I replied, "WE?", he said, "well, the shed is going to cost me money so, you either help to built it, or you pay for the olive trees...!":o

I had no choice, he got me by the "Berkie's", first because he knows very well how much I want those trees, secondly, I haven't have another $1,000 to give him, and thirdly, it would be no shortage of fellows paying good money for these particular olive trees. I got some very decent log sizes out of the other lot, but look at these olive trees size (diameter and length) and condition (not hollow) pics bellow. When was the last time you have seen an Olive tree, giving a log diameter of 2' x 3 meters long times 3, and another log that will go 3' diameter x 2 meters long, straight(ish) and solid?:q, plus much, much more...!:wink:, Would you say no?

Anyway, we made an agreement (again..!:doh:), I would cut and take away today, 2 of the low branches (one where the horse got hurt), and that would fill the trailer up "pay for the trip" he said...!, he's going to order a farm 3 side tin shed kit (size?) and when he gets it all ready in the paddock, I will cut everything down and take it away, including the roots, as the horse shed is going to be built exactly where these trees are standing:~. I reckon, 2 weeks to built the shed after the ground is levelled and compacted down:-! Oh, my poor back...!:C.

The things I do for timber...!

RBTCO

artme
23rd January 2009, 07:08 PM
:oo::oo: This sounds like using a sledge hammer to kill a flea!

I just hate to see trees cut down if it is avoidable

Bloody hell, surely a judicious trimming at least once a year and an occasional heavier pruning would do the job and keep the horses happy, cool and free from injury.

No shed would ever be as coolas a grove of trees for those neddies.

Good luck to you RBTC on a score of beautiful timber.

robutacion
23rd January 2009, 11:40 PM
:oo::oo: This sounds like using a sledge hammer to kill a flea!

I just hate to see trees cut down if it is avoidable

Bloody hell, surely a judicious trimming at least once a year and an occasional heavier pruning would do the job and keep the horses happy, cool and free from injury.

No shed would ever be as coolas a grove of trees for those neddies.

Good luck to you RBTC on a score of beautiful timber.

Yeah, I tent to agree with you artme.
I remember a few years ago, to have made that exact recommendation to him, which he replied saying that the horses would keep them trim. Not with olive trees, they don't...!:no:. I believe, his decision was also "pushed" by the wife that keeps getting scratched every time she goes under, and that is a "no-no" for her very expensive skin beauty treatments, (no criticism intended, just a true observation). So, I know that the easy access horse shed issue, has been discussed before.
He is just to damn upset with the trees, and for me going to remind him of "I told you so", isn't going to help anyone. Regardless if I want the timber or not, he has made his decision to have them down, and if I don't do it, someone happily will...!:~

On the other hand, I would prefer not to cut any more timber until next winter, giving a little brake from these last 8 months of handling heavy lifting work for now and allow me time and energy for some serious turning sessions!:D The job of cutting and removing (clearing/cleaning) that area is a good couple of weeks for me and poor wife, plus another 2 weeks to built the shed, with about 80km round trip each day.:-

I will try to convince him to wait a few months (maybe 4 or 5) but, the way I saw him today, I doubt!:no:

Gees, one minute is a draught, the next minute is pouring...!:C

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
24th January 2009, 12:44 AM
OK RBTCO....now you've got me "officially" jealous:~

...you've been hauling a hell of a lot of wood lately:doh::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
24th January 2009, 01:43 AM
OK RBTCO....now you've got me "officially" jealous:~

...you've been hauling a hell of a lot of wood lately:doh::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I'm glad you like the timber, and you appear to appreciate the effort, time and money, we have invested for a little while.

My policy is, the more and better woods I get, the more and better woods will be available to anyone that is interested. I can very much appreciate/understand the pain of big expense of having timbers sent/posted around, with a bit of a extra cost to overseas. There is not to difficult to have timber approved to export (just a few simple rules, no bark, etc.), would you like me to find out how much, lets say a 20kg box of wood will cost to you? the olive I charge about $2.50 p/kilo maximum, so is not the wood the bigger expense!

I will select logs that will weight about 25kg, as this is the limit I have for freight charges quoted inside Australia for $44.00 delivered to anyones door in Oz.

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
24th January 2009, 01:30 PM
Sending PM to you RBTCO

robutacion
14th February 2009, 02:15 AM
Hi everyone,

After all that heat wave (13 days) we had recently, I finally got some cool weather and some energy (sort of) the get the olive wood a bit more organized and stacked-up in some sort of order. I only left the really big logs on the ground (where they were all pilled, when brought to the paddock), as I want to slab then soon so, I've only painted the ends on them and didn't attempt to stack them, due to the weight.
Anyway, 2 days (not full days, no chance...!), my wife Merissa and I, we got all the olive and some other pieces of various species, stacked, organized and painted. There is about 1 cubic meter of olive that is dry as a bone, of all sizes, as there were a few branches (same quite large) that have been broken for many years. I could also see that the larger logs have cracked excessively at the ends due to the extreme heat we had. Unfortunately, I had no chance to get them out of the weather and sealed before those hot days, and I can say from what I've seen, some cracks are just too deep for the paint to stop them and that, on most logs, 2" to 3" from each end are already unusable and as dried hard as a rock from the heat. For now, and after painted, they are going to be left like that, I will need to cut a fresh slice and re-seal both ends, on those logs that need to send away. Unfortunately, those off-cuts (slices) wouldn't be any good for firewood, (which I use plenty!), just because they are painted, damn:((

I have no pics from the last work done at the storage paddock, sorry I forgot the camera both times but I've got some pics from some olive pieces that I took home for cutting into blanks today. I did also cut into blanks, a couple of other timber pieces I had in the shed (dried silver wattle and some willow).

I took also particular attention, to some of the colours on some of the freshelly cut blanks, cracks...? what cracks...?:~

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
14th February 2009, 06:04 AM
...now that is highly figured wood!!!! Should get some beautiful bowls from them:2tsup: ...shame about cracks and checks.

NeilS
14th February 2009, 01:34 PM
That olive sure has some nice colour/figure there George.

Good luck with completing their seasoning.

Neil

robutacion
15th February 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks gents,

I am going to turn all these last green olive blanks (10), in one go as I'm realizing I do better with green timbers then to try to have them dry before turning. I also prefer to turn green wood, easier on the tools, lathe and no dust. I also like the idea of rough turning a few blanks (a dozen or so), apply stabilizer and put them a site for a little while, this way, 70% of the mess (shavings) is done all in one go, allowing more pieces to be stored in the safe area (drying shelves) with the really bad (temperamental and self minded) pieces standing up clearly for the firewood pile, before any more time, effort and expense, is put into it, not that I give up that easy, tough...! :no:

I got 3 already on the stabilizer, and they look stunning, not to mention the very strong smell but nice, from the green olive wood, oh yeah...!
I'm glad that I got all those tungsten tipped gauges made not long ago, gees do they cut into some wood or what...! :o The bowl gauges are "producing" long, thick curls, more like thick spaggetty really..! :q

I went to the paddock also today, stacking the dry lot of olive I had put a site and while there, I attempted to weigh some green logs, just to have an idea of how big/small they have to be to be around the 25kg. Obviously, most of my medium logs with a decent diameter, are well over that, more like double, just as a example the one on pic-1 is 30kg (1' x 1' 1/2 long, approx.). Some of the ones I left on the ground for slabbing, will be over 150kg or even more...! :(

Is lots of small diameters for handles up to 5" or 6" diameter and about 3' to 4' long, as this is my preferred cutting and stacking size. I was thinking originally in cutting some logs a couple of inches longer than their diameter, some even split/slice them in half (water melon type) and seal them with proper wax, so that I could take some pics for people to see the grain before they would or not decide to order some but, I still haven't the wax and with the hot weather predicted, I wasn't going to expose any other surfaces and even then, the only thing I could do to slow the cracking, was to paint the ends with a good acrylic exterior paint. The proper wax makes viewing the timber grain not only possible but, will give a closer look to how the timber will look like after finished (generally speaking...!). I'm not sure from whom I should source the wax from, and I remember, a year or so ago, one of our forum products suppliers, did had some quantity for a cheaper price due to some transportation/importation "melting" problems, I believe, I can't recall who but, if anyone can recommend where I can find some at a reasonable, please let me know!

As I mention previously, I have some dry olive, particularly 3 logs part of a large branch that was cut and left hanging (feel over other large branches), for over 10 years (according to the person who did it, the owner). This logs lost the bark long ago and are really dry, rare find (size) and has been drying for 10 years, without me knowing, actually make it 7 years, as I waited 3 years to get my hands on them...! :D Anyway, I was looking at them today (pic 2 & 3) and I've though about the weight of these pieces, as been dry, they would weigh a lot less than green, about at least 1/3 less, I reckon!. The smallest of the three is 19kg and the next one is 30kg, the biggest piece I didn't weight but it will go 50kg or more!

I though particularly of Ed Reiss, who is overseas and I know, he would love to put is hands on some olive, wouldn't you, mate? :; One of the problems with timbers like olive, is its heavy weight, mainly green, when they need to the freighted somewhere, just too expensive...!
I promised to Ed that I would find out the cost of the 25kg "debarked" log, sent to him, and I did mate but,m I'm not going to even mention it, in case of someone end-up with a heart attack! :oo: In any case, I feel a bit more comfortable with the idea of making a smaller parcel (maybe half or so) with the dry olive, this way, is twice as much timber, ready to go.

It goes without saying, the same offer does apply to anyone else in the forum, that is not a local (pick-up not possible), fair enough?

Well, time to stop for now, enjoy the pics...!

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
16th February 2009, 04:51 AM
I kinda' thought the the postage $$$ would be on the "outrageous" side, ...thanks for checking George :U

...from the looks of it, your set for making bowls for a long time to come. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished product(s)...and yes, I'm still green with envy!!!!:q:D

robutacion
16th February 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Ed,

Well, I think you should know about the freight costs, if anything else, it will satisfy the curiosity.

OK, not a 25kg but a 20kg (maximum allowed), freight costs only, if there are any importation duties an fees from customs, they are not accounted for.

Air freight - about AU$350
Sea freight (can take up to 3 months, sometimes) - About AU$175

That smaller dry log (19kg) on pic 2 above, would cost you $50 for the log + $175 sea freight + $10 packaging (some insulating material for protecting from extreme temperature variations experience in the boat, possibly?)

So, if there aren't any other hidden costs involved, that 19kg dry log of olive wood on pic-2&3 above, would cost you AUD$235 or USD$154, approx.

Gees..., how desperate are you? or, how much do you want olive wood? hey, if money is no problems, who cares about cost, huh? do you want the 3 logs? I will send them to you, no "problemos":doh::D

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
17th February 2009, 05:01 AM
...it's a "tempting" offer George, but, if I did send you a check anywhere near that amount of money, the LOML would be filing a life insurance claim pretty near afterwards:mad3:...get the "drift"???

robutacion
17th February 2009, 12:42 PM
...it's a "tempting" offer George, but, if I did send you a check anywhere near that amount of money, the LOML would be filing a life insurance claim pretty near afterwards:mad3:...get the "drift"???

Hahahahah Ed, yes I know what you mean...!:o

This was done as an example exercise, for many of forumates out there, have an idea of how costly freighting timber can be, unfortunately...!

Is not the cost of the timber normally, at $2.50 a kilo for what it is, I believe reasonable, even tough the local guys don't seem to be interested. Some will have a considerable distance to cover (maybe 200km round trip) most would be half than that or so but is not a lot of money spare among us, and I understand that. Sometimes, when I have a fair bit of timber to cut and transport, I would wish that I would make some timber sales, to assist us with the new expense involved with the new timber lot but, after is all done and paid for, I don't care as much if I sell or not, until I get to the next lot...! like a vicious circle, huh? Is nice to look around and see all that timber that is not only available to me, but I actually own it, we have work hard enough to own that right. Now, is 2 aspects needs considering, do I want to fill the paddock? no I don't, my original intention was to have a place big enough to store timber that I can't store at home (space limitation), have as much variety (timber species) I can find, but not too much of anything. This would become a lot easier if timbers rotate, there is, some come come in, some go out, keeping the piles (stacks) lower and smaller (easy to handle). A large percentage of timbers I collect, I saved them just in time (sometimes) from the being burn, as is most cases when I found those timbers they are already pilled up for burning, making the job of recovery without any heavy equipment, very dangerous and difficult. The bringing in timbers to be paddock is only go to stop, when I become unable to move completely, I've got no intentions to let any sort of timber being burn or mulched, even if I don't need it or have already too much of it! Confronted with this reality, I would like to thing that, I'm going to be able to find some other treasures, I need to believe that, that is what keeps me going, mentally and physically. Now, please don't say any of this to my doctor, otherwise he will reduce the pain killers (opium based) and them I will be in big troubles...:D

Some people go out fishing...! I go out hunting... (wood:;)!

RBTCO

robutacion
6th May 2009, 04:49 AM
Hi peoples,

This thread has been a sleep, but certainly not the olive wood. This timber has been cut in all sorts of sizes shapes and forms, some are already finished items, some by me, many others by someone else, bowls, platers, pens, key rings, etc, etc. Just ask Eliza, she done a few...!

Anyway, this bigger log I decided to mill, for a request to get a 2" slab out of it. Now after I cut is in slabs, and seen what I've got there, I don't feel like I want to cut it in bowl blanks, and spoil the length/width as a flat board. One slab is already sold, I will keep also one so, if you you got a special project that would require this type of special timber and slab size 1000++ x 400 --mm x 4" but can be cut into thiner boards if necessary! What you're reckon? got some "do" spare?:wink::D

RBTCO

BobL
6th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Good looking stuff. Love the grain. Can't wait to get stuck into mine - only blocks unfortunately.

robutacion
6th May 2009, 01:42 PM
Good looking stuff. Love the grain. Can't wait to get stuck into mine - only blocks unfortunately.

Why is that BobL?
Someone cut the trees into firewood logs?
Yeah, you're right, this timber is something, alright. If it was any doubt about this timber being old or not, anyone that knows olive, will know that at least "1 century" was needed for nature to make this product, indeed just over 160 years according to the property owner (about 1850).

RBTCO