PDA

View Full Version : Highlights of 2008?

rsser
23rd December 2008, 12:52 PM
Well another year is drawing to a close.

I'd like to thank Neil, and the mods for their generous support of the forum and of our progress as turners.

Despite the grim economic times, as turners we're lucky with the natural and social gifts afforded us.

A find of wood on a nature strip or roadside. Just-in-time advice from a forum member. The comradeship and learning at a turnfest.

What were the highlights of the year for you?

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2008, 01:14 PM
As this year nears to closure and the New Year eagerly awaits to break open it is perhaps time to reflect upon the past and consider the possible outcomes (good and bad) of the forthcoming year. In particular it is a time for us to be thankful for the treasured friendships that we have established amongst family and valuable friends.
May you all enjoy this festive season and have a warm and Merry Christmas and Jolly, Jolly Happy New Year.
Our warmest best wishes and kind thoughts go to you all.

Most important is to remember that Our Lord Jesus is the Reason for the Season.

Ed & Anna

rsser
23rd December 2008, 02:15 PM
Er, well there is Hanukkah too, so happy Hanukkah folks. And for our Muslim friends and colleagues, we might want to join them in honouring the prophet Jesus.

But this is not a Xmas thread but an old year's reflection. So back on topic ...

hughie
23rd December 2008, 03:32 PM
Hmm yes there have been some ups and downs. New ideas on tools and the ensuing debate.

Not knowing the numbers but we seemed to have grown in members which is healthy and through that the whole forum has been enriched.

On reflection there has been much wisdom dispenced along with some great help and with some great humour from all parts of the globe. Through this, this forum has made and continues to make a significant contribution in the lives of many.

:2tsup:

Mulgabill
23rd December 2008, 03:57 PM
Well as for 2008, my personal highlight would be two successful exhibition and sales events with the Phoenix - Macedon Ranges Art & Craft group here in Victoria. I was apprehensive at first about the level of my turning, however, the sales I had soon put my fears to rest.

For 2009, firstly I would like more shed time (don't we all) and secondly maybe an entry in the Australian Woodturning Exhibition in June.

May 2009 be a better year to everyone.

Old farmer
23rd December 2008, 04:09 PM
To reply to rsser's question, I have had a number of highlights to this year but one is, certainly, discoveriing this forum.

Thanks to all for the camaraderie, the wonderful pics and hints and, not least, the odd chuckle.

lubbing5cherubs
23rd December 2008, 04:31 PM
for me it was getting my ornamental lathe after a long time wanting one. it felt so great to get it here
bye Toni

munruben
23rd December 2008, 05:33 PM
To reply to rsser's question, I have had a number of highlights to this year but one is, certainly, discoveriing this forum.

Thanks to all for the camaraderie, the wonderful pics and hints and, not least, the odd chuckle.Goodonya O f:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2008, 05:53 PM
Highlights?

:sad3:

:hmmm:

:think:

:shrug:

The year has gone by so fast there hasn't been any time for highlights!

I could've sworn we only celebrated the new millenienium a mere month or two ago...

Gra
23rd December 2008, 06:21 PM
Highlights?

:sad3:

:hmmm:

:think:

:shrug:

The year has gone by so fast there hasn't been any time for highlights!

I could've sworn we only celebrated the new millenienium a mere month or two ago...

not even a mention of choc ripple cake?:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2008, 06:47 PM
not even a mention of choc ripple cake?:D:D

Highlights only happen when cameras aren't about. :;

Tony Morton
23rd December 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi All

Its just over a year since we moved in new house shed with landscaping etc and jobs for inside and some time of with ticker troubles all ok now. Havnt had much time on the lathe but have some timber just waiting to be delt with so with a bit of luck 09 will see some time with the Stubby and I will try to work out how to post pictures . Any way a Merry Christmass to all and a prosporus New Year.

Cheers Tony

Robomanic
23rd December 2008, 10:23 PM
At the risk of being run out of town I will add my little story. I was down at Carbatec today purely as an adviser, and noticed some machines on special out the front. One box had a couple of big stickers "FREE" on it so I wandered over. Low and behold it was a 10" planer/thicknesser :oo: "Unkown condition" written on the side but who cares... So I got my brother to stand guard and headed inside. Sure enough - FREE so I loaded it in the car just as quick as you can say Hernia.

Got it home and sure enough couple of bits missing but nothing that can't be fabricated. found a miss-aligned safety switch and it fired up no worries. Perfect working order :o.

Topped my year of nicely and I am felling very thankful indeed :U

AUSSIE
23rd December 2008, 10:52 PM
Shannon
Did You Get Your Prize Yet
Aussie

powderpost
23rd December 2008, 10:52 PM
The highlights of this year have been a month in Canada and U.S.A., getting to the end of it safely and reasonably good health, meeting and making some new friends.
While I am at it, I hope that every one enjoys a satisfying and safe Christmas break and a fulfilling new year.
Jim

Robomanic
23rd December 2008, 10:56 PM
Shannon
Did You Get Your Prize Yet
Aussie

Nope - I might have to give weisyboy another reminder

BobL
24th December 2008, 12:08 AM
My highlight was I finally gave up and got a small lathe. Although it featured strongly, I did a bit of other stuff as well!
All the best for the festive season.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=92184&stc=1&d=1230037640

OGYT
24th December 2008, 02:17 AM
I can't even begin to pick a highlight for the year. Too many things I have learned from this forum to mention just one. This forum, and all it's contributors are the highlights of the year for me. I also must mention that getting to test a new tool by our Hughie was a highlight, too. :D
My grateful thanks and best wishes to all of you!! My your 2009 be even better!

Ed Reiss
24th December 2008, 05:15 AM
But this is not a Xmas thread but an old year's reflection. So back on topic ...

Must have been the Aussie - American language barrier thing at work:doh:

So, back on topic ...this past year has been a rejuvenation, both in spirit and physical health for me, after getting the neuro-stimulator implant late in '07. The device has diminished the pain in my left leg, arm, and back by about 85%, permitting me to return to the lathe after a 7 year absence.

Participated in one gallery exhibit called "Beneath the Bark" with four turnings ...it was terrific to get back into the "swing" of things (no pun intended)!

This forum and you all have been great fun and I've gained a new perspective of life in Australia.

Hopefully we'll all get through the tough economy swiftly and look forward to a great 2009 and beyond.:U

Grumpy John
24th December 2008, 06:48 AM
'08 hasn't exactly been my "annus horribilis", but I've had better. The one thing I've been able to count on is the support and comradeship offered on these pages. To each and all I wish you a very merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year. :wmann3::partysmiley:

Tony Morton
24th December 2008, 08:40 AM
Hi All

Forgot the most important thing I AM NOW IN RETIREMENT.

Cheers Tony

rsser
24th December 2008, 09:06 AM
Bravo.

I decided to quit after salary sacrifcing into a super fund that was going backwards :(( ... when you put your pay into pokies it's called gambling; when you put it into super fund shares it's called capitalism :rolleyes:

BazzaDLB
24th December 2008, 10:12 AM
Hi all and Season Greetings,

The biggest highlight for me would have to have been having one of our sons and his wife return to Australia after years living overseas.

And to add to that, they told us yesterday that they are looking at purchasing a house a few hours north of Brisbane.

It has been one of the best things to happen to me in many years.

wheelinround
24th December 2008, 11:58 AM
As 2008 hasn't ended yet I'll hold off for a bit on whats tops

2008 has had many sad parts

But during the year connecting with so many forumites :2tsup:

Watching the LOML's smile while turning and her bigger smile with the finished product :D

birth of another grandson :D:D

rsser
24th December 2008, 01:25 PM
Watching the LOML's smile while turning ....

Desperate for wood up there wheelin?

steck
24th December 2008, 01:35 PM
2008 was a great year for me!
I retired in January, did a wood turning course with Vic Wood in February, bought a lathe in March, Toured the Canning Stock Route in May/ June.
I have been turning lots round things and learning heaps.
And to top it off, I am not dead yet!
Won't mention what the stock market did to my super! (blast - I just mentioned it!)

Gil Jones
24th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Bunny and I are still healthy, though a bit older. Between our two children there are now 5 healthy Grandkiddies. The new lathe is behaving well, and turning wood grows on trees around these parts. Other than EEE changing its name, what more could I hope for.
I reckon all was well in 2008.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2008, 03:48 PM
A last minute highlight: Prize Draw #52 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=85461) :woot:

rsser
24th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Couldn't have gone to a nicer bloke. Happy Xmas!

new_guy90
24th December 2008, 05:16 PM
i just want to say that in the short time i have been here i have found everyone very friendly and helpful, and that i would like to thank the forum administrators with out them we wouldn't have this nice place to share thoughts on our interests :2tsup:

and thanks everyone the help you have given me over the last months to help me get started in wood turning (thats my wood turning highlight of the year) :2tsup:oh and all the guys at the Ipswich wood work group for teaching my to turn its been a real joy

2008 is drawing to a close, 2009 is going to great :U happy holidays

Patrick

Andy Mac
24th December 2008, 05:47 PM
Its been a funny year for me, had a full-on job as house-husband looking after my 4yr old boy, plus the two girls in school. We had some good times, slacking off really! Trips to the parks, or nearby towns finding their bike parks and kid friendly shops, bakeries with mini meat pies...it all adds up! My wife had a go at running a small business, and she managed to keep the wolf from the door, and got a lot out of it, personally. Back to the real world come February!
Shed time was completely limited because of that, in fact its a mess and I can hardly bare to step into it. Highlights from that end would be the Bagatelle game I just made for Xmas (inspired by a thread here), and the spade bit I made to order- love it when something works as planned!
As for the Forum, I was lucky enough to score a lovely fountain pen from Simomatra (thanks Sam), a fine addition to the pencil Cameron Potter made me!:2tsup: And the GTG at Ray's was another good one.

Thanks guys and gals, and ubeaut especially, you all add something to make this place special, so Merry Xmas!!!:D

Evan Pavlidis
24th December 2008, 07:43 PM
This year must be the quickest one gone for me. Highlights? not many, but I got a good feeling when my work was being really noticed and purchased more so than previously. Hope it continues well into 2009 for all.
Thanks forumites for your advice and thanks to ubeaut and his team for having this website running successfully; an absolute wealth of information and inspiration.

All the best,
Evan

Fredo
24th December 2008, 09:07 PM
Taking some prizes at the Canberra Timber and Working with Wood Show Exhibition would be a highlight for me. I still very much enjoy turning when I get the opportunity and I guess that is the most important thing. I don't post a lot but I try to read all the posts and stay up to speed with the forum topics. I particularly enjoy photos of other members turnings.

To the administrators and members thank you and all the best for the coming year.

Fredo :U

wheelinround
25th December 2008, 11:18 AM
Desperate for wood up there wheelin?

:no: LOML has her own stash off cuts from all over donated some by forum members, members of OTGA and Cumberland woodies.:2tsup:

We have a 25ltr bucket full of my own off cuts to use as segmented :doh:

Thats not to say further donations won't be gratefully accepted

Edit 1222hrs
You threw me off rsser :doh:
told you year hadn't ended yet after presents were exchanged as we have a German celebration Christmas eve. Last night son had tried to get our 18mth old grandson to say he wad bigbrother :no::roll: it went over everyones head as we were all still unwrapping presents. My eldest son said yes I'm daddys big brother :rolleyes: I go the drift but stayed silent watching for reactions :no:. Young so then sort of matter of fact we would all have an additional one to buy for next year still :sleep5: then the penny dropped a new :baby: to arrive end of May 2009.:brava:wave::hpydans2:

TTIT
25th December 2008, 04:57 PM
not even a mention of choc ripple cake?:D:DI'd like to say that finally getting to try some of this famous treat at Ern's was the highlight but things just keep looking up!
As if an award at the Orbost Exhibition wasn't a good enough way to top off the year, I've just spent a couple of days with an old friend in Ballarat that looks like changing my future very much for the better. Feelin' like a black-headed python with a belly-full of bandicoot at the moment :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

MERRY XMAS TO ALL YOU LOT and hope to catch up with a few in the New Year!

:UCHEERS:U

rsser
25th December 2008, 05:05 PM
Good news wheelin. Congrats!

Yeah, Xmas lunch round here is a highlight. 88 year old Mum, my two boys and daughter (all grown up, whatever that means). We don't often get together.

LOML loves cooking ... we had boned stuffed roast duck, baked pots and salad. Followed by trad Xmas pud with brandy butter. There's Xmas cake in the pantry, mince pies, shortbread and 'American Xmas cake'.

Tears at the heartstrings ... the family, not the food, though maybe that too in time :rolleyes:

rsser
25th December 2008, 05:06 PM
Ah, Vern, nice work mate! On both fronts :wink:

tea lady
25th December 2008, 05:21 PM
My highlight? :hmm: I've had this very enjoyable learning curve on the lathe. Still on the upward path, but no wish to get off. A new job to go to mid January. (Got through the Forum. Remember that " Wanted" add I put up? Well someone contacted me.:cool:) Lots of freinds on here. Opening new doors. Looking forward to next year! :2tsup:

munruben
26th December 2008, 09:33 AM
The year went so fast, Highlights? actually meeting face to face several forumites and receiving great help from them., Sam, Barry, David and Arthur. Going to the Brisbane wood show was also a great time, again meeting some of my fellow forumites. Finally getting a lathe, still learning. Also something I will treasure for all time was receiving a beautiful gift from Ray (Wheelinround) Also received some lovely pics from AUSSIE of his car. I have been so lucky to meet and talk to such lovely people.
Not a bad year but it went too fast.

wheelinround
26th December 2008, 11:09 AM
the year went so fast, highlights? Actually meeting face to face several forumites and receiving great help from them., sam, barry, david and arthur. Going to the brisbane wood show was also a great time, again meeting some of my fellow forumites. Finally getting a lathe, still learning. Also something i will treasure for all time was receiving a beautiful gift from ray (wheelinround) also received some lovely pics from aussie of his car. I have been so lucky to meet and talk to such lovely people.
Not a bad year but it went too fast.

:b

robyn2839
26th December 2008, 12:43 PM
my highlight of 2008 was my trip to tassie and catching up with a couple of woodies and their wives,( ravlord,reeves) they made me feel welcome, and i thoroughly loved the place, have nagged so much to sell up and move to tassie that i am not even allowed to say the word (Tasmania) in the house ever again,or suffer dire consequences..oh well she didnt say anything about typing tasmania.......bob

skot
26th December 2008, 02:11 PM
My biggest highlight on the turning front was being able to puchase a VL175 - 2nd hand but in perfect condition with outboard rig and selection of 16 chisels ...all in perfect condition at a great price.

AUSSIE
26th December 2008, 03:20 PM
OH K- OH K
I may as well join in.
My biggest thrill was going to the Red Bull Air Race in Perth
It was one off lifes big experiances.Could not be bettered.
Meeting David at Perth Wood School Was also a big thrill.
He helped me through the year and supplied me Jarrah as well.
I would have liked to spend more time with him and meat some more woodys .I just missed some by a week I think.
Also Munruben ( JOHN) He Kept me going with my car project.He doesn't know it but I may have stopped it if it wasn't for him (and have become good friends) and a couple off other guys supporting me.
It was too dig a project for me at the time.Thanks Guys
OH :Uone for Stu .I got some cheap tools thanks to Stu.
Happy new year to all forumites:2tsup::mods::sorry2:
and to an admin. I will be back :negrep:

dai sensei
26th December 2008, 08:48 PM
My highlight was taking time off to travel to Melbourne, Hobart, Toowoomba and Perth visitting other forumites at numerous BBQs. Also had a trip to FIJI that was just icing on the cake :2tsup:

nalmo
26th December 2008, 10:21 PM
My highlight of the year was today in the operating theatre, as I was just about to be anaesthitised for the removal of a kidney stone, when a nurse rushed in with the results of a CT scan that the stone had either broken up, or passed (or should that be ) on it's own.

Other than that, taking up turning has been absolutely great for me, with a gradual learning curve assisted in no small way by the information provided by the members of this forum and the regular get togethers.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wish you a safe and Happy New Year!

Robomanic
30th December 2008, 09:39 AM
I know I posted earlier but the reality is that there are many higher highs than that this year (and the initial disbelief has worn off a bit too, putting things back in perspective).

Top three

1 - Getting back into turning (and cabinetry) after getting settled in our house and getting the workshop setup again after a long absence while at Uni since moving off the farm and coming to Melbourne.

2 - Picking up a very cheap and repairable mc1100 off this very forum which my dad is now using. He has taken to it like a little kid and we have had a lot of fun together. (That 5min gouge was for him remember :q)

3 - Getting out of my comfort zone and getting together with great forumites at the gtg's. Such a wealth of knowledge that is kindly and patiently distributed is a real tribute to this forum, its Mod's and the members.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and all the best in the New Year!

Allan at Wallan
30th December 2008, 10:04 AM
I have no real highlight/s other than the joy of waking
up each morning and tossing up what to do for the day.

Sometimes it is heading for the shed to make another
"creation", visiting friends (including fellow woodies),
going to either of my woodturning groups, taking off with
the car and caravan or just sitting around watching tele.

I love the friendship and banter, the jokes, the information
and benefits derived from the forum. Long may it last.

Allan

Sawdust Maker
31st December 2008, 02:32 PM
2008 went pretty quickly for me, is it really the end of the year today? Fireworks with the kids tonight :U
Highpoints

Time on the lathe or in the shed (low point SWMBO complaining about becoming a lathe widow :o)
Meeting fellow forumites for the great Jarrah heist, thanks marginata (what do you get when you put forumites through the spellchecker :p)
Participating in the 'pens for the troops' (reminder to self - do some more)
Selling some work :)
Swapping pen blanks with NL88
Getting the benefit of everyone's collective wisdom either to my own somewhat ill-conceived questions or as a by product of others questions. The freely imparted knowledge and wisdom (and wit :D) is what makes this forum so absolutely fantastic :2tsup:

So to all forumites, mods and the Benevolent Dictator may your xmas break be an enjoyable one and may 2009 be especially kind to you and yours

Cheers

Nick

wheelinround
31st December 2008, 02:35 PM
I also have posted before.

During this year I was suffering badly with depression thanks goes to this forum and members (many whom don't even know they kept me going) Munruben, Fletty, Pat, Dingo, Allan from Wallen, Wongo, thanks for the support and visits. To a fellow woodie of a club who spent hours on the phone with me or just talking 1 on 1 thanks Bill.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A better year ahead 2009

jefferson
31st December 2008, 03:21 PM
Highlights for 2008? Lots!

Among them were meeting in the flesh members of the board. Two turn-fests, one at DJs, the other at Robbos. I also had visitors, starting with Ern (twice), plus and Calm, with more to follow soon. My thanks to all.

I also finally started turning on my lathe. It had sat in the corner for almost 2 years but now is working. At 3000 rpm I might add after visited.

I bought tools. Lots of them. At last count, 32 turning chisels. Two more to be ordered to complete the set. Some special ones among those too, including a couple that Ern made for me that I am yet to master.

Timber? Another set of acquisitions. Some nice 4 by 4 blanks from Trend Timbers for my little lidded boxes, plus a stack of redgum.

I extended the shed. More room for toys: boats, trailers, fishing gear etc. I just wonder, did I go big enough? Probably not - never enough room in the shed.

But above all, my mental health has improved significantly due to the contact with everyone on the board. My thanks to all and hope 2009 is a good year for all.

Jeff

rsser
31st December 2008, 03:57 PM
Yep, I also appreciate the comradeship that has grown out of the turnfests and the generosity of forum members.

Have learned lots; have some big lumps of interesting timber to maul on the black beast; have had assumptions revised on seeing how other folk skin their cats. Particularly appreciate the golden ratio dividers.

Best wishes to all my forum friends for 2009 :2tsup:

David Mitchell
31st December 2008, 11:56 PM
2008 ,I have enjoyed everything that I have been involved on the Forum,
The Goblet turning,Olive challenge, Box challenge,pen swaps,Pens for the soldiers,Pallet challenge and the Turn Fests meeting other members of the forum:cool:
Thanks to ever one involved, special thanks to Calm for taking me to the Turn fests,I don't think would have made it without his help.:wink:
look forward to 2009 :2tsup::2tsup:
Regards
David

robutacion
1st January 2009, 12:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, I've been looking at this thread for a while, not knowing what to say, really...!
I'm only a few minutes away from the end of 2008, and I'm still not sure how to describe the highlights so, and to make a long (12 months) story short, I'm grateful for the discussions/ideas/opinions exchanged with the forumates, I'm also very thankful for the support I had from some of the forum members, on the purchase of some of my timbers, and the opportunity I had to help the best way I could.
The year of 2008 was a very busy for me and wife, cutting, gathering and handling so much wood but, at the some time, we manage to get lots of open storage space, resolving one of our most needed requirements. We have also endure and survived, a few close calls (mainly myself) so lets hope that we can say the same at the end of 2009...!:D

Best luck to all for 2009

Cheers:2tsup:
George

David Mitchell
1st January 2009, 10:03 PM
2009 has started ,Pen Swap January,:wink:Bowl /Platter Competition March,
April turnfest,:;You turn at Horsham Anzac weekend.Its all happening:B:)
Regards
David:2tsup:

Robomanic
2nd January 2009, 12:27 PM
Don't forget - most of the public holidays are in the first half of the year. We best make the most of them :D.

2009 has started ,Pen Swap January,:wink:Bowl /Platter Competition March,
April turnfest,:;You turn at Horsham Anzac weekend.Its all happening:B:)
Regards
David:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2009, 08:19 PM
Hopefully in 2009 we'll finally get a Sydturn or some other happening for the lathe lovers in this beaut city! :D

rsser
2nd January 2009, 09:15 PM
It's not hard to get one going SM. Just offer a choc ripple cake for morning tea, a lathe to doodle at and you're away.

hughie
2nd January 2009, 10:15 PM
:U As Ern has mentioned its not hard to get off the ground.

As to the year that was, well for me it has been a year of significant personal challenges some of which are on going.....thats life

The forum certaintly has been a place of solace, helping others gets one mind off the near and immediate. :2tsup: thanks for the opportunity

But the long held thoughts of making and selling turning tools became a reality and has been recieved far better that I thought it would, thanks guys :2tsup:

As to this forum, IMHO opinion as a long time and regular net surfer. This forum would one of the best if not the best of it kind.So many thanks to all those who keep it going from moderators to all who have contributed.

so alls well that ends well :U

rsser
3rd January 2009, 02:21 PM
Sure is one of the best of its kind ... at least the WT section.

Good balance between folk willing to answer questions, share their experience and provide advice, and those asking (and esp. acknowledging the help they get).

Dunno how many forums I've joined up where they're clogged with folk asking questions that could easily be answered by a forum search or a Google so that the old hands just drop out.

jefferson
3rd January 2009, 06:51 PM
Ern and Co,

your messages prompt me to again thank all on the forum for all the assistance and encouragement over 2008.

THANKS!

Now, with out of the way, I got "turning" today. With my trusty Ci1 rougher and the scrapers that are now very, very sharp.

It's not "real" turning, as I didn't touch the gouge at all. But it works for me, at least until my turning skills improve.

I just love that EEE and the wax. Brings out the best in figured redgum.

Criticism as always most welcome.

And sorry to hijack the thread, but with 2009 now with us, it's almost dead.

Jeff

rsser
3rd January 2009, 07:05 PM
Yep, forward looking time.

Been reading up on lidded boxes (thanks GJ), to do justice to your beaut bits of exotic 4x4. Thanks again Jeff.

Been practising some spindle moves, and playing around with the Sorby spiralling tool that DJ worked so deftly at a turnfest here.

So much to learn, so little time.

jefferson
3rd January 2009, 08:45 PM
Speaking of GJ, I've forgotten to send the Raffan DVDs!

Sorry, will post them soon. So many favours to return.

Jeff

rsser
6th January 2009, 06:55 PM
New year hauls ..

Got the 5th edition of Forest Trees of Australia ... a gem for tree and wood nerds ;-} Interesting to see how Yewks have been classified and reclassified over time.

Also went out to Quercus' yard in N. Melb and got a couple of useful lumps of English Ash, some challenging looking lengths of Brush Box and a couple of punky bits of Blue Gum (Saligna).

Checked out a camper trailer ... good; lots of space for 'finds'.

Texian
7th January 2009, 04:26 PM
Good thread Ern!

rsser
7th January 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanx Richard :D

OGYT
10th January 2009, 12:36 PM
Robomanic: 2 - Picking up a very cheap and repairable mc1100 off this very forum which my dad is now using. He has taken to it like a little kid and we have had a lot of fun together. (That 5min gouge was for him remember )

Gettin' to turn with your Dad is worth more than a million! Good on ya!!

rsser
10th January 2009, 05:45 PM
Tis indeed!

Tried to get one of my boys interested.

He took to a square-end chisel for planing spindle pieces, square on, which had me cringeing at the far corner of the shed. Did a good job too.

Horses for courses.

Robomanic
10th January 2009, 09:40 PM
He took to a square-end chisel for planing spindle pieces, square on,

How do you think I started :oo: :D Surface finish came later :rolleyes:

Funny story about the lathe actually. Dad was at my place for an unrelated visit and just happened to have the trailer on. I had seen the notice come up earlier that day but had already decided that enough $ had gone out that month. Dad had the asking amount in his pocket and the pickup was about 10min from my house. Too easy really, he got himself a lathe and I missed out on a lot of spare parts :doh:

If I bought a Tatts tickets it would prob give me a paper cut though ...:no:

artme
11th January 2009, 09:50 AM
Been chewing this over for a while. Obviously the trip Os was a highlight but there were several highlights within the trip.

Most pleasurable country visited was Estonia. I think because our hostswere the family of our exchange student from the year before and they went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and "educational".

Most memorable highlight for me personally was the visit to Anzac Cove and the surrounding battle fields; It was all the more significant for me because my grandfather fought there.