PDA

View Full Version : Patented Saw Sharpening Guide

bitingmidge
3rd May 2004, 08:08 PM
My next "mystery" object.

This time I think I know what it is and how it works... No brand name, but it is in aluminium alloy, which I am guessing dates it in the 50's or even 60's.

A saw sharpening guide which can be set for height and clamped to the blade, with the angle guides moving in approximately 70mm range.

If indeed it is a saw sharpening guide, there is no sign of wear on the rollers, or on the angled guides themselves, which leads me to believe that the file was fitted in some sort of carrier. The other conclusion one could draw is that it has never been used...perhaps, but the bodgied nut on the right hand side to replaced the original would indicate that it was kept in somesort of working order.

If anyone can provide more information, I would be incredibly tickled!!

Cheers.

P

fxst
3rd May 2004, 09:27 PM
I think u have it there BM a saw sharpener............now u have me worried I reckon I might go to the shed and label (and date) all me tools so the boy can figure it out in the 30s (or later I hope) :D

bitingmidge
3rd May 2004, 10:54 PM
Labels would have been a big help!

The stuff I am trotting out is at least identifiable...the old bloke was a tinkerer par excellence, and as far as hoarding was concerned....well let's just say that I had to bring myself to throw out a whole jam tin of one-winged wing nuts. (Funny thing about them was that it was only the right hand wing broken off....maybe because the old fella was left handed, and the castings were designed for right handed operation:D :D)

The things that are harder to toss are the bits of bent wire, or plastic with the aluminium triangle pop-rivetted on that once had a purpose now lost forever (or the day after they get tossed out, whichever comes first).

If anyone wants about 200 aluminium rivets anodised pink, I am willing to part with some.

Thanks for the info,

P

redvespa
7th May 2004, 08:36 PM
It is indeed a saw sharpening guide. It's The Fraser Saw Sharpener (for tradesman and amateur) made by C. Homer Fraser of 485 Plenty Rd Preston Vic and cost 19/6 inc Sales Tax.

"Setting of teeth must be done with a conventional setter. The Fraser is a sharpening jig only"

"Cadmium plated all over against rust. N.B. - Plating on rollers will mark with file but don't worry over this"

I have one in the original box with the instructions. No date on it but it must have been before 1966 and my guess is 1950s. I bought it at a second hand shop and planned to sharpen my saws with it - one day....