PDA

View Full Version : Latest off the lathe

Evan Pavlidis
24th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Just completed these yesterday; the largest diameter is 5 inches on the huon bowl. Comments are a necessary requirement :D.
They are huon pine, pinkheart leatherwood and red mallee burl.

Cheers,
Evan

Chipman
24th December 2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Evan,

I like them all but my favourite is the red mallee burl.

Have a great Christmas!

Chipman

thefixer
24th December 2008, 10:23 PM
Yep! Ya gotta love that Mallee Burl. Great design, awesome finish and excellent photography.

Cheers
Shorty

ss_11000
25th December 2008, 12:02 AM
they all look great but that red mallee looks awesome!!!

Ed Reiss
25th December 2008, 12:50 AM
Evan...:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
25th December 2008, 08:14 AM
As ed said------:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:!!!

tea lady
25th December 2008, 11:46 AM
Is the red mallee burl the flatter topped one? My fav' too.:cool: Not that the others are horrid or anything!!:rolleyes: The pink Leatherwood is interesting too. And the huon I would be sad to own too.:D

Texian
25th December 2008, 01:43 PM
Anne-Maria,
Have noticed that when you place your cursor on a picture, sometimes a title with the wood type will appear. The r.m. is definitely best in class. You all (y'all) have some wonderful woods (timbers).

Evan Pavlidis
25th December 2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all your replies people. Anne-Maria the red mallee is the piece with the the bead on the rim on the inner side. As Texian said if you place your mouse pointer over the image, the name of the jpeg is also a description of the species. Thats how I rename all my pics after transferring from the camera.
The pics of the pinkheart leatherwood don't look right, I'll have to reshoot and repost. Sometimes these digital cameras produce pics of objects as they really are and sometimes they have a mind of their own; I'm very much inclined to say the type of lighting plays a major role.

Thanks again,
Evan :)

rsser
25th December 2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, if you're using a dig zoom gotta watch the mag'n. Wide angle does the worst distortion.

tea lady
25th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies people. Anne-Maria the red mallee is the piece with the the bead on the rim on the inner side. As Texian said if you place your mouse pointer over the image, the name of the jpeg is also a description of the species. Thats how I rename all my pics after transferring from the camera.
The pics of the pinkheart leatherwood don't look right, I'll have to reshoot and repost. Sometimes these digital cameras produce pics of objects as they really are and sometimes they have a mind of their own; I'm very much inclined to say the type of lighting plays a major role.

Thanks again,
Evan :)

Thanks for telling me something obvious.:rolleyes: I have troulble with that. Obscure I'm good at.:doh:

For colour correction I use the white balance on the camera. Not all "instants" have it, but I've discovered Hubby's canon does, so even though I don't have a digital SLR at least I can get the colour right. You show the camera something white and it keeps the right balance for that particular lighting. I was having trouble taking shots of stuff in daylight cos it took a blue cast from the sky. But white balance fixes that. Prolly if you take a pic of white with the lighting you have then take the pic you can correct it in the computer cos you then have a referance to calabrate with.

Ad de Crom
25th December 2008, 10:33 PM
I like them all.
Ad :2tsup:

OGYT
27th December 2008, 07:29 AM
What Ad said!
Well done!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th December 2008, 03:33 PM
Beautiful grain in the Pinkheart Leatherwood! I wouldn't have expected such variation. The Red Mallee... well, it's a gorgeous bowl but I've seen a lot of them lately and the WOW factor has been reduced accordingly. :rolleyes:

(I wonder if comp. judges ever feel the same way?)

Lovely work, just the same. :2tsup:

munruben
27th December 2008, 07:44 PM
I like them all too but the Red Malee is something else. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: