PDA

View Full Version : Warts and all

lubbing5cherubs
26th December 2008, 08:48 PM
HI I made this today this my first burl with bark inclusions and I am very impressed with the final effort. I was told this burl was a wasted effort :D Worst mistake but all in all love to hear your thoughts. It is the first time tha ti have ever done this. I finished it with glass coat as I wanted to save the bark inclusion. Not sure if I like the really glossy it is but it does still look nice. What do you think?
bye Toni
PS does anyone recognise what wood it is. My mum got it from a garage sale and they did not know. Can you help me with that too please?
thanks

Pat
26th December 2008, 08:58 PM
Hello Toni, you are brave playing with the burl as I have had several decide to part ways with the face plate at 800 rpm due to bark inclusions and other failure points. Looks good, but i do prefer the matt finish for burls - DO burnished into the wood.

Good to see you having a go and I might have to get one of my fractious burls and try to match you:U

artme
26th December 2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Toni. That was brave of you to take on such a burl.:2tsup::2tsup:

Iagree with pat on the finish bit. Also suggest you take a little more time with your sanding as this helps with any finish.

lubbing5cherubs
26th December 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks Art and Pat but I just looked at the attachments that white on the inside of the photos is not in the bowl it must be off the gloss because I sanded it from 80 right through to micromesh and even tore my micromesh on the the missing bit plus my knuckles. IT is finished beautifully insde the best I have ever done. I sanded for nearly 4 hours to get it right as I thought a piece of wood with this much character needed the best sanding job I could give it.
thanks Toni

OGYT
27th December 2008, 07:27 AM
Truly nice lookin' warts, Toni. :D

Ad de Crom
27th December 2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah Toni, you are very brave, the result is splendid !!
Keep em going girl.
I'm impressed.
Ad :2tsup:

dai sensei
27th December 2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah Toni, you are very brave, the result is splendid !!
Keep em going girl.
I'm impressed.

+1 :2tsup:

artme
27th December 2008, 10:11 AM
Gotcha Toni. Thanks for the Explation.:):)

Sorry about the Knuckles. Bloody hurts doesn't it?

wheelinround
27th December 2008, 11:06 AM
:way2go:

lubbing5cherubs
27th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Gotcha Toni. Thanks for the Explation.:):)

Sorry about the Knuckles. Bloody hurts doesn't it?

yes it does.
bye Toni
ps thanks for the feedback. I think it looks great too. :D

munruben
27th December 2008, 07:48 PM
Very brave to tackle that but good results.:2tsup:

Chipman
27th December 2008, 09:36 PM
Looks nice and worth the effort:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: some pretty large voids there!

I am experimenting with using sandpaper on thick bits of backing rubber, They can be moulded to the shape and saves the fingers. Still need to make sure you angle it away so that it doesn't get caught in the cracks and rips something apart. Also wear your full face shield...I recently got hit in the head when a piece decided to leave the lathe!!!!
Luckily they glued my wound back together with super glue:D

Speaking of super glue, that is what I used to stabilize my last bark inclusion in a piece of yellow box burl.

Nice work,

Chipman

Ed Reiss
27th December 2008, 11:32 PM
:wts::iagree::welldone::2tsup:

Harry72
28th December 2008, 12:04 AM
Brave girl Toni, well done.
Im one of the ones who likes super shiney over satin, its harder to achieve a even shine over the whole piece.