PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy as a filler

masoth
27th December 2008, 10:04 PM
Unless corrected here I plan to use epoxy as a hole filler in 10mm thick hard clear "plastic".
My question is what can I use, that won't adversely react with the epoxy, to create the resevoir? I imagiine sticky tape (Scotch Tape) would leave the gum as a coating on the dry epoxy, and am wondering if kitchen cling wrap is a better option. This "plastic" is see-through and it needs too stay that way.

soth

dj_pnevans
27th December 2008, 10:16 PM
What do you need to fill?
David

masoth
27th December 2008, 10:28 PM
A drilled and counter-sunk hole.

soth

masoth
28th December 2008, 08:07 AM
O.................... K, no comment , so I assume cling wrap will be a user, and so the next question is: how do I introduce the epoxy without developing bubbles?
I'm thinking hypodermic needle. Keeping in mind I want no overflow another question : does epoxy lose volume as it drys eg., will the puddle of epoxy dry with a concave surface?

soth

underfoot
28th December 2008, 08:29 AM
tough one soth, there's plastic and there's plastic
I'll assume it's a clear acrylic (perspex) you've got,
I doubt if you'll find an epoxy clear enough to hide the hole,
my suggest would be to use a (water clear) casting acrylic, (the stuff they use for embedding insects),
and use plasticene to dam up the hole,
also, probably best to overfill then sand and polish,
oh yeah, practice on some scrap

masoth
28th December 2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you Underfoot. "......I'll assume it's a clear acrylic (perspex) ...."
yes I couldn't remember the name.

soth

masoth
31st December 2008, 03:07 PM
Now thinkinig of using home made play doh, which is strong in table salt, as a daming substance - is there likely to be a bad reaction with the epoxy? I don't want it to turn cloudy/milky.

soth

AlexS
31st December 2008, 09:48 PM
I just use hot-melt glue as a dam.

astrid
1st January 2009, 03:25 PM
stick a decorative do dad in the hole:D

BozInOz
3rd January 2009, 06:06 PM
In my experience...

Simple masking tape can be used to 'dam' expoxy. I used this method to plug a bore hole and corner areas.

The shrinkage depends on the setting speed. Slow set epoxy (eg. arlidte structural which sets in 4-6 hours (from memory)) allows time for bubbles to leave all the small areas to be filled and shrinks a lot. Arildite ultra clear (which is rubbish in my opinion) sets in about 5 minutes, doesn't have time to seep into cracks and sets bubbles within it and therefore doesn't shrink as much. I dont like because it doesn't become brittle and can't be planed clean.

Epoxy is great stuff, can take a dye, fill gaps and join joints.

I bought arildite from bunnies and spent a fortune. A mate at teh wood club recommends Whitworths (http://www.whitworths.com.au). Haven't used it but apparently it's good stuff and cheap.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/56002_lg.jpg