PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Quiz For 5/4/04

Ralph Jones
4th May 2004, 07:59 AM
Greetings Again Mates,
I went to the library to see if I could find some information that would help me learn your ways and methods because, I have noticed that to be a good teacher I must first be a good student.
Even at almost 70 I am still willing to learn something new.

I did get some conversion charts that I feel will help me with some of the quizzes.

Todays quiz is about those pegs that they use for pinning the post and beam joints together.They do have a name that is different than just a peg. Can you name them?

This originated from England many years ago. Good luck.

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
4th May 2004, 08:08 AM
Ralph,

Thought I'd get in first this time!

Are you referring to trunnels (from Tree-Nails) often used to hold boats together?

(There were heaps of them in Bass's Cutter!)
:D:D:D

P

journeyman Mick
4th May 2004, 11:43 AM
BTW, in Danish the same word "tree" (same pronunciation as in English) is used for trees and timber. As the vikings settled many parts of the British Isles it may be how the word "treenail" entered our language.

Mick

Tonz
4th May 2004, 01:20 PM
A true timber frame strucure, called "post and beam" by some, is the result of the ancient art of combining large timbers (cants) through mortise & tenon joinery secured with wooden pegs (trenails).

Driver
4th May 2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by journeyman Mick
BTW, in Danish the same word "tree" (same pronunciation as in English) is used for trees and timber. As the vikings settled many parts of the British Isles it may be how the word "treenail" entered our language.

Mick

It probably also explains why the term "treen" is used in the English antiques trade to describe wooden kitchen tools and equipment.

Col

ozwinner
4th May 2004, 06:22 PM
Looks like no one want to play any more. :eek:

Al

Shane Watson
4th May 2004, 07:30 PM
When is someone gunna have a go at the date? Its all wrong!! ;)

Mwahahahah...

Down here as you now no doubt realise we do things different and well that goes for the way we write dates too...we write them - DD/MM/YYYY...... ;)

Cheers!

DavidG
4th May 2004, 08:17 PM
The only way to write the date is

yyyy/mm/dd

That way it always sorts correctly when used in file titles.

Ralph Jones
4th May 2004, 09:55 PM
Good Evening Mates,
By my watch and according to Sydney time it is around 8:46 PM.
Since there is a question as to how the dates should be written I shall go with any one way you blokes desire but you have to make up your minds as to how you want it written.

I am now going to answer todays quiz for 5/4/04. Those pegs as
biting midge pointed out are indeed called trunnels or (tree nails) that the vikings used to hold their ships together as they explored England many many years ago.

Then as time went along they used them in post and beam construction.

Thank you for your support in these quizzes. I will post tomorrows quiz around 4:00 PM my time today so you will have them in the morning by 05:30 or so.

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
4th May 2004, 11:42 PM
"......that the vikings used to hold their ships together as they explored England many many years ago......."
Maate! Think I'll go and explore!
I don't think the people living in English coastal villages (or a lot of other coastal villages) would've used the term "explore" to describe what the vikings were up to:D

Mick

Ralph Jones
5th May 2004, 03:09 AM
Hey Mick,
How does plunder sound? From what I have read about viking history that was their main goal and go home with riches from their work.

Bob Willson
5th May 2004, 05:54 AM
How about rape, pillage plunder and murder sound. They were not nice people. In fact they were the mafiosa of the early years.

RETIRED
7th May 2004, 09:06 PM
To Guest.

We don't entertain Politics on the Forums.

bitingmidge
7th May 2004, 09:58 PM
Oh no!
Was that THE guest?

the one that reads private messages??? (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7763&highlight=guest+reading)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

cheers,

P

8th May 2004, 11:11 PM
Jam it , you had better remove references to Vikings (and all other Scandinavians) and Italians, Sicilians and anyone related to them.
Prat :rolleyes:

RETIRED
8th May 2004, 11:21 PM
Guest, they are documented history and pertain to something that happened years ago. As I said we don't get into politics here.

READ THE RULES.

Bob Willson
9th May 2004, 03:02 AM
READ THE RULES.[/QUOTE]

He who makes the rules .. rules :p :p :p

Ralph Jones
9th May 2004, 03:17 AM
Hello Robo and Robert,
I hope you two don't have any words before you fall out.

Go have a tinnie and then work things out.

Bob Willson
9th May 2004, 12:29 PM
Well I hope so too . :)
We weren't arguing Ralph. Apparently a guest to the board wrote a little spiel about Vikings and censored the whole message. The guest took offense and told to jam it. From the looks of the rest of his message it is just an immature 16 year old practising his obnoxiousness

OK . let's go get that tinnie.
A nice chardonay instead maybe? Hmm?

Hello Robo and Robert,
I hope you two don't have any words before you fall out.

It would be a bit premature to have a falling out BEFORE we have words Ralph :D

Ralph Jones
9th May 2004, 01:19 PM
Hello Robert,
Ah ha, the picture is very clear and believe it or not we have a few of those kind up here in the USA and Canada.

Respectfully, ;)

Sturdee
9th May 2004, 05:10 PM
............believe it or not we have a few of those kind up here in the USA and Canada.

I believe it, I met another American named Ralph the other day and he also fell into that catagory. :D

, I read the post before you deleted it and even I, who disagrees with American foreign policy, found guest's post offensive. Good on you for deleting it.

Peter.

Caliban
9th May 2004, 07:28 PM
Bob Wilson
I spend most of my life dealing with 16 yr olds. Believe me they don't need to practise their obnoxiousness. :D Why do I always miss the juicy posts. :mad: Keep up the good work .
cheers
Jim(ex spelling Nazi ;) )

Robert WA
9th May 2004, 09:00 PM
READ THE RULES.

He who makes the rules .. rules :p :p :p [/QUOTE]

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

Now you have the complete set and the definitive explanation of Capitalism.

Christopha
9th May 2004, 11:22 PM
I saw it too, I can't see why you all have your knickers in a twist.... come on Ralph.... next bloody question mate!