PDA

View Full Version : 32 LATHES and 1 MILL

bitza500
27th December 2008, 10:53 PM
well guys slowly but surely we are getting a list of owners you do not have to be a Metal worker as all I am doing is tracing the whereabouts of the 18,000 Hercus's that were built
PLUS HERCUS MILL OWNERS OR ANYTHING HERCUS

you are more than welcome to Register and join the Wacky Races to see who finishes second in the restoration game as Footz (Gene) owns a Panel shop won Hands down with a beautifull restoration and there is still a few Hercus Owners who have yet to add their name to the list and so be it as I just want to try and preserve the Hercus Name and keep my ears open for parts as we all are

To the guys who have already discussed their Mill please send me your user name and model Serial Number and year if known and I will add to the collection

Good old Fred hercus made a wide variety of mills, drills, lathes the lot so if you machine has a Hercus name tag let us know

all the best Derek
P/S am still looking for old very old headstock just with a mainshaft nothing else as I need to make a test bench to check 4WD axles for bends as well as many other items I help rebuild nothing fancy as it will have a live centre both ends with a dial indicator
There will be no apron,carraige Crosslides nothing jus 2 centres and a dog and the dial Indicator as these Japenese 4WD's bend very easy

Walter D
30th March 2009, 01:35 AM
Hello Bitza,
Add me as another victim; 9" with QC box; haven't checked any numbers yet but I think it came out of the railway works here in WA. Broken teeth in both Hi & Lo back gears.
Also Tool and Cutter Grinder similar to the one half way down the attached page havent found a serial number yet but it has '10' stamped on each part. Do you know of any literature on these grinders? Cheers, Wal.
http://www.titaniumstudios.com/tooljunkie/paper/MC1966-Grinding.pdf

bitza500
30th March 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Walter, welcome owner No 53 as you have probably read half the threads already
you can see a lot of the old girls are in Full restoration mode and when 75% are being restored parts are also a issue
As you being the first owner from WA how have you fared at finding parts ???
And what colour is the old girl as a lot of government lathes had them specially painted
But we have the manpower and the brain power to strip and rebuild so any problems or any questions just ask that is why I originally started so I could fix my lathe up

And if you know of any other Hercus Owners in WA pass the address on as the more we have the better the Forum will be

all the best Derek
bitza500

As for your broken gear problem myself and a few others are digging up the machines drawings and the cutters to remake new gear assemblies on a Changeover basis as many a Hercus has not had low speed for many years due to the fact the parts are not around

Hopefully within 2 Months a full set of Headstock gears will be available as well a supply of side gears

the fabricator
12th July 2009, 09:54 PM
my school has 6 hercus 260's, a horizontal mill and a hercus (7 inch?) shaper. also 7 drill presses in the same colour, not sure if they are hercus.
i also do not have the numbers, but if at all, you end up with 6 missing lathes, you'll know where they are

i love the horizontal mill though

bitza500
12th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Hi FAB, nice to hear that you have so many Hercus products
Is there any chance you could take a picture or 2 to show us the Mill and the shaper and a lathe or 2 as I have not seen a shaper before and even the drills as Hercus is very lax in PR about what they did make and how many and never kept files or photos

When I first started up the Forum I was trying to find out about the Hercus Lathe but also some History ,but for 18+Months and still have very little on the History and what amount of machinery old Fred Hercus built in SA
As Hercus is a well known Company but try and find something about the Production from 1939 when Fred made the first 9" lathe and all the other size lathes like the 14" Hercus and your Shaper is another example and would appreciate some pics if possible
If you have trouble downsizing to under 100MB apic please email them straight to me as I would file them and then downsize and put them on the Forum

I hope you keep the old girls well mainted as they are a brilliant Machine

all the best Derek bitza500
[email protected]

boilermaker1
13th July 2009, 05:30 PM
110656[/ATTACH]110632
well guys slowly but surely we are getting a list of owners you do not have to be a Metal worker as all I am doing is tracing the whereabouts of the 18,000 Hercus's that were built
PLUS HERCUS MILL OWNERS OR ANYTHING HERCUS

you are more than welcome to Register and join the Wacky Races to see who finishes second in the restoration game as Footz (Gene) owns a Panel shop won Hands down with a beautifull restoration and there is still a few Hercus Owners who have yet to add their name to the list and so be it as I just want to try and preserve the Hercus Name and keep my ears open for parts as we all are

To the guys who have already discussed their Mill please send me your user name and model Serial Number and year if known and I will add to the collection

Good old Fred hercus made a wide variety of mills, drills, lathes the lot so if you machine has a Hercus name tag let us know

all the best Derek
P/S am still looking for old very old headstock just with a mainshaft nothing else as I need to make a test bench to check 4WD axles for bends as well as many other items I help rebuild nothing fancy as it will have a live centre both ends with a dial indicator
There will be no apron,carraige Crosslides nothing jus 2 centres and a dog and the dial Indicator as these Japenese 4WD's bend very easyWhat about the photos of a Hercus gear headed drill I sent you a couple of months ago?

bitza500
13th July 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Boilmaker, either I am going senile earlier than expected but I have honestly no idea you sent me pictures as I have lost a lot of my bloody memory in my head as well as my hardrive due to someting deleting my messages But if you have a picture that shows the whole drill and the Hercus name I will add it to my pile of pictures of all types of Hercus's

I am hoping to find all the machines Hercus made whether in good or bad condition
might even make up a PDF File on the Hercus Machinery if I can get more different machines sent to me but if you send re email me to make sure I have got it

all the best Derek bitza500
[email protected]

the fabricator
13th July 2009, 08:17 PM
im only a student at school, so i probably wont be able to take pics, it is a big shop though, and my teacher might be so proud as to let me broadcast it, but im on holidays for two weeks so it may take a while if i can get them

as for parts, i not sure, we have two machines set up for screw cutting, two for autofeed cutting down to size, and two for knurling, facing, taper turning etc. mainly the last two are for those proceedures because the autofeed has broken