PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Wassily back into shape

Sybarite
28th December 2008, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I am in the middle of restoring my very much loved Wassily (Gavina manufactured) and I would like some advice for restoring the leather.

The leather panels are in mostly good condition but I would like to give them a restorative treatment before reassembling the chair.

The attached image shows the worst section of the leather which is dried and a bit cracked.

I have googled a whole swath of generic advice, but many of the solutions seem to suggest that they might be damaging to the threads holding these pieces together and I would therefore appreciate any better suggestions for treating this (and all the other) pieces.

I do not need to neccessarily hide the damage, I am mainly interested in obviating any further deterioration.

Thanks,

Earl

RufflyRustic
29th December 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Earl,

Personally, I'd go for something as simple as some Jay-el besswax dressing, Waproo brand. A small 45g container cost me $5.70 about 2 years ago from the local saddlery shop here in town. I've also seen Waproo at shops that sell good quality leather goods, boots, clothes, bags, etc.

"Cleans, softens, preserves, restores, polishes and waterproofs all leather articles including boots and showed. Neutral for all colours. may darken light coloured or delicate leathers. DIRECTIONS: Remove dust, place small quantity on soft cloth and apply evenly. Allow to dry before polishing."

I used it on a very old leather motorcycle pouch that had been covered in sawdust for a few years, very stiff, dirty etc. After a gentle cleaning with warm, soapy water (the cloth damp but not sopping) and drying, I applied the Waproo and the leather just drank it in! I kept applying it until it wouldn't take any more, wiped off the excess and then rubbed it back gently but thoroughly. The bag came up a treat, rejuvenated but without losing it's life character.

The saddlery may have other similar products that do the same thing. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Wendy

Sybarite
30th December 2008, 05:50 PM
Thank you for your reply Wendy,

I will have a look into sourcing some of that product.

Just out of interest, do you know how would a beeswax polish differ from something like Dubbin (which I was worried might effect the stitching) or Lanolin (which I have used before on another piece, but again, I am not sure about how it could effect the stitching in the long term).

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Earl

RufflyRustic
31st December 2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Earl,

I had a browse through Waproo's site (http://www.waproo.com.au/waterproofing.htm) and in comparing the Dubbin with Jay-el, I still think the Jay-el would be more suitable, most likely for the feeding, restoring and preserving aspect of it, based on your photo. The Dubbin, more than likely, would be just as good, but my gut instinct goes for the Jay-el.

I believe the lanolin would be fine too, depending on whether it's something like Lanotec (http://www.lanotec.com.au/) and for a specific purpose or a general purpose.

As for beeswax, in particular furniture beeswax, I don't believe it would be anywhere as good as Jay-el, Dubbin or lanolin, in that order.

The jay-el, dubbin and lanolin sink into leather and stitching, as well as being a top coating, whereas the furniture polish or beeswax, to me, would sit on top more. I also think that the furniture beeswax would maybe end up stiffening the leather and decreasing it's length of life. For leather, any product used needs to feed it first and then top-coat it. Does this make sense:?

Stitching - shouldn't be affected by jay-el, dubbin, lanolin or beeswax, especially if it is cotton or linen. I have no idea synthetic thread though.

Cheers
Wendy

NCArcher
31st December 2008, 10:13 PM
The Dubbin would be fine but from memory it doesn't really dry. It leaves a bit of a waxy/oily feel. (note technical terms) Wendy's Jay-el would be a better bet. The saddlery will have special leather restorers and conditioners. We used to use Dubbin on the boots and special conditioners on the very expensive saddles and gear. Haven't had horses for a few years now but spent many hours rejuvenating tack. Dubbin was also good for everyday bridles and stirrup leathers. Good water protection.

Sybarite
1st January 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had the same concern about Dubbin re residual greasiness, plus something I read ( I think it was on the Jay-el site) about amino acids in the tallows used in some products potentially destabilising the threads in the long term was concerning me.

The beeswax I was talking about was the Waproo dressing brand that Wendy recommended - I think that might be the direction I will take.

I have accesss to significant volumes of pure Lanolin from a company called ProLan, whose product is very similar to the Lanotec range - but having used lanonlin before I got a similar after affect to Dubbin.

The critical thing about this piece is that it is an armchair and I would really like to avoid any of the leather treatment or coating transferring onto anyones clothes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Earl

woodhunt
31st January 2009, 07:46 PM
Just buy saddle soap- same looking tin as dubbin. I used to buy mine from R.M.Williams in Sydney. Have restored many leather pieces to supple softness with no greasiness or damage to the stitching. As long as you have no oil or beeswax paste additive attacking the stitching you will be fine.

la Huerta
8th February 2009, 01:58 PM
The Wassily chair...

what a classic. lucky you. :2tsup: