PDA

View Full Version : GMC lathe, turned into a disk sander

robutacion
28th December 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been thinking in doing this modification/add-on, for some time, as the lathe even tough working in perfect condition, isn't getting much use since I got the Nova 1624-44. Another reason to do this mod. was the fact that I need a medium size circular sanding disk, for my tool making/sharpening and other jobs. I got the 230mm pad and disc's, plus a box full of other goodies from our Sandpaper Man, advertised on this forum. Using the original 150mm faceplate, I turned a larger disc made of stable old pine( better thick plywood, if you got some), with a recess for the 150mm faceplate, screw it in and voilą, a 230mm disc sander. The table was made of a off-cut of 8mm floor floating board, the frame in aluminium angle and the post out of a round pipe the same size as the banjo's hole. To stop the pipe to squash when tighten by the banjo knob, I used a piece of solid round steel, 2" long inserted inside the pipe at the base. The fence is from an old electric planner, with the square end shortened and threaded to receive a wing nut or a knob if you have one. The different 12mm holes at the table top, are made so that the fence can be mounted in different positions, allowing different angles and positions in within the table set-up.

The set-up works very well, and the blue disc's are ideal for metal or wood use. A good abrasive cleaner "stick" is essential to keep the disc's clean, just ask the Sandpaper Man, he has a good one!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

watson
28th December 2008, 03:31 PM
G'day,
Very much like Skew's jig from a cupla years ago.
Good use for that kind of lathe IMHO

Texian
29th December 2008, 03:50 PM
Nice job RB. Wish I had a spare lathe. Built some similar stuff and not much hassle to shift it on and off the lathe. Great advice about the cleaner stick. Got my sanding disc from a local rent place that rents floor sanders.

artme
29th December 2008, 04:36 PM
Good stuff as usual RBTC.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
30th December 2008, 02:21 AM
It's workarounds like this that make woodworking so much fun!

Good work RBTCO:2tsup: