PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy resin supplies in Canberra

hutcer
29th December 2008, 01:59 PM
Hi All,
I am just venturing into the world of wooden boat building and have found this forum to be incredibly valuable. I have purchased a kit boat (stitch and glue) but unfortunately the kit was not all that I had hoped for. The instructions call for the use of a product called Cabosil (silica powder) with the West systems epxy that is provided but there is none in the kit (silica powder that is, I have the epoxy). I am unable to get hold of the kit supplier and the local fibreglass supplier is closed for the next two and a bit weeks. Could anyone please advise where I could purchase epoxy thickeners in Canberra? I don't even know what sort of shop to start asking in. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

mcarthur
29th December 2008, 02:24 PM
Botecote has a supplier here - Steve Goodman in Weston Creek. Strangely, the Boatcraft Pacific website (http://boatcraft.com.au/agents.html) doesn't show him as the supplier in the ACT; they only show a Sydney contact for ACT enquiries. I bought some Botecote things from him about 3-4 months ago and he had their thickeners and other stuff. I can't say whether they'll work in the same way with WEST though.

Rob

hutcer
29th December 2008, 07:34 PM
Rob,
Thanks for the advice. I have contacted Auscraft as you suggested and hope to start the project soon. :) Thanks again,

Ed

Willy6664
22nd July 2009, 10:44 PM
Ed,

Saw your early post, curious as to what type of Stitch & Glue boat you were building.

I'm down in Gilmore, and have done 3 Sabres, (third in preps for painting) so have experience with the Epoxies.

for info, West System and Bote-Cote powders are interchangable, basically depends on what colour you want the glue fillets.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Willy . . .

rohinmyson
14th August 2009, 07:31 PM
Steve pulled the plug a few months back. Dave Giddings is the man your after. He runs a company called Drive Marine.

https://www.boatcraftnsw.com.au/index.html

Good bloke, a wealth of knowledge.