PDA

View Full Version : Another (red) Box

Chipman
29th December 2008, 11:29 PM
While out collecting yellow box timber with my FIL, I came across a red box limb that had fallen off some time ago.

I decided to make it into a natural edged bowl. It has quite a few cracks, some have been stabalized with CA. For these bowls, I normally spray them either lwith acquer or finish them with wipe on poly. I didn't have time to do any of these finishes, so I thought I would try Shellawax Cream. I applied the cream and buffed it up by hand with a soft cloth. I am really pleased with the result.

Sanding these things is always a challenge... I am having some success with the paper wraped around a thick rubber sheet. I find a old roll of masking tape is a good former to wrap the sandpaper around when sanding the inside.

How do you others sand these things!

Cheers,
Chipman

PS I have used yellow box and red box.... now there is apple box, white box and grey box to go!

Ed Reiss
30th December 2008, 02:15 AM
Sanding these things is always a challenge... I am having some success with the paper wraped around a thick rubber sheet. I find a old roll of masking tape is a good former to wrap the sandpaper around when sanding the inside.

How do you others sand these things!

Very carefully!!!

Looks good...another success Chipman:2tsup:

Robomanic
30th December 2008, 09:18 AM
Inspiring! :)

Santa and his chainsaw were kind enough to leave me a couple of Apple Box burls, and one huge Red Box burl this year. I am looking forward to getting into them and I love those colours, very Australian.

rsser
30th December 2008, 12:37 PM
I power sand from the bottom up to the lower 'cut out' side, then v. lightly finish off with the bottom of the disc contacting the wood. If the bark is firmly attached, sanding towards it; if not, from it, but the risk of dubbing the edges is high then. Cliff has posted elsewhere about using a thong to present the paper to the wood.

You can also power sand with the piece stopped; with a light touch going through the grades and blending the surfaces it won't be noticed.

artme
30th December 2008, 04:12 PM
Sweet Chippie!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ern has the right idea for sanding.

Another approach is to have someone else sand it!:oo::oo::D

Chipman
30th December 2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice everyone....

I really love the colour of red box... seems more special/refined than red gum. (maybe that is because this is my first time with red box)

Inspiring! :)

Santa and his chainsaw were kind enough to leave me a couple of Apple Box burls, and one huge Red Box burl this year. I am looking forward to getting into them and I love those colours, very Australian.

I am sure you are going to enjoy working with those burls Shannon

I power sand from the bottom up to the lower 'cut out' side, then v. lightly finish off with the bottom of the disc contacting the wood. If the bark is firmly attached, sanding towards it; if not, from it, but the risk of dubbing the edges is high then. Cliff has posted elsewhere about using a thong to present the paper to the wood.

You can also power sand with the piece stopped; with a light touch going through the grades and blending the surfaces it won't be noticed.

Sounds like good advice Ern.... I think some sort of rubber backing (like a thong) that is flexible enough to follow the profile is the way to go. Just have to make sure you keep the leading edge back abit.

I actually am getting more comfortable hand sanding provided the lathe is on its lowest speed.

Cheers and happy new year!

Chipman