PDA

View Full Version : From Big Things Little Things Grow

LiliB
30th December 2008, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone
I'm so impressed with our little Proxxon lathe, I thought I'd post a couple of pics to share with you.

Some time ago, Jefferson was kind enough to demo his beautiful Vicmark 100 mini lathe, and let Dave have a play. No sale, though. Dave thought he wouldn't have much use for a full sized machine. However, I was rather impressed with turning, and got him the micro Proxxon, without telling him. And he's taken to it, like a duck to water, building little bits for our growing wool truck project.

The beauty of the little toy, is it not only lets you turn, it's marvellous for sanding, and ultimately even for painting. Pics below - Jeff and Dave with the Vicmark, Dave with his new toy, some pics of the bits he's making for the truck wheel and axels, as well as the start of the cabin.

I was glad we bought a variety of dowel before Christmas at Bunnings.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

AUSSIE
30th December 2008, 01:11 PM
Lili
Dave looks like he is going along fine with his new toys.:2tsup:
Can you do a work in progress of Daves truck for us please?
I am sure it will help a lot of us forumites,and get some others out of the woodwork and make their own.
Very good Dave
Aussie

wheelinround
30th December 2008, 01:31 PM
:wtg::whs:

LiliB
30th December 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Aussie
The truck is just a sideline at the moment. Dave is building an entertainment unit, and is only supposed to be making his bits whilst the main project is drying etc.

Since there is no plan for this job, Dave is going to have to create his own. We thought the truck was a model T, but have since found out it is a Chev four, and the two vehicles are fairly different, so it's back to the drawing board for me to find detailed photos, etc on the web. I have contacted the Transport Hall of Fame in Alice and the lady from there could be helpful with details.

I have to say that the fire truck was a breeze, in comparison to the more detailed plans from U Build which I bought him for Christmas. You need a heap of mechanical knowledge to work out the exploded views correctly, especially on the trucks. It's lucky he's a mechanic. (I will be interested to see what complexity the Toys and Joys plans have when they arrive later in January)

I was keeping up with his progress with the camera, but every now and again, he sneaks into the shed and comes out with a new bit, a radiator cap, a set of lights etc.

I'll post a few pics as things get going.
Cheers
LiliB

AUSSIE
30th December 2008, 02:32 PM
Great.Keep it up Lili.
Toys and Joys are full size and easier.:2tsup:

Ruddy
30th December 2008, 07:07 PM
A nice project Lili....Its starting look very impressive. Please keep everyone posted when its finished...
Ruddy

artme
30th December 2008, 08:45 PM
Good on you Lilli! keep it coming!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: