PDA

View Full Version : Bald Cypress Vase

joe greiner
30th December 2008, 09:25 PM
Our woodturning club has a bi-monthly challenge, in which a member's name is drawn at random from an envelope. The winner is given a piece of wood by the previous champion, and has two months to produce a piece, which is then given to the next winner. The challenges sort of leap-frog over time. For this one, the species was unknown. I consulted a woodsman neighbour, as well as a local nurseryman, with the log in hand. They both independently suggested Bald Cypress. Their clues were the dark thin bark, and several tiny nubs on the cambium; unfortunately, I didn't photograph the bark.

I first considered a lidded box. After turning the log to a cylinder, I realized a somewhat deep crack on one side. I remounted it to a different centre at one end, to cut below the crack. A single candlestick didn't make much sense, so it became a vase. Initially, the neck was higher. I cut progressively to move the neck to a better-proportioned location, not quite at the golden mean though.

I excavated a bark inclusion and a few knots, which I filled with a mortar of epoxy and key-cutting shavings from local hardware stores - mostly brass, I think, but might also contain some aluminium. I also filled a couple accidental divots.

I drilled it (almost too deep!) to accept a plastic tube. IIRC, my surplus source identified the tube as a container for paint-balls. The drain hole is an afterthought design feature, reinforced with CA.

6 1/4" high, 3 5/8" diameter (160mm, 92mm); finished with EEE-Ultrashine and paste wax.

This timber is a treat to turn. Some hard spots enabled tool bounce and chatter, but I was able to re-cut and sand away most of the irregularities.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome.

Joe

artme
30th December 2008, 10:11 PM
That's a neat little vase Joe. Well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think that is a great way to run a challenge and keep people's interest up.

RufflyRustic
30th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Joe,

beautiful colour in the cypress. I like the size of the base - not very tip-over-able!:D

cheers
Wendy

Chipman
30th December 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice work Joe:2tsup:

I like the shape and the profile. I have to make 3 vases as gifts shortly and that shape is really close to what I have in mind. It is nice to actually see it before I try it!!!!

How do you find the brass goes with your lathe tools? Does it knok the edges about or do you sand only once you get to that stage?

Cheers,

Chipman

Ed Reiss
31st December 2008, 12:02 AM
:2tsup:

joe greiner
31st December 2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you all.

The club calls the challenge a "bring back." Google [woodturning "bring back" OR "bringback"] indicates there are several clubs doing something like it; I'm not sure if "bring back raffle" is the same thing, but I'll ask a more senior member about the history of the process at next Tuesday's meeting.

I overfill the voids to ensure the final cutting and sanding intersects the "aggregate" to create a terrazzo-like surface. This was my first attempt with the brass; previously, I've used coffee grounds. I probably had to re-sharpen more frequently, but it wasn't much of a burden. With each of these projects, I also fill a void or two in a sample turning, to try different materials. Some day, I'll finish turn the sample, and post a WIP/tutorial.

Cheers,
Joe

Hardenfast
1st January 2009, 09:04 AM
Nice piece Joe. Excellent photography too - great resolution. I'm going to get me a better camera.

I'm somewhat fascinated by the brass/metal filling techniques, although I think I like your key shavings more than the brass dust I have seen before. Seems somehow to be comprised of flakes.

So the hole is just drilled? You don't try to shape the inside at all to match the outside? Looking at the piece I'm guessing that this would be impractical, but I have no real experience with hollow forms. That's a nasty looking branch knot there - all part of the challenge, I guess.

Wayne

tc1
1st January 2009, 11:53 AM
Joe, I'm inspired, well done :2tsup:

joe greiner
1st January 2009, 11:50 PM
That's right, Wayne, just drilled, to accommodate the tube. I use a triple-flute Speed-Bore bit, with an extension; it works better than Forstner or spade bit in end grain. Glass test tubes can also work, but the plastic ones are easier to shorten if necessary. To properly hold flowers, a hollow form would need a lining of some sort to retain water, and the tube also helps to maintain alignment of the flower stem(s). On some larger vases, I've hollowed to mate with surplus glass jars and Rolaids containers.

Glad you like it, tc1 and Ed. They're fun to make and well received.

Joe

new_guy90
3rd January 2009, 03:58 PM
wow love the idea of the resin and brass shavings i will have to try that one day

i love the idea of the of this bring it back lottery thing you guys do sounds very fun thanks for showing :2tsup:

Patrick

joe greiner
8th January 2009, 02:13 AM
The Bring Back is pretty much self-sustaining, once established. Clubs can set their own rules, of course. One of our club's founders told me they only needed one turning, and one lump of timber to get it rolling.

A timber raffle, not necessarily a bring back, can also provide funds for club enhancements, rent, etc.

I missed this earlier, Patrick. By all means, give it a go.

Joe

Rum Pig
8th January 2009, 08:59 AM
I have a key cutting machine at work and slowly been collecting the shavings for just that sort of thing. Now I know what to expect I will keep collecting:2tsup:

OH buy the way nice little vase:2tsup::2tsup: