PDA

View Full Version : Converting Auto to Manual

smidsy
31st December 2008, 09:03 AM
Hei Guys,
Got a Mitsubishi L400 Cargo van with an auto tranny that is on the way out - uses lots of fluid and is real baulky on changing from 3rd to 4th.

This van owes me nothing, I got it dirt cheap and I rather like it so I would prefer to fix it (since I'm looking at $10k plus which I don't have to get something similiar) rather than get rid of it - that said, I prefer a manual and if I have to change the tranny would rather go manual.

Has anyone done a conversion like this before, I'm assuming the pedal assembly could come from a wreck, obviously I need (on top of the box) a flywheel & clutch, and complete clutch assembly including hoses etc.

Is this hard to do, anyone got any advice.
Cheers

rod1949
31st December 2008, 12:22 PM
Can't help with your particular modification, but once upon a time I did some modifications to a 1972 Toyota Twin Cab Dyna with ute body... like installed a landcruiser diff centre and diff lock then a Holden 253 V8 (gave me better fuel economy than the original 2ltr motor) then a 5 speed gearbox then decided to convert it to a 4x4 so used a landcruiser front diff and gearbox and transfer case. I fitted Hilux disc brakes to the front diff. I change it from a coloum gear shift to a floor gear shift with the linkage running up over the top of the motor. It was absolutly fantastic vehicle.

So I guess you can do your little modification.:2tsup:

wheelinround
31st December 2008, 03:13 PM
I have not worked on one of these:no:

but along with mounting brackets a tail shaft (as it maybe different length) possibly bell housing if this will adapt to the block then your in luck :rolleyes: often there is need for a floor modifications also depending on the vehicle. Then just hope the diff takes the strain.

Calm
31st December 2008, 09:27 PM
It can be done but by the time you buy all the bits it could end up pretty ecky.

Try to find a full van that you can take the lot out of or get a complete motor gearbox from a wreckers to get all the parts you need in one hit.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Cheers

Purpleheart
4th January 2009, 08:13 PM
Mate, get on to a Mitsubishi Forum or two, and see if anyone can help you out.

:wink:

Christopha
6th January 2009, 12:51 PM
It's a flamin' Missingbitsy fer cryinoutloud! It's worth about as much as a used roll of dunny paper... don't bother fixin'; the thing, go buy a proper car mate.