PDA

View Full Version : WIP Rock Maple bed

Marginata
31st December 2008, 01:22 PM
Well having cleaned and closed the workshop for the festive season I finally have a chance to make something for myself, by myself:U I also have the oportunity to post a WIP so here it is.

For those of you who have checked my section at the bottom of the forum you will know that I recently acquired a large quantity of nice timber. I've decided to make a king size sleigh bed using Rock Maple.

I spent a couple of hours working on the design sketches then another hour or two drawing out a full size template for both the head and foot legs. I used 3mm MDF for the templates but 6mm would have been better.

Once the templates were cut out on the bandsaw and sanded smooth I traced the shape out onto the timber being used for the legs. Fortunately I was able to nest a the head and foot legs together on one peice of 310 x 50mm rock maple so I saved some wastage. After tracing the outlines I cut the legs out on the bandsaw leaving aproximately 2mm waste all around.

I used some very good double sided tape to temporarily stick the template to the rough cut legs, then used a patern following cutter on the router table to shape one of the haed and foot legs to the exact shape of the template. After they were done I used the same tape to secure the freshly routered legs to the remaining rough cut legs and repeated the routering process.

I have included a close up of the double sided tape that I used. I bought it from Spotlight (large fabric and dressmaking store) It is great stuff, very thing and very sticky. It is one of the few tapes that adheres to raw MDF well. It stuck to the maple so well that I had to use a scraper to remove it!

I will follow up with more soon.

Peter36
31st December 2008, 04:59 PM
Looks like it will be a great bed Marginata. I always understood rock maple to be pretty expensive coming from North America :o

Burnsy
31st December 2008, 05:20 PM
Looking good Dave, how was the heat there yesterday. So hot here my coffee table top cupped:((

Got some pictures of the design sketch fo us to gander at?

Marginata
31st December 2008, 05:51 PM
It was damn hot in the workshop yesterday!

Peter36 the Rock Maple usually is rediculously expensive but I was very lucky to recently score a lot of it at a rather good price from a company trying to get rid of all their solid timber:wink:

Pops
31st December 2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Burnsy,

Yep I can vouch for it being hot in Dave's big shed. Was there on a cooler day this week and I was sweating just watching Dave working away. :D

I can also say that the pictures do not do the Rock maple justice by a long shot. Those are beautiful bits of wood, and they are not the better pieces.

Onya Dave. :2tsup: Can't wait to see all the progress shots, going to be a cool bed. :cool: And thanks for taking the time to show me all that timber. :U

Cheers
Pops

Marginata
31st December 2008, 09:24 PM
With a forecast for 39 degrees tomorrow I'm going to give the workshop a miss.

Here are some pics of the legs assembled with cross rails and one with the seide rails propped up on some blocks just to get a feel for the size of the bed.

It was great to catch up with you again the other day Pops. Make sure you show us all some pics of your rock maple projects.

Wongdai
31st December 2008, 10:00 PM
Wowsers, that looks like it is gonna be one cool bed.

I don't suppose you have a drum sander in that shed of yours that will handle 700mm wide table top?

Marginata
31st December 2008, 10:20 PM
Sadly a big drum sander is one thing we don't have. Yet...

Pops
1st January 2009, 05:07 AM
Hi David,

Now that is more like it. I do like the curves.

A little bit French Provincial is it not? A friend had one made similar to that but more pronounced curves, (not Rock Maple though). It is going to be impressive.

Cheers
Pops

artme
1st January 2009, 06:53 PM
Liking the look of that! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Finished article will be worth the wait.

Wooden Mechanic
16th January 2009, 01:06 AM
Hey David,

You got any more done on that bed of yours, been keeping track but no progress reports. Ben to hot I guess.

Harlan

AUSSIE
16th January 2009, 05:10 AM
Hey David,

You got any more done on that bed of yours, been keeping track but no progress reports. Ben to hot I guess.

Harlan
Like Wooden Mechanic say's.
:2tsup:

Marginata
16th January 2009, 08:47 AM
The progress on the bed has ground to a halt due to a long wait for some rock maple veneer. My supplier has been moving premises over the past couple of weeks and has been unable to access their loose sheets of veneers. I should be onto it again next week.

missionaryman
16th January 2009, 11:50 AM
The progress on the bed has ground to a halt due to a long wait for some rock maple veneer. My supplier has been moving premises over the past couple of weeks and has been unable to access their loose sheets of veneers. I should be onto it again next week.

nothing worse than unnecessary set backs when you're onto something good.
we'll keep watching & hope it comes through for you soon.