PDA

View Full Version : Ultra light as a saw fence

beatman191
1st January 2009, 12:56 AM
I was given an ultra light as a xmas gift and whilst looking through the instruction manual i noticed an illustration whereby the router fence was being used as a saw fence.Would this be ok with small pieces of timber or are there safety implications involved.Any advice would be appreciated.:?

Big Shed
1st January 2009, 09:27 AM
I was given an ultra light as a xmas gift and whilst looking through the instruction manual i noticed an illustration whereby the router fence was being used as a saw fence.Would this be ok with small pieces of timber or are there safety implications involved.Any advice would be appreciated.:?

This subject was discussed here (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=56071), you may want to read through it.

beatman191
1st January 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks very much for that quick reply.I followed that link and thereafter nearly fell off my seat laughing at some of the posts. The rules and regs were superb entertainment.I saw that some people used it as a table saw fence and others were against the practice whilst others used the positioner to adjust the triton fence.
Im still confused as to the correct practice if for no other reason than the illustrations on page 42 of the projects book and not the instruction manual as i previously stated.I think i will just use the positioner facillity to adjust my triton fence until i know what im doing .Thanks again for the rapid reply.

damian
7th January 2009, 11:23 AM
Bit late, catching up after hols.

The only issue with using an incra on a tablesaw is the fence rocking around the base. If the positioner is fully extended it could flex causing the fence to move in a shallow arc.

This isn't a problem with a LS positioner. Mine is only attached with 2 bots at the moment yet it is more rigid than many dedicated tablesaw fences. Also remember that a lot of tablesaw fences only clamp at the front so they too can flex.

So if your concerned run a couple of channells front and rear of your tablesaw and make some brackets so you can clamp the fence at each end. That will lock it down so solid you could lift the whole tablesaw by the fence and it won't move.