PDA

View Full Version : Two Horses - sit in rocking - wip

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 01:35 PM
I made a comment on an earlier thread that I'd post my horses, so here goes
Back in 1998 whilst visiting a mate in Hobart my 1st son (then about 8 months) seemed to like the basic rocking horse they had. I grabbed a bit of newspaper and traced it out.
Later that year I made this horse.
Both my sons have loved it and it is still going strong. Am thinking of giving it to some friends as their kids are younger then mine.
On doing canteen duty at my son's school during 2008, the canteen manager commented that she would like a horse for her grandson. I worked out a price and commented that I could do two for a little less each. Anyway she ordered one as did the assistant manager. I then found the original plans (never throw anything out)
92898 92899
I note the date of the newspaper, The Age is 4 April 1998.
The notes say
seat 5 1/4"
footrest 4 3/4"
back 6 3/4" 9 1/4"
All 11 1/2" long
dowel handle 8"
I didn't do a plan of the back, just worked out from the rough sketch on the notes.
I also marked the position of screw holes and location of seats etc on the newspaper plans

It's a pretty simple horse to make, butt joints glued and reinforced with screws

more to come ....

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 01:55 PM
I purchased a long length of 12" x 1" pine. I ended up getting it from Bunnies and sorted through their stock until I found a nice(ish) piece.
I cut out the pieces on the bandsaw (for the original I used a jigsaw). Drilling a hole at the correct diameter for the neck of the horse using a forstner bit. I cut the seat, backrest and footrest on the tablesaw. Then cut out the back on the bandsaw.
I then used double sided carpet tape to hold the two sides together whilst I sanded them even, using one of these (http://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding/sanding-drums-sleeves/sanding-drum-sets/quick-change-sanding-drum-set)in my drill press. One of these (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/sanders/oscillating-spindle-sanders/carba-tec-benchtop-oscillating-sander)might be better. Or if I was going to make any more I think I'd make a template out of MDF and use a flush cutting router bit. Originally I clamped them together and used a belt sander to make them even.
These photos just after cutting out
92904 92905 92906 92907 92908

I then drilled the holes for the eye and the handle (you'll note that I never did an eye for the original) I found a piece of darkish timber in the shed and turned a piece to fit the hole. This photo shows the eye glued in. I flush cut it later.

more to come ...

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 02:21 PM
Next was marking out and glue up. I got too involved in doing this and didn't take wip photos, sorry.
I essentially marked the midpoint for the holes and the length of the particular piece on the inside of each side. I then marked a line up against which the particular piece was to be positioned. I clamped a chock at each such line to give an accurate reference point for the glue up (the idea is shown in the second photo next to the horse's neck). I then clamped the side to the cross piece ie backrest etc. I then glued, checking squareness and position. I then drilled and screwed the pieces together. I've got one of those excellent drill attachments that do the countersinking at the same time. great idea. Next time I think I would use the pocket hole screw system (I didn't think of it until near the end of this project). The head was the most difficult to position as I really couldn't get a clamp on it, in the end I simply held it against the square whilst drilling. I did put a pocket hole screw through the seat into the horses neck for added strength.
92910 92911
The above photos show the final clamping for the glue up (excuse the tidy shed!).
This picture after glue up. With the handle glued in. You'll also note that I've filled the screw holes with 'timbermate' and sanded flush.

more to come ...

wheelinround
1st January 2009, 02:24 PM
Nick a great project and WIP :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
1st January 2009, 02:30 PM
After this I then gave them a thorough sanding. Here they are sitting on the tablesaw during this process (along with another glimpse of the tidy shed)
I gave them about three coats of feast watson. Here they are propped up on jars receiving a coat on the bottom
and finally the finished items
92915 92914
I then carried them to school and handed them over to the ladies. I got some great looks from passers-by as I carried them up to the school. The two grandkids apparently reckon they are great :2tsup:
Comments and questions welcome
Over and out

Old farmer
1st January 2009, 03:48 PM
I think! I remember your earlier post regarding rocking horses and thank you for these which I shall keep, hoping I can manage a tenth as well.

keju
2nd January 2009, 08:19 PM
Love these horses! Can't have anything safer for they under 2's..... close to the floor.. safe seat.... beautiful finish..... very well made....
Perfect! :)

Juvy

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks all
If anybody wants a copy of the plans, I can probably copy them without too much effort

Old farmer
5th January 2009, 09:58 AM
Sawdust Maker, thanks for your kind offer of plans. My concern is the curve on the floor bearing surface. I want to be sure that 2-year-olds, say, cannot turn the horse over.Is there any way you could show the curve, please?

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2009, 09:54 PM
Old farmer
If you look at the 3rd photo of my first post, that essentially shows the the rocking curve, the two knobby bits at each end negate the possibility of a child rocking the horse so far as to tip it over, ie A over T :2tsup:
Hope this answers you question

ps where did you farm?

Chipman
5th January 2009, 10:42 PM
Great Job:2tsup::2tsup:
I am working on a toy version at the moment for a teddy bear

Chipman

Old farmer
6th January 2009, 10:37 AM
Sawdust Maker, I am sorry. My wife tells me I cannot see what's in front of my face! Yes, the knobs answer my question very well. thank you.

Mum''s family have been north of Canberra since the 1840s, on the Lachlan since 1888, but our place is near Crookwell, on the Southern Tablelands as you probably know. Blessed country, although this last Dry was bad for 6 years. Our eldest son, who is working the place now, had a wonderful season last year, but visiting saddens me so I have been back only the once.

Thanks for asking.