PDA

View Full Version : wooden toy manufacturing - sustainable

aroundsquare
1st January 2009, 07:57 PM
hi there,

I'm new to the forum, and looking for some advice.

First, I would like to know if anyone has suggestions about paints and finishes for wooden toys that yield great colors, but are also environmentally friendly, and health safe... things like beeswax finishes and stockmar watercolors, but i'm looking for an easier (and cheaper) solution.

Also, I would like to know if anyone in the forum has experience with larger scale manufacturing... I'm looking for a manufacturer to produces larger volumes of toys in one of my designs (1000 - 10,000 units per order). The crux is that I want a manufacturer who emphasizes sustainability... so reclaimed wood or sustainably harvested wood, as well as all natural coloring would be important.

Thanks very much to anyone who can offer any help

Matt
([email protected])

echnidna
1st January 2009, 08:29 PM
I love production runs
are you in Australia or the US Matt?

Pheonix
1st January 2009, 11:01 PM
Calgary is in Canada!:o

Chipman
1st January 2009, 11:53 PM
Have a think about non toxic water dyes coated in white shellac.... all kid safe.

Cheers,
Chipman

aroundsquare
2nd January 2009, 05:46 PM
Have a think about non toxic water dyes coated in white shellac.... all kid safe.

Cheers,
Chipman

thanks for the suggestion, have you ever tried procion mx dyes with wood? i'm wondering if they would react properly...

aroundsquare
2nd January 2009, 05:47 PM
I love production runs
are you in Australia or the US Matt?

yeah, i'm in calgary, canada... but it's looking like i'll probably be needing to pay for shipping from somewhere... so may as well be australia :) if you want to discuss further, pls email me at matt(at)aroundsquare.com

Chipman
2nd January 2009, 10:48 PM
No, I haven't tried popcorn (apart from eating it:D) but you could just use food dyes too (guess it is much the same)

If you are using acrylics or enamels, check with the paint store or manufacturer to see if it is kid safe. HUMBROL hobby paints are aparently suitable and conform to European Toy Safety Standards. You certainly don't want the hassles Fischer Price and Matel had with Chinese paints that contained lead:oo: No kids deserve that.

Regards,
Chipman

djG
18th May 2009, 04:31 PM
Did you manage to find anyone to do this? I have a similar project (smaller at first and then to build up) and am looking into doing this as well.

I have the cad plans, but need the wooden toys produced.

AUSSIE
18th May 2009, 04:50 PM
Can you tell us why you cant get some place in Canada to make what you want?
Doesnt sound right somehow.

David Mitchell
18th May 2009, 10:12 PM
Did you manage to find anyone to do this? I have a similar project (smaller at first and then to build up) and am looking into doing this as well.

I have the cad plans, but need the wooden toys produced.

Can you give more details
Regards
David:2tsup:

aroundsquare
19th May 2009, 01:24 AM
i found a few manufacturers in south and southeast asia... i've gone through sampling and am at the stage now of choosing a manufacturer to go with. i didn't manage to find anyone in canada or the u.s. that could even come close to making the project cost effective. i want to be able to sell the toys wholesale at some point, so the unit cost can't be more than half a reasonable retail cost. some of the asian factories are willing to work on a small scale. if you'd like details feel free to email me matt(at)aroundsquare.com

good luck!

matt

AUSSIE
19th May 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks Matt
We couldn't compete with Asian countrys either.At a rough guess,we would fit between USA and Canada for costs.We maybe a long way away but we live very well.
Thanks for letting us know:2tsup:
Aussie

keju
19th May 2009, 10:05 AM
I know cost is the big factor, but there are a lot of parents willing now to pay extra to buy really safe toys.... so it's also a matter of what market you're after....
High end fancy shops or market style?

Juvy