PDA

View Full Version : Identification problem

Ralphie
1st January 2009, 10:49 PM
I know it's not a Hercus but you guys are fairly knowledgable. I need help identifying this old lathe. The chuck has a USA inscription on it. I would say some things have been modified. The base and motor set up have. It originally had flat belt drive. It runs well, I was going to use it for small piece work but I think I might sell it. Any ideas as to what it would be worth?? Anyone interested before I put it on fleebay? Hope the pictures are clear enough?:rolleyes:

aljunk
2nd January 2009, 08:23 AM
No idea what it is, looks kinda sweet tho for a vintage machine.

Could you do us a favor and run to your machine and remove the chuck key....... big no-no with a lathe and it creeps me out whenever I see it. I work at a vocational school with 12 lathes and 10 mill etc and I can't count how many times the students have done that and started it up! Scary stuff!

hope I didn't come across too hard
regards
al

Ralphie
2nd January 2009, 08:42 AM
:- Sorry mate, I don't normally do that. It was just to show everything that goes with the machine. I'm an ex Manual Arts Teacher, hope no students are watching and hope you guys will forgive me.
It is a sweet little machine.

aljunk
2nd January 2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah ya gotta hope the students catch the master.... lol!

brittleheart
3rd January 2009, 05:35 PM
Interesting headstock setup.
Looks like an early wood lathe with additional feed screw setup mounted in rest.
The motor gearing is certainly a high speed.
Maybe used for accurate wood machining like pattern making?
Is the headstock mounted in a ball bearing setup?
Regards, Peter

Woodlee
3rd January 2009, 10:19 PM
Could be a metal spinning lathe .If not it would make a good one.

Kev