PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Unit - First Project

pike
1st January 2009, 11:41 PM
I am about to start my first real woodworking project since highschool. I did woodwork in years 8-10 and enjoyed it and have only recently been in a position where i can get back into it.

My first project is an entertainment unit, 1800 x 600 (l x d) and somewhere between 600 and 800 mm high. It will have 6 drawers (3 each side) and an empty section in the middle where i havent decided if i will put dvd/foxtel units or a small wine/bar fridge.

I have drawn up the plans and will start posting photos once i get the project off the ground.

My first question is what do you think the best method for making the carcas is? I was thinking of using a rabbet joint on the top/sides and sliding dovetail joints for the drawer dividers. I dont know if that makes sense without a picture, but any advice would be appreciated.

Marginata
2nd January 2009, 12:41 AM
What materials are you going to use? Solid timber all the way through or combination of solid and veneered boards? That will give us a better idea of the type of joints you could employ.

pike
2nd January 2009, 11:04 AM
I was planning on using solid pine panels from bunnings (1800 x 600 x 19)

Marginata
2nd January 2009, 11:33 AM
With nice flat panels like those you could easily do sliding dovetails, or just simple housing joints. Which ever joint you choose you may like to stop them short of the front of the cabinet to create 'blind' joints.

Juffy
2nd January 2009, 02:23 PM
I was planning on using solid pine panels from bunnings (1800 x 600 x 19)

Just a word of warning - I got a couple of those exact pine panels to use as cupboard doors on my workbench, and they cupped like you wouldn't believe once they went outside. I think the worse one had one edge move by 30-40mm.

Be prepared to keep them indoors or stacked/clamped until finishing, or consider making up the panels yourself.

Christos
7th January 2009, 07:19 PM
Just a word of warning - I got a couple of those exact pine panels to use as cupboard doors on my workbench, and they cupped like you wouldn't believe once they went outside. I think the worse one had one edge move by 30-40mm.

I am sorry to say but I agree with the Juffy on this one. Sometimes the wood from a certain store might not be the best to get.

Good luck on your project.