PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah Burl

Willy Nelson
2nd January 2009, 09:19 AM
Hello All
I turned this burl for a good friend for Christmas.
I have had this burl kicking around the garage for some time and thought my skill levels were sufficient to attempt doing burls.
As you can see, it is quite large approx 45cm
Burls can be dangerous to turn, are messy but look superb. The finish is approx 10 coats of Danish oil. The friend and his family are very happy with it
regards
Willy

chrisb691
2nd January 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Willy,

If you are using Windows XP, download MS ImageResizer.exe from here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx). It's one of the Powertools, and adds image resizing to your right click menu. Very simple to use.

hughie
2nd January 2009, 10:32 AM
Willy a simple method is to email them to your self. In doing so the email software will ask you if you want it resized for emailing etc, tis done. Dont send it just drag and drop onto your desk top and upload from there to the forum

rsser
2nd January 2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Willy,

Welcome to the madhouse.

Look forward to seeing your work.

A free graphic resizer/manipulator is Irfanview. http://www.download.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html?tag=mncol

Sawdust Maker
2nd January 2009, 08:06 PM
I now see the bowl :2tsup:

great effort, looks superb
and ...

welcome to the place of infinite wisdom :rolleyes:

ydna001
2nd January 2009, 08:52 PM
Beautiful work, I love the bead you have done on the top face.

Ad de Crom
2nd January 2009, 09:03 PM
Willy, a really stunning piece of work.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
2nd January 2009, 09:42 PM
:o:o Yum,yum.yum!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

steck
2nd January 2009, 10:14 PM
Fantastic Willy.
And a very nice design too!!
It is a real work of art!

dai sensei
2nd January 2009, 10:16 PM
That is a beautiful piece of timber and you have done it justice, well done :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
3rd January 2009, 12:53 AM
Very nicely done Willy:2tsup: .....and welcome to the forums

Hardenfast
3rd January 2009, 08:17 PM
Excellent work Willy. A very nice piece of timber and well turned. Superb effort, particularly as your first shot at a burl bowl - I now know the trepidation that goes with #1. Large diameter, and with a well formed bead too - makes it all the more impressive. Must have been a little daunting when you first hit the ON button.

BTW, I'm assuming that's you in the photo?

Wayne

Willy Nelson
3rd January 2009, 11:26 PM
Hello Wayne
Yep, she sure does spin fast when that diameter, especially as I deliberately left it chunky, bit of weight involved. The scariest moment was after fitting the Vicmarc (coles jaws type) to the chuck to finish the base. It wound up like a DC10 aircraft propellor.

Nope, The photo is some other good looking gentleman I frequently use as a stunt double

OGYT
4th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Awesome, Willy! And Welcome, to this place. :)

lubbing5cherubs
4th January 2009, 03:24 PM
beautiful burl and turning job
Toni

thecopperfish
4th January 2009, 06:07 PM
Gorgeous piece of work!
Chris