PDA

View Full Version : Wood working or timber quiz 06/05/04

Ralph Jones
6th May 2004, 08:11 AM
Good morning Mates,
If you have a log that is 60.95 centimetres in diameter at the small end and 4.8M long.

Approximately how many board feet of lumber are in that log?

Respectfully, ;)

jackiew
6th May 2004, 09:41 AM
we're in June already ....... did i oversleep?

hmm .... metric log, board feet ..... this could be interesting. Mind you I'm with you Ralph .... metric doesn't come naturally to me either.

craigb
6th May 2004, 10:13 AM
Sorry Ralph I have no idea.

We don't do "board feet of lumber" over here, but rather cubic metres of timber.

Craig

Tonz
6th May 2004, 10:28 AM
About 400 - 425 depending on which formula you use.

PaulS
6th May 2004, 10:39 AM
we're in June already ....... did i oversleep?

Jackiew

this is the american way of presenting the date. Month, day, year.

Tonz
6th May 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by PaulS
Jackiew

this is the american way of presenting the date. Month, day, year.
methinks jackiew's reference was said in jest....

the internationally standardised date format is...

YYYY-MM-DD

If everyone uses this there isn't a problem...

Ralph are you happy to use this format to avoid any further confusion?

Ralph Jones
6th May 2004, 01:14 PM
Good Afternoon Mates,
I have so much to learn about your ways in the land of OZ but, I am enjoying learning as I go and yes, I think when in Rome do as the Romans do and the same holds true for OZ. From this point on I will date all matter by the YY/MM/DD.
Now for the answer to the quiz, since I did not know that you blokes figured in cubic portions of wood, I will explain how we do it up here if nothing else for your information.

A log that is 16' long and 24" in diameter at the small end, you must first remove one inch from each side of the log to remove the bark. So 24 - 4 = 20" now decide that by 4 and you have 5. Now square that number for a total of 25 x 16' = 400 BF of lumber. Depending on the saw kerf, this could be even less but
the 400 board feet is an approximate figure.

Hope this explains a little of our culture to you folks.

Thank you for your support of these quizzes.

Respectfully, ;)

echnidna
6th May 2004, 03:04 PM
Hey Ralph,
About the date thingy,
Why not give the month its name instead of a number, that way anyone knows
May 6 2004
6 May 2004
2004 6 May
2004 May 6
all means the same.

And getting rid of numerals helps those woodworkers who have not got 12 fingers to count up the months on.

Bob Willson
6th May 2004, 03:35 PM
Never mind woodies who haven't got 12 fingers,what about the woodies who haven't even got the normal 10?

craigb
6th May 2004, 03:40 PM
He must have been thinking about the Tasmanians.

(Duck and cover)

silentC
6th May 2004, 03:47 PM
I can count to 31 on one hand and 1023 on two and I've never even been to Tasmania ;)

Tonz
6th May 2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by silentC
I can count to 31 on one hand and 1023 on two and I've never even been to Tasmania ;)
Use your toes too.. then you'll get to 1048575... Now that's a lot of board feet... ;)

Ralph Jones
6th May 2004, 09:52 PM
Hello Friends in the land of OZ,
Since you blokes have or don't have enough fingers and toes for counting the months and to try to make the dates simple I will take the advise and go with day month (spelled out) and year.

Example 6 May 04 or should I install the 20 before the 04 to keep everyone in the same century?

Respectfully, :)

AlexS
6th May 2004, 11:15 PM
SilentC, I thought I was the only one who used binary notation on my fingers. Hmmm...is that binary digital?

Can't remember when I started doing it or where i learned, must have been high school, early 60s. Was my party trick for a while.

silentC
7th May 2004, 09:14 AM
Alex,

I used to program in Assembler and it became second nature.

I find 8 a very difficult number to represent. For some reason, I have no problem with 4. ;)

Tonz, I find it hard to represent anything other than high or low values with my toes, can you recommend any exercises?

Tonz
7th May 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by silentC
Tonz, I find it hard to represent anything other than high or low values with my toes, can you recommend any exercises?

Well, seeing as you asked... :)

The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society recommends the following exercises to help strengthen toes and prevent foot discomfort. Dancers, runners, and, frankly, all shoe wearers will benefit from these simple exercises.

1. Toe Raise, Toe Point, Toe Curl Hold each position for five seconds and repeat ten times. Recommended for people with hammertoes or toe cramps.

2. Toe Squeeze Place small corks or toe guards between toes and squeeze for five seconds. Repeat ten times. Recommended for people with hammertoes or toe cramps.

3. Big-Toe Pulls Place a thick rubber band around big toes and pull the big toes away from each other and toward the small toes. Hold for five seconds and repeat ten times. Recommended if you have bunions or toe cramps.

4. Toe Pulls Put a thick rubber band around all your toes and spread them. Hold this position for five seconds and repeat ten times. Especially good if you have bunions, hammertoes, or toe cramps.

5. The Golf Ball Roll Roll a golf ball under the ball of your foot for two minutes. This is a great massage for the bottom of the foot and is recommended for people with arch strain or foot cramps.

6. Sand Walking Any chance you get, take off your shoes and walk in the sand at the beach. This not only massages your feet but strengthens your toes. Watch out for glass! Good for general foot conditioning.

7. Marble Pickup Place 20 marbles on the floor. Pick up one marble at a time and put it in a small bowl. Do this exercise until you have picked up all 20 marbles. Recommended for people with pain in the ball of the foot, hammertoes, or toe cramps.

Bob Willson
7th May 2004, 12:34 PM
Hi Ralph

6 May 04 should be fine. If anybody doesn't like it, then it is just tough titties isn't it? :)