PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah Ceilings

Mauro
2nd January 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker of this forum and I thought I'd share some of the work I do along with my brother. We're hobbyist wood workers, not professionals. Last year we completed a couple of ceilings in jarrah. We designed, engineered, constructed and installed them ourselves. We were inspired by our love of the timber and the fact that after a combined 30+ years in the building industry, we hadn't seen a single timber ceiling, at least, not in any new domestic dwellings.

I've attached only thumbnails to this post due to the size restrictions, you can view full size images at our gallery here (http://www.emiandmauro.com).

The first image is of a ceiling measuring 3.8 x 4.3 metres. It took almost 10 weeks from design to completion. We designed and engineered it in 5 components with the largest central rectangle being vaulted. There's 530+ pieces of moulding, each hand sanded and individually fitted. It consists of a mixture of mortice and tenon and half lap joints all held together with a countless number of screws. The decorative openings with the stainless steel mesh are to disguise the air conditioning vent. Overall, we estimate it weighs approx. 400kg.

The second image is of a ceiling measuring 3.1 x 3.2 metres. It took almost 7 weeks from design to completion. We designed and engineered it in 3 components with each containg 3 vaults. In order to conceal all fixings we made use of a lot of screws + figure 8 clips. These's a hidden air conditioning outlet in one of the vertical panels of a vault which is only viewable from a specific stand point (not from a general point of view). Overall, we estimate it weighs approx. 300kg.

We're happy to answer any quireies anyone has as we'd love to see more timber ceilings around the place, they're quite beautiful once you're done with the hair-pulling and cursing :doh:

artme
2nd January 2009, 05:29 PM
G'day and welcome Mauro.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That is wonderful looking work you have done there. Congratulations.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

blockhed
2nd January 2009, 09:24 PM
Gee, that is really good workmanship Mauro!
i just looked at the Gallery and all of the pieces are magnificent.
regards
the block

Harry72
2nd January 2009, 09:35 PM
Dont see quality like that much anymore.

Do you do the lead lighting as well?

Mauro
2nd January 2009, 10:04 PM
Harry, I designed the lead light and even cut all the pieces out for one pane, however, I lacked the experience to assemble it so I got a pro to finish the job.

Marginata
2nd January 2009, 10:19 PM
Um... pretty serious hobyists then Mauro? I've just had a look at your very impressive gallery as well. Great work:cool:

Burnsy
2nd January 2009, 11:02 PM
I am with Marginata on this one, beautiful work and extremely well exectuted :2tsup: for someone who does it for a hobby:wink:

Last time I saw ceilings like that was in some pubs in Tasmania.

Mauro
3rd January 2009, 08:30 AM
Marginata, my brother and I have no formal training in wood working, none of our work has been done for profit and we don't do it full time, so I think that classifies us as hobbyists.

Our work reflects our passion and we try to do our best with every piece we make, so yeah, you could call us serious :U

Harry72
3rd January 2009, 07:45 PM
So is this work your own house's?

Mauro
3rd January 2009, 08:59 PM
Harry, yeah, it's in my home.

Peter36
3rd January 2009, 10:10 PM
Absolutely magnificent work Mauro . Just a question though, what line of work has kept you busy in the building industry for a combined total of 30+ years :)

Mauro
4th January 2009, 07:10 AM
Peter, that'd be Painting & Decorating.

Peter36
4th January 2009, 11:08 AM
With the attention to detail shown in your ceilings, you would have to be working in the top end of the market then and not for the project home builders :)

Cheers
Peter

Harry72
4th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Harry, yeah, it's in my home.
Sweet!:2tsup:

Ben from Vic.
4th January 2009, 09:03 PM
I really like the ceiling in the second pic.:2tsup:

jackliveshere
5th January 2009, 08:02 PM
Mate this is nice work!! Well done Mauro!! Amateur.....sure :;

Cheers,

WILL

Yawally
14th January 2009, 06:17 PM
Gee whiz would hate to see what you could do if you took your hobby up professionally!!!
Loved your Gallery and the way it is presented is fantastic...well done to you both.:2tsup: