PDA

View Full Version : Template Manufacturing

barrysumpter
20th January 2001, 09:17 AM
Hi all,
I been working with projects that need templates. As you know the slightest imperfection in the template shows up on you project.

Does anyone know where I can get templates made professionally or with a machine ?

I can make them by hand easy enough but getting the curves, circles, and whirllie bits properly smooth is hard. (Like the french cabriole legs)

Any articles or web pages with making temples would be appreciated.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Harry
21st January 2001, 09:40 AM
I once did a project with a friend of mine where he was very good at woodturning and I work with graphic computers as my full time job and woodwork is number one pastime. Our individual skills met as my friend needed to replicate his drawings for lids for his turned bowls. He gave me his freehand drawings (which where pretty good as he can also draw well) and I scanned them. Using those images as templates (computer ones) I redrew them in a computer application called Adobe Illustrator and copied them to disc. Now that's where I left off as he took the disk to a place that had a machine that used a laser to cut through MDF, and could read my drawings as a giude to its operation. The result was a perfect replection of my drawings and his designs cut into 3mm MDF. Apparently as you could imagine the laser can cut through thicker MDF and timber. My friend has had drawing done that utilises a whole sheet of MDF with numerous pieces cut at once. I'm sorry I can't give you the cost, name of the machine, name of the company or other details but this may be of help as I was amazed at the result but never before did I know it was possible.

barrysumpter
21st January 2001, 11:10 AM
Hi Harry,
This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Could you see if your friend can recall the details?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Iain
21st January 2001, 11:13 AM
I am aware of a place in Bayswater that laser cut plastic, I do not know the name but they cut some plastic forms for me a few years ago. I am sure you could find them in the yellow pages under plastics, cutting or whatever. I cannot quote a price either but I know I paid about $100 for 6 sheets of plastic that was cut out to fit in a case for me. Try http://www.lacs.com.au/
could be a starting point and they may point you in the right direction.

Came in over the top of me Barry, got to be quick havn't we?

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 21 January 2001).]

John Saxton
22nd January 2001, 09:11 PM
No intention or putting a fly in the ointment here so to speak,but are all the old skills disappearing whereby craftsmen made their own templates to cope with the job at hand.
I have a friend who has totally restored a steam engine workshop and some of the templates held in storage there is indicative of the skills the old guys in the trade possessed when a template was required for a casting or somesuch utility.
They weren't aware of steam bending when making up these templates and one is given to wonder in awe if you will at the techniques applied to achieve their aims in those day's.
Just some food for thought!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

ubeaut
23rd January 2001, 07:31 AM
Johnno - You used the magic words in your post IN THE TRADE, that is why they posessed such knowlege and abbilities. Today the majority of woodworkers are hobbiests and many of the tradies are not shown the old way of working. How many woodturners have used a treadle lathe, carpenters an adze or hand drill, french polishers French Polish.

A fovourite saying of North Queensland woodturning legend Tiny Hayes when asked for tips of the trade, was: "Learn the trade!"

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS: You can pretty well bet that they were aware of steam bending. They may not have used it but they would have known about it for sure. The templates would most likely have been made by pattern makers who are a woodworking breed unto themselves

Harry
23rd January 2001, 09:36 PM
Sorry the for late reply and scetchy response Barry how about trying the yellow pages under Laser Cutting or even try the bigger sign writers around the big cities.