PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

DuncanH
2nd January 2009, 11:27 PM
Well it seems that a burl probably wasn't the best choice for a first bowl (took me the best part of the afternoon to get the shape and hollow it out :rolleyes:) but I think it worked out ok. Perhaps the wall thickness might be a bit big, but it seems to work proportionally I think :? I haven't put a finish on it yet, so that'll be tomorrow's job hopefully. Sorry about the crappy photos (took them on a camera phone). I'll put up a few proper photos when the finish has gone on.

Oh, and the timber is rose myrtle burl :-

http://www.snoove.com/bowl1.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/bowl2.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/bowl3.jpg

Ed Reiss
3rd January 2009, 12:26 AM
The base seems a bit large, but otherwise ...:welldone:

Ad de Crom
3rd January 2009, 02:09 AM
Not bad at all for your first attempt. Yes the wallthickness is a bit to fat.
Nice work. :2tsup:

Ad

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 08:44 AM
Duncan
Great attempt at your first. What is the timber and what are you going to use to finish it?
I'd agree with Ed on the base, but what the heck it's not going to fall over.
With thickness you'll find that with experience you'll get the walls thinner and thinner. Burl bowls need a tad thicker wall in any event given their instability
great effort :2tsup:

oldiephred
3rd January 2009, 10:11 AM
Beautiful piece of wood! The first attempt is always special and you should keep it so you can see the progress. Very nice job.

artme
3rd January 2009, 11:00 AM
Beautiful chunk of timber Duncan!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A keeper so you can use it to check your following pieces and therefore your progrees.

munruben
3rd January 2009, 12:02 PM
First attempt? Wow. looks good.:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 04:07 PM
Feeling ambitious, eh? :D

I'd agree with t'others about the wall thickness and base size, but considering that it's your first bowl - and from burl at that - very nice.

And the finish you've chosen is...?

DuncanH
3rd January 2009, 05:16 PM
Feeling ambitious, eh? :D
Quite :p

And the finish you've chosen is...?I didn't get around to putting a finish on it today, but I'm thinking a satin/semi-gloss polyurethane.

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 09:34 PM
I didn't get around to putting a finish on it today, but I'm thinking a satin/semi-gloss polyurethane.

:o Hmm, I think most would recommend something like Rustins Danish oil
By polyurethane I imagine you are thinking feast watson or estapol or similar

ydna001
3rd January 2009, 09:38 PM
Well done, your a natural!! I love the colors in that piece of myrtle.

Willy Nelson
5th January 2009, 01:02 AM
Wow, First bowl, I cringe now when I see my first bowl. I reckon it looks great. Burl does need to be left chunky if there are cracks and fissures etc. Maybe the base is alittle large, but whose isn't.
Very ambitious for a first bowl, maybe we haven't got the full story, good effort though, would like to see the finished product

DuncanH
5th January 2009, 02:57 AM
Very ambitious for a first bowl, maybe we haven't got the full story
Which part of the story do you mean? I left out the part when I was swearing profusely at every dig in, but I thought most people here would be more than familiar with that sort of thing :p

kruger
5th January 2009, 04:47 AM
i like it.

the wallthickness and the color make me think: that is a stone bowl.

the oil of pip of grapes makes a matt finishing.

OGYT
5th January 2009, 05:42 AM
That's a beautiful bowl. I like the thickness for burls, and heck, it's sittin' on the bottom, so if it's' a little large, no worries. :)
Well done. I still have my first, and I don't like to look at it. Yours will be easy for you to look at years from now.

Rum Pig
5th January 2009, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with most GOOD first effort and I do not think I would have been game enough to make my first bowl out of such beautiful timber:no:
I also think an oil would be better that polyurethane.