PDA

View Full Version : Information required on an unknown lathe

Dennis Reeves
2nd January 2009, 11:39 PM
G'day folks, I am a new member who has often visited this site while "surfing" woodwork sites.

I have been dabbling with wood for 40 years and like all boys - never grew up with my wants list. But I have a few tools accumulated over the years and have made Colonial style reproduction furniture which I design myself. Woodturning is something that I have barely played with although I loved it. Out of interest I even tried an American Amersaw router lathe which I still have but only use it for fluting. How unreal can you get! Everyone thought I was so smart doing rope twists. So I claimed credit, shut up, and moved on!

I recently accepted a lathe that was going to be thrown out. I wanted it for a friend who is 87 and loves playing with tools etc. The lathe cleaned up well and appears to work fine. It unfortunately did not have a face plate with it so I am on the lookout for a suitable one.

It is 1000 mm between centres.
356 mm swing diameter
It has a Trademark of SM and I believe its model number is G 1000
I/2 h.p. single phase motor
4 speed: 1700 - 2485 r.p.m
Weight: 36 kg.

Can anyone tell me anything about this brand or lathe?
Thanks heaps if you can

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2009, 12:03 AM
Welcome to the Forum Dennis

Your best bet would be to identify what size the spindle thread is, then you'd be able to buy an after-market one.

Without seeing it, I'd be guessing that it'd be 1"x10tpi, 1"x8tpi or maybe 3/4" one. Measure the diameter of the thread and then count how many threads there is in an Inch.

I'm just a bit further up from you in East Warbie, if you like I could drop in with some of my inserts to check the size for you.

munruben
3rd January 2009, 12:15 PM
You wont get a better offer than that D R. I can tell you that for nothing. Good onya DJ:2tsup::2tsup:

Dennis Reeves
3rd January 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the greeting mate, D.J's Timber has made contact as well on obtaining a faceplate so I'm starting to cruise.

BazzaDLB
3rd January 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the greeting mate, D.J's Timber has made contact as well on obtaining a faceplate so I'm starting to cruise.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome and you have received the typical friendly and helpful welcome from the 'Woodwork Forum'.

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2009, 03:05 PM
Have received some measurements from Dennis via PM and this is what he has given me.

11/16 wide, and is 11/16 long with 8 tpi over that length

Which in metric is approx 17.5 with the thread at roughly 2.2mm and from what I can find from looking at thread charts and from the choices of inserts available from Jim at CWS, I'm guessing it to be a M18x2.5mm thread. Could also be an M18x2mm but couldn't find any inserts in that size, so I'll hook up with Dennis and measure the thread and dia with my callipers and hopefully we'll get it sorted for him :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2009, 05:36 PM
Dennis has just been and gone, the lathe is one of those pressed sheet metal lathes that was made about 20 yrs or so ago, similar to this one. Have identified the thread as M18x2.5mm. So have told him to give Jim a call next week after he opens back up :2tsup: to see what he can do for him.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rGy8yea2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 07:16 PM
Aha... a disk sander! :innocent:

I've one just like it rattlin' around here somewhere...

artme
3rd January 2009, 08:14 PM
Welcome aboard Dennis.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You should be able to find the parts you need. I hope the machine proves suitable to start you on the downhill slide to total addiction! :D:D